Pooley wins La Grand Boucle

Le Commentateur
Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Awesome result from the Cervelo team and for Pooley in particular. With such a team behind her she surely could eclipse Cooke this season.

Comments

• ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Well done Emma, Congratulations... She's worked hard from her TT in last years Olympics. Awesome result
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Wow! Fantastic result for the little rocket...
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Great result from Pooley. A weaker than usual Grand Boucle this year - just 4 stages and only three of the very best professional teams - competition was greater at the two stage Giro del Trentino which clashed on the schedule and which, rather ironically, was won by Cooke backing up her two stage wins in the Basque Tour the week before.

Should make for an intriguing National Road Race next weekend.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Brilliant! Utterly fantastic win!

And why wasn't it on Eurosport??
  • It's not just Eurosport - I don't remember seeing any reports on the front pages of Bikeradar relating to either Pooley or Cooke's recent successes (I may be wrong I don't look every day), or indeed almost any other women's racing, let alone on Eurosport. Yet I've seen closing footage of Cooke's World's victory last year and Pooley's World Cup victory and they were big exciting events - different no doubt to the men's events - but worthy of coverage all the same. Those wins received cursory congratulations from UK cycling press and virtually no interest from British national media, unlike the latter's albeit lecherous interest in Vicky Pendleton and Rebecca Romero.

It's a great shame that at a time we are trying to promote cycling amongst women the UK has two female road race sporting heroines going almost unsung.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    There you go.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 112528.stm

Although apparently she's a Londoner. :lol:
  • Exactly, one scant web page page for each victory, that you have to search for - if a British woman one a world darts title she'd get more coverage just because BBC think it has to serve the interests of the half wit chav ridden British viewing public. B**l*x it is there to educate and take people to areas they might not otherwsie have the inclination or imagination to visit. If the BBC aren't patriotic to report on TV all British sporting successes, and not just those celebrated in The Sun, they should be wound up and sold off!

Not that I have a bee in my bonnet about this or anything...
  • In the case of Bikeradar, I take back everything I said!
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    Exactly, one scant web page page for each victory, that you have to search for - if a British woman one a world darts title she'd get more coverage just because BBC think it has to serve the interests of the half wit chav ridden British viewing public. .

Really? i defy you to find a story about women's darts on the bbc. or womens snooker for that matter. Blimey they only just managed to cover the cricket...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Just so happens, I congratulated her in person, in Abergavenny yesterday. :D
    I think she thought I was an idiot, (probably right :oops: ) as in her typically modest way, she dismissed it, as a small race.

Well, it may not be the event it once was, but because of it's association, with the name, it gets a much higher profile of coverage and hence raises Emma's profile.
    May not be her biggest win, but it certainly has gets her noticed by a wider audience.

She first came to my attention winning a big one dayer in Italy, last year, that happened to get shown on RAI. I thought then, she was a star in the making and she's done nothing to prove me wrong, so far.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • stagehopper
    She's come on a bundle so quickly. Must be some real pride that the top 3 in the Road Race were:

1) Current Olympic + World RR champion, winner of Giro del Trentino the two stage classic last week
    2) Current World Team Pursuit Champion, Silver in Scratch, Bronze in Points + winner of two tracks overall world cups
    3) Current Olympic TT Silver, winner of Grand Boucle last week, winner of last round of RR World Cup with a solo break for the whole race

I hope British Cycling take a full team to the Worlds this year - they were one short of the full complement of six last year and have an extra place in 2009 due to Nicole's World/Olympic win.
  • will3
    Here you go, a lemon fresh whole article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 119245.stm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    She won GP Plouay on Saturday:

22082009_11gf.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • AND she was racing against giants!
  • stagehopper
    She's in cracking form - Nicole was the only one who got near her bringing the gap down to less than 40 seconds at one stage in a solo chase before being joined by four other riders. Unfortunately for NC (now riding in GB colours) she had a flat coming into the finish so couldn't contest the sprint for 2nd.

5 British riders in the top 23 which is encouraging heading towards the worlds.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited August 2009
    Hang on to your hats folks, I reckon we're a gnat's whisker away from having two World Champs in two years. I'm picking Pooley for the win next month.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    So why wasn't it on the tele?...no coverage of her on the news! (unless you trawl through the web!)
    Only heard about it through cycling weekly !
    So come on British press, for once we do something well, now get your acts together and tell the world !
  • will3
    turnerjohn wrote:
    So why wasn't it on the tele?...no coverage of her on the news! (unless you trawl through the web!)
    So come on British press, for once we do something well, now get your acts together and tell the world !

Becasue for some reason people prefer watching men hug each other after kicking a footbal around than ladies in lycra
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    will3 wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:

Becasue for some reason people prefer watching men hug each other after kicking a footbal around than ladies in lycra

Hahaha. Good one.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Fantastic win!

Can only echo what everyone else has said about the lack of media coverage for women's racing.