How often do you change your chain?

2»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794
    mudcovered wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Get a gauge. Basing use on kms is meaningless.
    Some pootle, some put out 800 watts. Clean conditions, or grimy conditions. Etc, etc...

I have a gauge. It reports chain worn after about 500-1000 miles. I ignore it and carry on for another 4500miles.

Mike
    Get a good gauge.
    Fixed That For Me.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    One Ultegra chain got me through almost all of last year, 9000km including 10 crit races, a couple of E/1/2/3 road races, 10 TTs, 100 KOMs, until it snapped just before xmas. Shifting had started to go, it was well well stretched, but it was sill functional. Cassette seems fine with new chain.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I use a Park Tools gauge cos it's clean, quick and easy. I'd rather replace the chain slightly prematurely than wear out the chainrings. I still get what I consider to be decent mileage out of the chains, so I'm happy.

I did once try faffing about with a steel ruler but it meant putting the bike in the workstand, my eyesight isn't what it was, and I couldn't hold one end smack in the centre of a rivet while looking at the other without covering myself and the ruler in oily gloop. Maybe I should have cleaned the chain first...

But then again, if I'd concluded it was worn out I'd have wasted time cleaning a chain I was about to chuck in the recycling. Ho hum.