Frequent Punctures

Cookie87
Cookie87 Posts: 18
edited June 2009 in The workshop
Bit of a newbie question, but anyway...

Been riding my commute bike fairly regularly recently in London, as well as a fortnightly longer ride of 30 miles or so, and seem unable to avoid punctures. I am using 700x25c Continental Ultra Race tyres inflated to recommended pressure (120psi) and they currently don't seem able to do any more than 40 miles without a puncture. Tyres have done just shy of 800miles total, although I am fairly hard on them.

Have checked the tyre itself for any objects causing the repeated puncturing. The punctures do seem to occur on the tyre side (as opposed to the inside of the wheel side) of the tube, and have been fairly regular on both front and bike tyres, although more so on the front.

Is a new set of tyres likely to be required? I was thinking of moving up to some entry level training tyres with kevlar protection.

Cheers for any guidance!
Ridgeback Flight T2 2008

Comments

• rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    120 sounds like maximum psi try 115 ish, also feel the inside of the tyre for anything sharp and remove it.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I had this problem. In the end I changed the tyres to Michelin Kryolin Carbons from Bontrager Hard Case.

Basically I checked on here and got lots of great advice about not pinching the tube and removing the value nut etc, checking the wheel for flints.

But the real problem was I trashed my tyres when I first bought them and did not have a track pump and did not always pump the tyres to 116 psi.

So my advice would be get a great pair of tyres and make sure you pump them up regularly (weekly) to ensure they are not damaged.