mountain bike v cyclo-cross

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
I'm a through and through roadie, living on the road forum.
But a couple of mates have decided mountain biking on the Sussex Downs, is the 'new' thing. (luckily they are so fickle it will only last 6 months)

Anyway they are badgering me to join them, and I'm sure they are having a good laugh, but don't want the outlay for a bike, I don't really want, lets face it fellas mountain bikea are for gaylords. :lol:

Will a cyclo-cross bike hold it's own, on dry downlands (they will never ride in the wet) with a couple of unfit novices?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    PostieJohn wrote:
    I'm a through and through roadie, living on the road forum.
    A witch! A witch! Were's the rope and firelighters?
    PostieJohn wrote:
    lets face it fellas mountain bikea are for gaylords. :lol:
    What about we watch Brokeback Mountain and discuss this while sharing a hot tub? :twisted:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are skillfull and very fit, go for it! But when they leave you for dead on the downs, and are in total comfort, you'll be screaming for some tyres that actually grip, good suspension, better gear ratios and brakes not in silly positions.

;-)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well if that is all they are planning you should not have a problem,

But i would be wanting to see the route before.

Lets say this not to long ago someone entered an XC race (CIi i think) on a cyclo cross bike and won!

Otherwise be prepared to carry the odd bit.

Have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    supersonic wrote:
    If you are skillfull and very fit, go for it! But when they leave you for dead on the downs, and are in total comfort, you'll be screaming for some tyres that actually grip, good suspension, better gear ratios and brakes not in silly positions.

;-)

where is that Tomac picture when it is needed. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    Oh here it is

Johnny_drop_jump.jpg

If you decide on a new bike :wink:

_MG_5676_bdot.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    MTB with a silly bar they are!
  • PostieJohn
    supersonic wrote:

;-)

I doubt I have to be skillful, as Stephen Hawkins could ride away from these goons (one of whom who might be here, as I lead him this way when he told me of his latest craze).

I can't see tyres being an issue, as that would require them being 'extreme', instead of talking about it!.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    believe me, you will need to be skillful.

Riding a CX bike across any given bit of offroad terrain is much more demanding technically than riding an XC bike over the same section. If you are not skillful enough, you will just end up falling and / or walking ... a lot

up to you. I say go for it, but you are very disparaging about your "friends" don't expect any sympathy from them if it turns out you've bitten off more than you can chew

you're other choice is what's becoming known as Monstercross.

peregrine%201.jpg

you can even put gears on it ... if you don't think you're man enough :wink:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • PostieJohn

up to you. I say go for it, but you are very disparaging about your "friends" don't expect any sympathy from them if it turns out you've bitten off more than you can chew

You've met us then, :lol: