Chainrings and crank spiders...

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited June 2009 in The workshop
Apparently, my chainring is too spikey, so I need a new one...

How on earth do I figure out which one I need? :shock:

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    What crankset do you have?
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Main things are the number of teeth and the bolt circle diameter (BCD), which is what it sounds like! There are an apparently confusing number of BCDs but I think there are 2 main ones: 104mm for MTBs (with 4 bolts) and 130mm for road (5 bolts). If you take the old one off it might have this info on it somewhere, if not you can measure the BCD with the help of this chart:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/article-Bolt ... DChart.htm
  • lost_in_thought
    ahhhhh ok... I'm going to get measuring.

It's a single-speed, 08 bowery, made by FSA, but other than that I've no idea.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    There are a few more than two BCDs. It's often engraved on the chainring somewhere. The sheldon link should get you there. Is this on the fixie?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    The 09 is an FSA Vero, which is a 110BCD or compact. 46T according to the Giant site.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If it's a 130BCD in 42t I've got 2 spare at the mo, though I suspect a 42 will be spinny hell for you.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • lost_in_thought
    The 09 is an FSA Vero, which is a 110BCD or compact. 46T according to the Giant site.

Yep, that sounds like the right one... I am planning to measure this evening, and debating what size (in the teeth department) to go for... looks like a 48t may be the way forward.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513

You need to be carefeul because vero cranks come in both 110 and 130 bcd. My '08 Bowery came with a 130 FSA Vero. Best to measure and double check.

If it's 130 I'd recommend the Thorn Singlespeed chainring. I replaced my Vero ring with one a few months back and it's brilliant. Really well made, reversable so will last twice as long, and it's nice and round so no chain tension issues. Well worth £20.