"Quick release" bolt on wheel nuts(?), who made th

Captain Turok
Captain Turok Posts: 686
edited July 2009 in Road general
I've been given four of these "quick release" bolt on wheel nuts (excuse my terminology I'm not actually sure what they are called) 2n6aix4.jpg

My intial query is who is likely to have made them? They are marked REG NO 875090. One pair fits my back wheel, while the second pair won't fit the front, is it worth trying to recut and "step up" the thread size on these, any one tried it?
*Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
*C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
*1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes

Comments

• bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    They are called wing nuts. :) You can still buy these from some local bike shops.I have loads of them if you cannot find any.Made by various companies during the50's & 60's
    Having said that I do not use them for riding ie display only as they have a habbit of coming undone .Dangerous when riding in a group.Unless you are Boudicca of course :twisted:
    bagpuss
  • Cheers for the info.

Having them loosen doesn't sound fun! I'll keep a close eye on the pair currently fitted to my back wheel for a while, before playing with the 2nd pair on the front then. Part of the appeal is in not carry a ring spanner in my pocket, heard enough of the you look pleased to see me gags :wink:

I don't tend to ride in groups but the Boudicca thing appeals for dealing with dozey peds! :twisted: :lol:
  • volvicspar
    volvicspar Posts: 208
    Resilion made some I believe. Old skool and dangerous imo!
  • volvicspar wrote:
    Old skool and dangerous imo!
    Sounds ideal for a fixed gear bike then! :lol:
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    why dangerous? they do up nice and tight. I want some. Wish I could find them in metric threads. Brilliant on fixed with flip flop hubs.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    I have seen alot, that have snapped when people had tried to get them tight enough to stop the rear wheel pulling over or even out :shock: ie when used on a road frame with normal drop outs.
    bagpuss
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Well if they will fit a shimano axle I'll have them
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    I'll keep a close eye on the pair currently fitted to my back wheel for a while, before playing with the 2nd pair on the front then.

IIRC Bikes designed to be used with wing nuts on he front axle had a special feature. The slot in the end of the fork leg was generously "countersunk" and the front nuts had a matching conical protrusion on the seating face. Sort of lawyers lips arrangement really
  • david 142 wrote:
    I'll keep a close eye on the pair currently fitted to my back wheel for a while, before playing with the 2nd pair on the front then.

IIRC Bikes designed to be used with wing nuts on he front axle had a special feature. The slot in the end of the fork leg was generously "countersunk" and the front nuts had a matching conical protrusion on the seating face. Sort of lawyers lips arrangement really

I was assuming they'd work with the washers with the tabs that fit into the front forks ?

The bolts themselves have the usual(?) floating serrated face. (apologies for the terminology again)

You can probably just about see the washer things on the photo in my sig below?
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    I dont think I've ever seen washers like that on an adult bike before!
    Be that as it may, they should certainly make a significant contribution to wheel security if you do get round to trying the wing nuts!
  • david 142 wrote:
    I dont think I've ever seen washers like that on an adult bike before!
    Be that as it may, they should certainly make a significant contribution to wheel security if you do get round to trying the wing nuts!

It was a cheap new bike of ebay earlier this year, some of Chinas finest! :wink: But for only £150 and a few quid extra on little bits, I'm enjoying it immensely!

I 've done quite few trips with the wingnuts on the rear and no signs of loosening yet. I'd also say it makes sorting out the chain tension and fitting the rear wheel easier.

I'm going to try and locate some additional similarly styled wingnuts, in the correct dia. Before destroying/moddifying the 2nd pair I currently have tho.