SPD's????????

P1LTS
P1LTS Posts: 82
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Thinking of upgrading my pedals to "clipless".

OK, so I know that I will need a pair of shoes that will accept a cleat. But when I look at the cleats section of various online shops, I was expecting to find 1 or 2 different items but to my surprise theres loads!!!! :shock:

How do I know if the pedals, shoes and cleats wil be compatible. Am I missing something here? :?

Thanks for any help.
2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
2011 Boardman Team

Comments

• Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    A lot of people recommend the Shimano M520s (Half price here) and the DhB M1 shoes (which are also cheap somewhere but I can't find the link).
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    cleats usually come with the pedals

Ive got shimano m520's and Specialized BG sport mtb shoes. very comfy
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • TomBeardsley
    TomBeardsley Posts: 150
    If you buy Shimano shoes you get the cleats free with them, meaning all you need is the pedals. But pretty much anybody who uses M520's say they're worth it. I'm one of them.
    For compatibility, if your really not sure, head to a LBS. They will sort you out with some compatible bits and pieces.
    "Pain is temporary, success is permanent"
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    As Si78 says cleats come with the pedals.

Most shoes state SPD compatible under there description. An SPD compatible shoe should be compatible with all types of cleats.
  • Get some Shimano M520's and a pair of Shimano MO76. Trust me, you won't look back.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    as said; pedals come with the cleats that suit them
    Shoes all have the same bolt hole spacing so can take any cleat. I think there's some very niche exceptions to this but just make sure that the shoe says "SPD compatible" on the descript and you'll be good.

As for which pedal to choose, Shimano gets a lot of good press but I am a fan of Time ATAC pedals. Great float and nice and secure with superb bearing life.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    M520's are great first set of SPD's , set the float loose and they easy to get out at short notice. Then as you get experienced tighten the float.
    Never had any probs with mine.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • LAW4778
    LAW4778 Posts: 232
    Si78 wrote:
    cleats usually come with the pedals

Ive got shimano m520's and Specialized BG sport mtb shoes. very comfy

I ve got the same combo, pedals came with my bike and i got the shoes thrown in for half price, still getting used to them, touch would haven't had any major offs just a couple when i actually stop and don't un clip in time everything seems to happen in slow motion you know your going fall to the ground but can't do anything about it, would imagine i look quite funny to the an observer, it does feel better being proper connected to the bike though glad ive got them.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
    Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)
  • hanneyp
    hanneyp Posts: 14
    I just switched to SPDs (from years in toeclips) 2 weeks ago. I got Specialized BG shoes (as I need a wide fitting) and use the cleats which came with my 520s. Great combination.
    Diamondback Vectra Pro (2003)
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I've switched from Shimano to Crank Brothers and I much prefer them.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    +1 for 520's. I have Shimano shoes and find them very comfortable but the type l have is now obsolete so I won't bother recommending them. As a newcomer to mtb'ing I was very nervous about the whole spd thing but I am now totally at ease with them and find they just let go when I want them to now, only because the heel outward movement required becomes totally natural after a while. You won't look back I'm sure. :)
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Get some Shimano M520's and a pair of Shimano MO76. Trust me, you won't look back.

+1 for the exact combo..... fantastic setup - and +10000 for not looking back - I'm a convert to the SPD's! :D
    It's been a while...
  • P1LTS
    P1LTS Posts: 82
    1 pair of MO76's and 1 pair of M520's ordered. £63.00 for everything!!! :D

Can't wait to try them.
    2010 Spesh Stumpy Expert
    2011 Boardman Team
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    I'm gonna vote for the Crank Brothers too. Find them much more comfortable and easier to get out of than the Shimanos. Got a pair of their Mallet pedals myself due to fear of being clipped in initially but shouldn't have worried.