Carbon Bike for winter ?

robrauy
robrauy Posts: 252
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm about to start building a new bike - planning on either a Planet X or Ribble Nero Corsa frame - as an upgrade to my current 7005 Tiagra based bike.

My wife is showing signs of nicking my current bike, so was wondering if it would be suitable to use a carbon based frame all year round ? Last winter was hard on my bikes, but I kept them in good condition with regular cleaning...

Many thanks for your thoughts...

Rob

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Will be fine.
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    A club mate of miine has been using his carbon Trek bike all year round for 10 years now without any problems... as long as you look after it you shouldn't have any problems with the frame - the alloy components on the other hand, will need some care to keep them safe from corrosive salt on winter roads.

I've got a Deda Nero Corsa frame and it's the biz... but then again, the Planet X looks like a great frame too. Its all down to which frame fits you.
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • robrauy
    Cool - Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping that would be the general opinion.

Now I just have to decide which frame to buy :?

Rob
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I've used my Scott CR1 all year round for the last 3 years, without any issues. I used SKS raceblades last Winter for added protection and they done the job well.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Sorry to hijack yet another thread but titanium is the best material for a year-round frame - as long as you're prepared to run with slightly cheaper "training" wheels allied to "rain" tyres in winter, then stick your best wheels on for summer with super-slicks.

If carbon is your choice then I might recommend something similar, don't spend too much on the frame, and get two sets of wheels, e.g. Campag Khamsin for winter, and Zonda or upwards with light slicks such as Ultremos for summer. There's some nice Bianchis out there which could send you down that pathway, or even cheap Claud Butler(!) bikes such as the Torino if you don't mind using Shimano.
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    As other have said carbon should be ok for winter weather, however, bear in mind you could be more proned to coming off in the winter from icy/wet condtions. Carbon and spills/accidents are not know to go well together. Worth having a cheaper bike for the worst conditions.
  • Pat Murray
    Pat Murray Posts: 95
    edited June 2009
    double post
  • Pat Murray
    Pat Murray Posts: 95
    PianoMan wrote:
    Sorry to hijack yet another thread but titanium is the best material for a year-round frame - as long as you're prepared to run with slightly cheaper "training" wheels allied to "rain" tyres in winter, then stick your best wheels on for summer with super-slicks.

Could you please explain in material technolgy terms why titanium is better then carbon in winter?

Other of course, than you have a titanium frame and its the best!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yes - please explain why titanium is better than a material that doesn't rust and doesn't corrode. Why WOULDN'T carbon be suitable all year round?
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Pokerface wrote:
    Yes - please explain why titanium is better than a material that doesn't rust and doesn't corrode. Why WOULDN'T carbon be suitable all year round?

The only reason I guess is that titanium MAY survive a fall better than carbon.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Exactly.

Incidentally, I'm not alone. Plenty of others in our club want to wrap their carbon bikes in bubble wrap for six months because as their "racing" bikes, the carbon machines live very precious lives. They hate seeing them get dirty, as if that's going to stop their Ribble winter trainers getting dirty too :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ironically, it's my carbon bike I'd be more concerned about racing, although the Ti will be my everything else bike.
  • robrauy
    Planet X frame and forks at around £400 is currently winning my vote - Very friendly pre sales service from the person I spoke to yesterday...

Good plan re having 2 sets of wheels - It'll be a campag bike, so I was thinking of Ksyrium elites for summer and maybe a second hand pair of Aksiums for winter use.