Pump or CO2 Inflator?

skyd0g
skyd0g Posts: 2,540
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm just getting back into (road) cycling & currently ride solo, while trying to build-up my general fitness. As such, I'm worried about getting a flat while several miles away from home.

What kit would anyone advise to carry?
Patches + small hand pump?
Patches + CO2 inflator?
Patches + one of above + a spare tube? :?

Any recommendations specifically in the pump/CO2 area? I'd prefer something as small and light as possible, while still keeping an eye on the pennies.
Ta!
Cycling weakly

Comments

• blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    I tried the pump + patches, and got my first puncture - took ages to repair in the rain.

The pump was a very small and very light one, and took an age to get the tyre inflated enough to get home so I could use my track pump.

Since then I now carry a spare tube + inflator as well as a pump and patches, just in case.

I have seen, and am very tempted to buy a pump that has a co2 inflator adapter built in. It also has enough room in the barrel for a 16g cannister as well. THis plus a spare tube and patches in case of multiple punct**es is probably what I would recommend.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use a Planet-X combined pump and CO2 inflater - only used it once but it was fine. The pump is probably good for "get you home" pressures. I wouldn't take a CO2 inflater alone, and if it were one or the other I would take a pump, probably a Topeak Morph or a Lezyne (one with a tube for fitting on the valve), as these pumps are the most ergonomic, and the tube prevents breaking the valve (which I have done in the past due to clumsiness).

Interestingly, a CO2 cylinder fits neatly inside the axle of my FSA chainset, so I have the pump behind the bottle cage, CO2 in chainset, and a tiny Scicon Phantom seat pack for tube, patches and Lezyne multi-tool - probably as minimalist as it gets.

When touring I take a Topeak Turbo Morph - almost as good as a track pump, but too big for day rides.

The Planet-x combi pump
    TOPXDFMP.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Carry a spare tube(s) a sticky patch kit and get a decent frame-fit pump. CO2 is fine for when you need quick repairs - sportives / races but I wouldn't rely on them all the time. Most mini pumps are a waste of money IME, but if you insist the Lezyne ones with the conector hose are one of the few I'd recommend.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Dunedin397
    Dunedin397 Posts: 145
    When I'm commuting I take a mini pump, 2xCO2, a patch kit and a spare tube. I'll take the same on a local ride, but when I'm doing an event I'll take a 2nd tube. When I'm doing a time trial I'll leave the mini-pump at home.

I only use the mini pump to give the new tube some shape, I use the CO2 to inflate it when it's on the wheel.

CO2 cartridges can be had quite cheaply and they're worth the money for the convenience.

If I were to do longer rides I'd take a frame pump instead of the mini pump.

Dunedin397
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    Spare tube and GIYO GM04S minipump
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    I like the look of the Lezyne, especially as it's "old-school" with a proper hose as I was worried about damaging the valve with the direct fit hand pumps. Or alternately, running out of air with the CO2 cartridge types. :)

...and as I'm pretty light, I don't need to get anywhere near 120psi to get me home. :lol:

...and I've got some patches and a spare tube, so I should be set! 8)

I'd also read somewhere about carrying a small piece of denim, for emergencies in case of a split in the tyre wall?
    Cycling weakly
  • hitthewall
    hitthewall Posts: 114
    Tyre inflators plus cheap CO2 cylinders from these people:

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/innovati ... cat_8.html

I have an Innovations SL Air Chuck. Does the job and the cheap Mosa 16gm screw-in cylinders fit and work fine. just ordered a box of 10 which I'm hoping will last a while...Dont forget some grips - the cylinder gets cold.

I also take a Lezyne pressure drive mini pump (medium) and Park self adhesive patches. Use the Lezyne to get up to a reasonable pressure and top off with a CO2 cylinder. From flat, one CO2 cylinder will fill a tyre more or less. If starting with air already in the tyre, be careful because if a whole cylinder is used it can over-pressurise the tyre. I speak from experience and ended one day patching up a hole in my tyre as the pressure broke through (unless it was a weak tyre).
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    pumps cheaper.