Specialized Stumpy FSR Comp 09 Frame/Serial Number

rhodesmjr
rhodesmjr Posts: 3
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I bought a brand new Specialized Stumpy FSR Comp 09 from a reputable Hertfordshire bike shop chain, and was dead chuffed with it.

When I came to register it on the Specialized website I realised I hadn't been given the serial number by the shop. So I quickly turned the bike upside down expecting to find the serial number stamped onto the bottom bracket.

I could see something looked like it should be there, but it was covered in black paint. :?

I took it back to the shop, and they used some WD40 stuff to rub off some of the paint but had to use sandpaper / stanley to reveal the rest.

See pic (some bits hidden for security!) at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhodesboarders/3654569171/

It matched what they had on the box that arrived from Specialized, but it looks well dodgy to me. A mate of mine has an 09 FSR Xc Comp, and the serial on his is clearly visible without having to remove paint etc.

Currently left the issue with the shop to discuss with Specialized customer service, but interested to know if anyone has any thoughts / comments on how I should proceed?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the colour of the frame?

often it is quite thick so it is hard to read.

from that picture i can see nothing that would get me worried.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rhodesmjr
    rhodesmjr Posts: 3
    It is a black frame.

Is was impossible to read the first 4 digits without resorting to sandpaper in the shop.

My other concern, albeit some way off, is that if/when I try to sell it, someone may think it looks like it's been ground off and re-stamped i.e. not legit.

Maybe I am just paranoid :shock:
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    My 07 Stumpy is the same. Don't worry about it.
  • Ahh flip ! :x

Looks like mine is the same. Couldn't see anything, but for one digit. Looks as though I will need to remove the cable guide, and then do the same as what you've done.

And then do you break your warranty by removing the paint ? No doubt you do :!:
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"