Is monkey really the source of true happiness?

Naveed
Naveed Posts: 728
edited June 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Just think of the endless bike gear you could buy. No worries about paying the bills, no mortgage, heck you could even buy a new partner.

Surely money really is the key to everything?

Discuss

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nah, having a 10 inch truncheon and a supermodel wife ;-)
  • Naveed
    Your Zaskar carbon looks like a source of true happiness, but I bet it cost, so money bought you that happiness.

Therefore money really is the SOURCE of happiness.
  • supersonic
    Photo0060.jpg

Yes she does invoke feelings of warmth and happiness.

Garden is looking nice too.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Any one who says money doesnt matter has never been poor
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Define "true happiness"?

Can money make you happier, sure. Can it alone bring you happiness, no.
  • Naveed
    Super

That bike is bliss. I think it's the carbon, aluminium rarely evokes such feelings of warmth
  • keirtristan
    keirtristan Posts: 296
    There's a difference between it not mattering and being able to buy happiness. Wealth helps enrich your life but true happiness comes for free.

Wealth = bike, car, snowboarding etc
    Tue Happiness = family, friends.

To be honest I'd give it all my goods to hear my daughter laugh or my spend a day with my friends catching up.
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    2 years ago i had loads of money due to a good job, trouble is i had no time to enjoy that money, then last year i had a few medical problems that resulted in me being on the sick for a while which then led to me being made redundant, fast forward to now i have naff all money but naff all stress also, I get to spend lots of time with my family especially my 3 year old girl who i barely knew due to working 70 hours a week, I ride most days and have a totally different outlook on life....Work sucks big time and money certainly isn't everything 8)
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    if you lot dont want the small amount of cash you have please send it to me and i will tell you if it makes me happy.
    PM me and i will send my address :D
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    if you lot dont want the small amount of cash you have please send it to me and i will tell you if it makes me happy.
    PM me and i will send my address :D
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    Yes... :twisted:
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • supersonic
    FSR Si wrote:
    2 years ago i had loads of money due to a good job, trouble is i had no time to enjoy that money, then last year i had a few medical problems that resulted in me being on the sick for a while which then led to me being made redundant, fast forward to now i have naff all money but naff all stress also, I get to spend lots of time with my family especially my 3 year old girl who i barely knew due to working 70 hours a week, I ride most days and have a totally different outlook on life....Work sucks big time and money certainly isn't everything 8)

Very much agree with that mantra.
  • Naveed
    I agree too guys - Life is too short for the career crapola. Just live it, avoid stress and enjoy riding.
  • Money isn't the source of all happiness but it's just one less thing to worry about. That's all I want really, enough money not to have to worry about it.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    money does not bring true happiness, however, it can buy things that help.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Not having to worry about it is bliss (having been very worried years ago) but not plans or ambitions to be a multi millionaire. Used to live in Surrey where money is too important. Down here, if you try and flash your cash, you get ignored.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Aye you can have all the money in the world but you really NEED friends, family n a bit of love to be happy.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Stoo61 wrote:
    Aye you can have all the money in the world but you really NEED friends, family n a bit of love to be happy.
    +1
    fam, friends, and trails, are more important than money
    I like bikes and stuff
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    supersonic wrote:

+0.5

you still need money to keep the supermodel wife/gf. :lol:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    all money buys you is choice.....

choices can lead to happiness, but not always......

as matt says....I am happy that i do not have to decide between whether to pay the gas bill or buy food etc anymore....but knowing i could survive if my cash flow got cut is also a source of well being.

How much you earn doesn't really come into it.....the more you earn the more you spend...if you can live within you means then you can concentrate on the happy stuff.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    soy_sauce wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

+0.5

you still need money to keep the supermodel wife/gf. :lol:

nah, if she tries to get away, you can just club her with the truncheon :wink:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553

nah, if she tries to get away, you can just club her with the truncheon :wink:

assault with the friendly weapon!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Naveed wrote:
    I agree too guys - Life is too short for the career crapola. Just live it, avoid stress and enjoy riding.

Here you go Naveed...
    Proposed to the girl who calls me her 'soul mate' a month ago, and it is now all off and we don't see a future together becuase she is chasing a career - and I know it is the biggest mistake of her life but I lover her so have to emotionally support her. Chasing money and careers, and even dreams over appreciating what you have in life can be a path to self destruciton.
    So this super model girlfriend you don't have, gonna stop wishing and start loving?
  • johnnyboy29
    johnnyboy29 Posts: 100
    Moneys nice and it does take alot of burden away from you. But unless you've won it or have a money tree down the bottom of the garden its fookin hard work to get hold of. As the song says " the best things in life are free" !!!!! :D
    In the words of the GLC - Suicide is messy but it's money for free!!!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Money does not make you have and Arnie knows it:

"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million."
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • i'd go for the other well known saying, money is the root of all evil!

i'm quite fortunate in that i have a good job and my parents are in a position to help me out if necessary (although i would never ask them unless desperate) and i have to admit it makes my life a whole lot easier (not happier). I can understand people having money worries when they cannot afford bills, food, so on but i wouldn't say you NEED money for happiness!

i mean i'm hardly wedged, i earn enough for bills, food, house and to save a little for those rainy days, like buying an orange 5 sometime this year provided my house doesn't fall down!!. It depends on you as a person really, you only have to look at some celebs (loaded as they are) and still they're depressed on medication, completely f**ked in the head.

Also i think if you work towards something (buying the 5 for example) you appreciate it more when you finally have it.
  • Surf-Matt
    I think everyone should be utterly skint at some stage in life - it teaches you an awful lot and helps you avoid it at all costs!

Seen both sides of the coin and learned a lot from both.
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    FSR Si wrote:

superb point, money doesn't bring you happiness, it helps, but it can also go against you
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    i think i need my eyes tested as i read the title as 'Is monkey really the source of true happiness'
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • Surf-Matt
    it was for poor old MJ