No Tour for Simon Gerrans

csp
csp Posts: 777
edited June 2009 in Pro race
What a shame, he certainly would have been a PTP favourite.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    What was he doing training in Aspen with Leipheimer and Armstrong?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    My eyebrows were raised when I saw that. I can't help thinking that the two bits of news, the training with LA and LL in Aspen and being left off the Tour team, are related.
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    It was the flowers that did it, Armstrong trains surrounded by by tulips and roses and everything then takes on that hue. also all his bedridden horses heads are delivered with a bunch or more. Gerrans may have been allergic which some would imply as him raiding the cookme jar more than his host. It's all speculation at the moment but I think you'll find I'm on the money but can't spend as it's funny.
  • csp
    There was an interview with Samuel Sanchez in Pro Cycling last year, or the year before and I remember that there were pictures of him training with a bunch of other, probably spanish, riders, and they were from all sorts of teams: Discovery, Euskaltel, Relax etc. So, probably those riders who live in the same area usually train together.
  • Kléber
    Gerrans lives in Monaco. Why go to Colorado for altitude training when you have the Alps on your doorstep?

Still, Cervélo have to pick nine riders and he's already done the Giro. He might be good for a stage win but the team can't pick everyone and probably want to focus on supporting Sastre and Hushovd, that means climbers and lead out guys, plus one or two for the TTT. Gerrans isn't a certainty to ride.
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    it did seem a bit odd to pack up shop in Europe and head to colarado to train with Mr TwitterMania, espcially given that half the shots out there were of snow covered fields or off road mud tracks.
  • monkey71
    monkey71 Posts: 24
    Kléber wrote:
    What was he doing training in Aspen with Leipheimer and Armstrong?

Gee, I don't know, what about training perhaps!!! FFS Kleber, he knows lots of other aussie pro athletes that live in Colorado, and if he happens to have the chance to train with Lance and Levi, why not. Pro athletes are no different to mere humans, they like to see different parts of the world as well, and if they can train while they do it, why not!!!!

I'm beggining to think that you have some connection to Will Smith and like writing conspiracy theories, as there has never been any rumour or inuendo linking Gerrans to a doping controversies, god forbid, he went for a ride with Lance and Levi, he probably had a drip in his arm while he was doing it!!!!

Like you, I have little time for dopers, however, I would think that I would like something more substantial than going for a ride with Levi and Lance before I insinuated that the person might be doping!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes a little bit more rational thinking needs to go on and less baseless rumour mongering...
  • Kléber
    I didn't insinuate anything about doping :? you're the first to bring up the subject.

Actually my thoughts were that expressly training with rivals to your team leader is not something that's going to delight team management and Carlos Sastre.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Kléber wrote:
    Gerrans lives in Monaco. Why go to Colorado for altitude training when you have the Alps on your doorstep?

Because Colorado is a lot higher in general than the Alps. The average elevation of the whole state is 2000m, Denver is at the height of Alpe d'Huez
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    My eyebrows were raised when I saw that. I can't help thinking that the two bits of news, the training with LA and LL in Aspen and being left off the Tour team, are related.

Lol this forum is a hoot it really is.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    csp wrote:
    There was an interview with Samuel Sanchez in Pro Cycling last year, or the year before and I remember that there were pictures of him training with a bunch of other flowers, probably buttercups, they were from all sorts of garden centres: Discovery, Euskaltel, Relax etc. So, probably those riders who live in the same area usually train together.

See, and yous didn't believe me.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    What contract is he on with Cervelo? Is he being tapped up for LA's new team next year...?
  • andyp
    Moray Gub wrote:
    andyp wrote:

It'd be even more fun if you actually contributed a bit more than the odd glib comment, eh?

If you were Carlos Sastre how happy would you be to find one of your domestiques had travelled the best part of 5000 miles to train with a couple of your rivals just before the biggest race of the year, and one you happen to be the defending champion of?

Even you have to admit that it is a bit unusual, even for the crazy world of pro cycling.
  • Kléber
    There could be more to this than meets the eye but every team disappoints their riders, only nine can take the start. The race is hardly going to miss Gerrans's presence, no one will notice.
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    Kléber wrote:
    There could be more to this than meets the eye but every team disappoints their riders, only nine can take the start. The race is hardly going to miss Gerrans's presence, no one will notice.

Kléber, are you really Cervélo team manager, Thomas Campana.?
    "only nine riders per team are allowed to start"
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -team.html
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    andyp wrote:

It'd be even more fun if you actually contributed a bit more than the odd glib comment, eh?

If you were Carlos Sastre how happy would you be to find one of your domestiques had travelled the best part of 5000 miles to train with a couple of your rivals just before the biggest race of the year, and one you happen to be the defending champion of?

Even you have to admit that it is a bit unusual, even for the crazy world of pro cycling.

Riders train with each other all over the world nothing unusual in that at all. As Kleber says its no big deal no one will notice he is not there Cervelo maybe decided he cant contribute too much to riding for Sastre who know ? riders dont make the Tour for all sorts of reasons . What you are tring to do here is somehow paint Gerrans as guilty of something by riding in Colorado with LL and LA , for all we know maybe his team knew he was going there its quite pathetic really..............in fact its a hoot !
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • andyp
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Riders train with each other all over the world nothing unusual in that at all. As Kleber says its no big deal no one will notice he is not there Cervelo maybe decided he cant contribute too much to riding for Sastre who know ? riders dont make the Tour for all sorts of reasons . What you are tring to do here is somehow paint Gerrans as guilty of something by riding in Colorado with LL and LA , for all we know maybe his team knew he was going there its quite pathetic really..............in fact its a hoot !
    I'm not trying to paint Gerrans guilty of anything. I just raised an eyebrow at the fact that he'd travelled 5000 miles two weeks before the Tour to train with two members of a rival team. I think that's odd. He could altitude train in Europe with equal success and without having to deal with jet lag.

I've a question for you - why don't you actually contribute something meaningful for once rather than just firing off glib comments at people? It'd be a refreshing change and you clearly have a good knowledge of cycling. Go on, share it.
  • csp
    I really don't think that he travelled to the USA specifically to train with Armstrong. I think he was there for one reason or another, and while there he went for a ride with other pros as training partners.
  • I really doubt the two are connected, i would probably put it down more to Saste wanting his spanish mates there instead of Gerrans.
    These quotes from a newspaper article might give some clues
    Politics -- that's all I can put it down to," Gerrans said last night.

"It's pretty disappointing."

"I can understand why he would want a mate, but I'm disappointed the team didn't see through that.

"There are a lot of internal politics, but for him to change his mind is a real shock.

"I've been having the best year of my career by a mile and I thought this would be my best Tour de France."

He also said some stuff about Sastre definetly wanting Cuesta on the team. Gerrans has the right attitude though, his said he will focus on the Worlds and possibly the Vuelta.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Maybe Gerrans knew before he went to Colorado. But wasn't the stay in Colorado a CTT camp rather than just him?

CTT seems to have quite flawed decision making in my humble opinion. Pauwels being asked to drop back was a classic example of very bad tactical thinking.
  • LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    Kléber wrote:
    I didn't insinuate anything about doping :? you're the first to bring up the subject.

Actually my thoughts were that expressly training with rivals to your team leader is not something that's going to delight team management and Carlos Sastre.

Riders train together all the time. If you can find any of the old episodes of Race2Replace (Discovery Channel documentary looking for successor to Lance) you will see the likes of Hincapie and all Girona based riders going out on rides with other teams...

Earlier this year Hushovd was training with Lance and Levi...

Training with other rival riders might be beneficial for a number of reasons:

1. You develop friendships that might make that rider and his team more likely to form temporary strategic alliances to achieve a mutual objective (chasing down a breakaway / getting back to the peleton after a crash or technical failure)

2. You can pick up little titbits of information or indicators of when that rider is going to make a break/is tiring, which you can look for and alert your team to in race situations.

3. It breaks up the monotony of training with the same people over and over again.

4. You can network with people for your next contract..
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    LorneC wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Riders train together all the time. If you can find any of the old episodes of Race2Replace (Discovery Channel documentary looking for successor to Lance) you will see the likes of Hincapie and all Girona based riders going out on rides with other teams...

Earlier this year Hushovd was training with Lance and Levi...

Training with other rival riders might be beneficial for a number of reasons:

1. You develop friendships that might make that rider and his team more likely to form temporary strategic alliances to achieve a mutual objective (chasing down a breakaway / getting back to the peloton after a crash or technical failure)

2. You can pick up little titbits of information or indicators of when that rider is going to make a break/is tiring, which you can look for and alert your team to in race situations.

3. It breaks up the monotony of training with the same people over and over again.

4. You can network with people for your next contract..

Be careful there LornceC - you logical reasoning may confuse a few people here :wink:
  • Kléber
    I know pros train together, that's normal, especially if they live in the same town. But we have Gerrans flying halfway around the world to train with Armstrong and Leipheimer - not a CTT camp dougzz - and it's more than training, they were hanging out together a lot.

Perhaps it's nothing, I was merely pointing out that Gerrans could be moving to Astana/Armstrong next year and we don't know this, perhaps there is more to the non-selection than we know. Speculation is partly what forums are for!

Anyway, Gerrans is like most Aussies, he seems to love a good whinge :wink: :twisted:
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    I'm not trying to paint Gerrans guilty of anything. I just raised an eyebrow at the fact that he'd travelled 5000 miles two weeks before the Tour to train with two members of a rival team. I think that's odd. He could altitude train in Europe with equal success and without having to deal with jet lag.

I've a question for you - why don't you actually contribute something meaningful for once rather than just firing off glib comments at people? It'd be a refreshing change and you clearly have a good knowledge of cycling. Go on, share it.

that's not really what you think. you think anyone who doesn't agree with you is a twat I am sure...remember your dismissive comments about me cause I pulled up a regular LA basher for the contradiction in making favourable comments on Cancellera-coached by suspect Dr?
  • andyp
    Dave_1 wrote:
    that's not really what you think. you think anyone who doesn't agree with you is a fool I am sure...remember your dismissive comments about me cause I pulled up a regular LA basher for the contradiction in making favourable comments on Cancellera-coached by suspect Dr?
    Thanks for telling me what I think. Remind me to check in with you before I post anything on here in the future. :wink:

I do mean it. Moray Gub clearly knows a lot about cycling when he can over come the point scoring mode that seems to be his default. He sees things differently to most of us on here and it acts as a good counter point to which helps stimulate debate.

We all, and that includes me, should try and keep it civil here and get good, healthy debates going.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    andyp wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    that's not really what you think. you think anyone who doesn't agree with you is a fool I am sure...remember your dismissive comments about me cause I pulled up a regular LA basher for the contradiction in making favourable comments on Cancellera-coached by suspect Dr?
    Thanks for telling me what I think. Remind me to check in with you before I post anything on here in the future. :wink:

I do mean it. Moray Gub clearly knows a lot about cycling when he can over come the point scoring mode that seems to be his default. He sees things differently to most of us on here and it acts as a good counter point to which helps stimulate debate.

We all, and that includes me, should try and keep it civil here and get good, healthy debates going.

fair enough.....saw this http://www.velonews.tv/?articleID=2741

also.... http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 22,00.html