Forum home Road cycling forum Tours, routes, audaxes & organised rides Sportives/audaxes/training rides

Going to Marmotte. Advice needed on insurance?

lfcquinlfcquin Posts: 470
Hi Guys,

I am off to do the Marmotte next week. I have been thinking about travel insurance, but because this is kind of specialist then I have been struggling a bit. I wondered what the rest of you guys do?

I have BC Silver membership, so I am covered for 3rd party, but I need cover for bike theft/damage and personal injury. Just like if I was skiing, I want to make sure I have adequate cover to get me off the mountain and looked after in a hospital if something bad happened.

Does anyone know of any Insurance that would cover all this while riding an organised event like the Marmotte?

I am checking out what my home insurance covers, but any advice on getting hold of this type of insurance would be appreciated.


  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    If you're British and have an NI number, get your EHIC health card. This covers you for all treatment, there is no need for insurance: ... broad.aspx

    As for your bike being stolen, what chances are there? You should be worrying about other things, the Marmotte is a daunting event. As you pass Plan Lachat you will be wishing someone had stolen your bike :wink:
  • lfcquinlfcquin Posts: 470
    Thanks for that. I have just applied for the EHIC card. They say it normally up to 7 days for it to arrive and I leave next Tuesday, so hopefully it will arrive in time.

    I am more worried about the bike being damaged/stolen in transit or in the days leading up to Marmotte than while I am riding it, but yep a stolen bike halfway through the route could be in my interests.... :lol:
  • richaricha Posts: 1,631
    My dilema also.

    I ticked the box when I entered which should insure me for the event incidents and will take my EHIC, have travel insurance so should be covered in transit, but what about 3rd party claims and bike damage durring race (not covered on house insurance as ity is regarded as a race).

    I am thinking about BS Silver for 3rd Party and Sports cover direct for event/bike cover (but only goes upto £1200 if i rememeber correctly).
  • richaricha Posts: 1,631
    RichA wrote:
    I am thinking about BS Silver for 3rd Party and Sports cover direct for event/bike cover (but only goes upto £1200 if i rememeber correctly).
    Just checked. Its £600. Anyone insure their bike against accidents? i.e. a crash.
  • bs147bs147 Posts: 164
    My dilemma too! I have the EHIC card and travel insurance - what extra will the sportscover direct policy give?
  • wedgeawedgea Posts: 3
    Yes, through BC and its about 15-20% of the value of bike but covers all damage including sportive but not racing
  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    Note that a sportive is a competitive race under the law in France and Italy.
  • richaricha Posts: 1,631
    Yup. Marmotte is regarded as a Race.
  • zoomcpzoomcp Posts: 975
    Snowcard covers competitive cycling events I used them for PBP; it's a bit more than bog standard holiday insurance but not as much as winter sports. But if the organisers don't insist on it why bother? all holiday insurance covers just normal cycling.

    someone was being taken away in a chopper when I did it but I assume the organisers would have footed the bill for this.

    it says something about it here but my Freanch is not that good ... ment04.pdf
Sign In or Register to comment.