Bar-ends

xstrathyx
xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Morning all

Bought my bike a few weeks ago, and got it with specialized bar ends put on. I am noticing less and less folk use them. Are bar ends "old school" or are more and more folk using different things?

Personally i like the riding position with them on the bike, but then I am not offroading quite yet lol

Thoughts....?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    xSTRATHYx wrote:
    Are bar ends "old school"
    Very. But I still use them on my retro-90s throwback Proflex - they work well with narrow, flat bars.

But using bar ends on risers is just asking for a visit from the MTB fashion police.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    They don't seem to be very trendy at the moment, partly due to the idea that they don't 'go' with riser bars. I've got some on my hybrid and wouldn't be without them- I'd put some on my MTB too if I could get rid of the nagging worry they'd catch on things* and have me off.

*Before anyone starts, I'm well aware of just how unlikely this is, but still... :?
  • xstrathyx
    pardon my ignorance, but what do risers look like? i have a trek 3900 (2009 model) are risers only seen on high performance bikes?

fear i may need to hide from MTB fashion police lol
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    I find its nice to have a different hand position for longer rides/climbs and commuting, but for shorter xc rides/races they don't make much difference at all. Can also be a bit of a pain if you crash, as impact on the bar end can bend the bar. Had to trim an alu bar for this reason last year, though suspect if it happens to carbon, it may need replacing? I still have them on both bikes, but if the Scott's carbon bar gets damaged, may think again!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I put mine back on yesterday after looking at a vid on the charge website where some guy was having 'adventures' and saw that he had them flat (horizontal) forward. The lead to me putting mine bakc on and giving it a go with them so low.

Mine are the Specialized 'Bar-Endz' so they are alot smaller than the normal "bar on my bar" and are moulded rubber so are very comfy.

I have yet to reach a verdict on the flat angle or whether I prefer them being on for climbing, will be heading out soon and will let you know after I have hit a few hills.
  • .blitz
    xSTRATHYx wrote:
    pardon my ignorance, but what do risers look like?
    Risers = not flat
  • xstrathyx
    poop.....just looked on google and noted my bike has risers and i have bar ends on!

doh me! (still wet behind the ears about bikes) since i havent really ridden one in years

Apologies
  • .blitz
    xSTRATHYx wrote:
    poop.....just looked on google and noted my bike has risers and i have bar ends on!
    Just stay away from the trail centres and only go out at night and you will be OK =]
  • xstrathyx
    noted blitz

oh the shame, will not be able to tell the grandchildren in time!

leads me to think how hard would it be to remove them? (google time me think lol)
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I thought about getting some when I had flat bars but the fear of them catching on something put me off, but If you like them keep them on, V to the fashion police!
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Eranu wrote:
    V to the fashion police!

+1
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    First saw bar ends on bikes in the mid 80's, we used to have organised rides over at Wendover and Dorking.

The group usually was 20-30 and new people were always turning up, some with bar ends, our advise was take them off.

They were OK in open riding but when it came to riding in the woods, through brambles etc they were dangerous.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Took my carbon Bontrager bar ends off last weekend and fitted some decent new grips. Much better feel TBH and no snagging the fauna :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bar ends aren't dangerous, riding into trees is dangerous :lol: If you get a set with an inwards curve or horn, then by the time you can get them caught on something you'd crash anyway even without them, so it's not really a problem.

If you like them, keep them. There's various reasons bar ends aren't popular now but it is IMO mostly fashion. But also, wider higher bars already do a lot of what they did for us back in the day, so the advantage isn't as huge. I put a set on the Scandal but I just didn't use them, tried it again with a flat narrow bar and bar ends and straight away I was using them.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Bar ends aren't dangerous, riding into trees is dangerous :lol: If you get a set with an inwards curve or horn, then by the time you can get them caught on something you'd crash anyway even without them, so it's not really a problem.

If you like them, keep them. There's various reasons bar ends aren't popular now but it is IMO mostly fashion. But also, wider higher bars already do a lot of what they did for us back in the day, so the advantage isn't as huge. I put a set on the Scandal but I just didn't use them, tried it again with a flat narrow bar and bar ends and straight away I was using them.

Yeah but to be honest your handlebars wont "snag" on brambles or branches whereas bar ends can (I know this from experience) it doesnt mean if you didnt have them you would crash anyway, because a knock to your handlebar can easily be recoverable whereas a snagged barend isn't.

Thats why there dangerous in confined riding conditions.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Square ones can be, but if they stick inwards like many good ones do then you're not likely to get snagged unless you seriously screw up. Me, I just don't ride into trees, I find it preferable :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    They're coming back - mark my words! Smica are the only ones to have 8)

We'll also all be tucking our shirts in by the end of the Summer. Well, I won't, but you get my drift...
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • edberwick
    edberwick Posts: 8
    Eranu wrote:
    I thought about getting some when I had flat bars but the fear of them catching on something put me off, but If you like them keep them on, V to the fashion police!

Sorry but what an odd atitude to have. If it is comfortable then use it. I have Azonic DWalls and a 45 Deg stem cos it works and i am happy with it. i ride an On One Inbred and it feels sweet.... Used to have an orange X1 hmmmm old skool steel..