Kohl meets AFLD

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2009 in Pro race
http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=re ... &type=lgns

I think Gripper said the UCI were also going to meet him.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    great...he is now so trusted he can say pretty much anything and we will presume he is telling the truth...amazing what being caught for doping does...the opposite of what many would think...we trust him more, not less :)

if it's a repeat of Sinkewtiz running sponsors out of the sport...I don't wanna hear it
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Surely it's worth listening to him Dave? He's said he's been doping for many years and evidently was not caught despite hundreds of tests and controls. Inside experience like he can offer is very important. Just because he talks to the UCI and AFLD does not mean they have to take every word as gospel but if they get a conversation going it should prove useful.

As for Sinkiewitz "running sponsors out of the sport", you're shooting the messenger. It's the endless scandal that makes sponsors run away, not one or two riders who speak out.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    I hear that there's a new movie being made called 'Catch Me if You Can 2', based on the life of one B Kohl, in light of his new "advisory role" for catching the fraudsters.

I hear Tom Hanks will play Pat McQuaid, Julia Roberts will play Anne Gripper, but they haven't been able to work out who'll get the lead role.

Any suggestions?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Kléber wrote:
    Surely it's worth listening to him Dave? He's said he's been doping for many years and evidently was not caught despite hundreds of tests and controls. Inside experience like he can offer is very important. Just because he talks to the UCI and AFLD does not mean they have to take every word as gospel but if they get a conversation going it should prove useful.

As for Sinkiewitz "running sponsors out of the sport", you're shooting the messenger. It's the endless scandal that makes sponsors run away, not one or two riders who speak out.

i know, and he could offer his knowledge privately. But I see your point, understand that side....I am for Omerta, would rather we had T Mobile and Columbia-Highroad teams , not one team...seen from the point of view of a 21 year old who is clear in their mind they will not dope and hopes for a job racing full-time , monthly doping revelations reported worldwide is not good news.....many with no idea how the sport works are very senior in corporate world and read this stuff. How many of us are 20 years old and hoping to turn pro-few I guess?? I hope Lance A is not revealed as a doper either...am not ashamed to admit I'd rather it covered up
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's not as simple as that Dave. Any 20 year old wanting to turn pro will know the pro ranks are rife with doping. No media cover-up can hide that, the U-23 scene is already full of it, Ricco said he was using EPO as a junior and he's hardly alone.

Unless the rider is very well protected, he'll have already been approached by a coach offering to help him "prepare" and "recover". He might be able to get by on talent alone but once inside the big teams, if the wrong people are left to run them, it will be very hard to resist the calls to "be professional" and to simply do what everyone else on the squad is doing.

There's a reason why some riders like Clement, Gilbert and others deliberately started their careers on French teams. It's in France were the omerta has been broken and the pro teams are openly clean and this is the place for riders to learn to race. The same goes for a few teams like Garmin and Columbia too.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.