Getting too close, same car same driver...every day..advice?

2»

Comments

• oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    You must go to the police about this - its systematic intimidation and one day he may miscalculate how close he 'skims' you by. This prick obviously has a downer on either you, cyclists in general, or both and need to be dealt with. The fact that he didn't stop suggests to me he knows exactly what he's doing and probably considers it a 'bit of fun' to scare cyclists. Police might not do anything first, second or even third time but if you make yourself enough of a pest they will.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • kiwirob
    kiwirob Posts: 53
    Yep
    I think Mike and Oscar have hit the nail on the head.
    Keep on truckin'
    KR
  • velorazzi
    velorazzi Posts: 40
    Hi Kiwi,

You MUST, absolutely must report this to the Police. Suggestions of banging on the roof etc are likely to cause an adverse reaction from the sounds of this character, and shouldn't be attempted at any cost (besides, you might just miscalculate and end up being dragged under the car). The point being that if it does come down to you eventually being knocked down by this individual, and you subsequently report it to the Police, you'll be tarred with the same brush as him - despite the amount of dangerous driving you've had to suffer. They won't discriminate in that sort of circumstance.

I would advocate - as others have, taking notes regarding the time of when and where the incidents occurred. I know the Police can sometimes be a bit useless, but you have to be in the right. So far you've done nothing wrong. Interfere with his vehicle, and that changes the situation immediately.

Regarding waving at him from the side of the road; he probably thinks you're going give him a thumping. Not many motorists would stop nowadays and, to be honest with you, you can see why - especially if he recognises you as the individual he winds up every morning.

Make a diary, take his number and report him - please, for your own safety.
  • wantaway
    wantaway Posts: 96
    blimey, aren't we all British and polite.

here is someone who is continually acting in a way that is very dangerous. Dangerous enough for him to hit you whilst you are cycling and put you hospital. Contact the police and discuss with them what they think.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Keep up the good ideas!

RPG?
    Flamethrower?

Seriously, I think you are doing exactly the right things. I'd second the idea of making a show of photographing his car next time you try to have a word. The photo might come in handy and there's a chance it might making him a bit more cautious.

J
  • kiwirob
    kiwirob Posts: 53
    Update:
    Wife phoned Police and they were FANTASTIC! The bloke she spoke to was a cyclist in London and gave loads of encouragement...what a great response!
    I took the photo this morning. The funny bit was, the bloke who owns the newsagent was standing outside and asked what I was doing...told him and he waited with me ...out of interest I suppose...small place...nothing happens much...but not only that the photo shows his wheels over the centre line!
    Anyway, Mondeo man didn't want to know...again...maybe he thought I had my "posse" with me.
    LOL.
    Wiil try to flag down again tommoz.
    Cheers
    KR
  • keirtristan
    keirtristan Posts: 296
    Interesting reading this, came to it from the home page as never normally come to this area of the forum as I only MTB at the moment.

I used to commute though and have had mixed experience of drivers. In fact one guy came past me far too close in a big BMW X5 and wasn't tell he passed me did I realise it was a guy I work with, I know he's an ignorant driver already as I've been in the car with him on more than one occasion. I just pointed out to him that he didn't leave enough space for me. I think he took note and I occasionally still have a dig at him just to remind him how dangerous it is.

I am also a driver and I do understand how slow it can feel in your car if you have to sit behind a cyclist but you have to remember that they are the most vunerable person in your current situation and wait patiently for an opportunity to pass safely.

Telling the Police is def the right decision to have made. I don't know if you know any one else who drives and can get a passenger, to follow him whilst the passenger records what he is doing?

Just remember as well that he is likely to do this too all cyclists and not just yourself and needs it be stopped somehow.

Hope it turns out alright.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    It will also help if you regulalry look behind you. I know the area well although moved away some years ago. The roads around Missenden either side and up into the Chiltern Hills which are picturesque are lethal for cycling as loads of knobs literally tear up and down the steep narrow high hedged country lanes in rush hour. In a car driving with care it can be equally terrifying.

I think matters have progressed sufficiently for you to make a formal complaint to the police against this driver's behaviour.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Tim.s wrote:
    Find out where he parks his car and put a banana up his exhaust pipe.

That'll teach him.

Maybe take 2 banana's, use the second for the car exhaust :lol:

I'd definitely try to have a quiet word with the guy if possible, if he doesn't listen maybe then send a complaint of dangerous driving to the police, I know it's a long shot but getting a witness would be really help.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • What a lunatic!

I think the taking of photos ought to put the wind up him, unless this guy is genuinely blind! In which case he doesn't see you on your bike, trying to flag him down or taking photos of him! Either way his ignorant attitude towards cyclists needs to be nipped in the bud before he kills someone.

If you ever do find out where his car ends up in the mornings, maybe leave a note on the windscreen to say that you have reported him to the police for dangerous driving and will continue to do so each time he 'skims' you.

Just in case, here is a well priced helmet cam (which I too have my eye on).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... d_i=468294

Looking forward to another update :D
    Check out my portraiture :: www.amandaclegg.co.uk :: Feedback is most welcome :D