Passing oncoming riders on a trail

zeroseven
zeroseven Posts: 347
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Right side or left side?

Comments

• Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Which every way is easiest, i don't bother shouting doing so usually ends up with them walking in your path anyway.

If it's busy i just sit back and wait for them.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • zeroseven
    Walking?
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    I always try to stick to the left as much as possible, on cycle path or trail. certainly on the straight bits.
    Overtake people, usually shouting 'coming thru', on the right if possible.

Depends on the other people though, and where on the path / trail they are.

Slow down and hang back if there are lots of people, youngsters or dogs etc cos you never know what they are going to do.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • zeroseven
    Thanks, I really meant just oncoming stuff.... I've been amazed that almost everyone seems to pass left hand to left hand ...when the normal thing would be same as on the road

just wondered if this was some rule I'd missed. Thanks
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    zeroseven wrote:
    Thanks, I really meant just oncoming stuff.... I've been amazed that almost everyone seems to pass left hand to left hand ...when the normal thing would be same as on the road

just wondered if this was some rule I'd missed. Thanks

Dont know if their is a rule.
    But yes, I do the same as I would on the road. Makes sense to me anyway lol
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    I keep to what you would do on a road however it never fails to amaze me when im approaching somebody the same as on a road and then they switch over to the right? Madness.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • zeroseven
    deffler wrote:
    I keep to what you would do on a road however it never fails to amaze me when im approaching somebody the same as on a road and then they switch over to the right? Madness.

Precisely
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Same rules as the road basically - overtake everything and what's behind me is not important :lol:
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Oh, and what I find most useful, if waiting for a group of bikes, is for the first guy to tell me how many more are coming :)

But yes, I usually stop/pass on the left, as I would if driving.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Oh, and a little thank you is nice if someone stopped to let you tear by :)
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Always say cheers to people who let me past. and i try to be mean and terrify anyone who doesn't..(joke.. well mostly depends if i'm having a bad day :S
  • Major Dan
    Major Dan Posts: 53
    DW is commenting on Swinley Forest, as we must have slowed for half a dozen rider yesterday that simply accelerated as they came up in front of us, not a flicker of recognition let alone a thank-you!

:x
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I stick to the left hand side of the trail. Nothing will move me.

Note - this does not apply to peds who consistently try to occupy the same part of the universe as you do despite its size.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • :lol: at dave.

Whoever is gong fastest gets the right of way IMO. :D

I hated swinley for having singletrack with no set route.
    I mean, I nearly killed some little lad with his dad as I was barreling down a fast section of downward singletrack and they were climbing it. Just as I came round a blind corner I saw them and nearly totaled into some trees to avoid them.

Singletrack should really be 1 way only in a situation like that.... I mean, its a single track isn't it :?
  • zeroseven
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

I hated swinley for having singletrack with no set route.
    I mean, I nearly killed some little lad with his dad as I was barreling down a fast section of downward singletrack and they were climbing it. Just as I came round a blind corner I saw them and nearly totaled into some trees to avoid them.

Singletrack should really be 1 way only in a situation like that.... I mean, its a single track isn't it :?

Sounds like the owners of Swinley are in for a big fat court case then.......
  • Ocrider
    Ocrider Posts: 19
    I would usually pass on the right, but then I'm in mainland Europe. Although saying that, there are situations where it isnt either practical or safe to both myself and the oncoming rider to do so. In these cases common sense prevails!
    BTW, I dont ride trail centres and the fact that I ride out in the sticks, far from civilisation usually means that any other cyclists I meet have generally more experience than me, so there is no need to say "Well what if the other rider is a complete numpty" :lol:

One thing to add is that whatever the situation if I was going downhill and met someone climbing I would always give them the best line. No question about it.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Was on the way home tonight and found myself approaching about 7 chavs on their Shockwaves with shirts off, all over the track they were spread (track was fairly wide) so I took the left hand side, one of the braindead morons wasnt watching what he was doing and started drifting towards me, luckily I swerved even though I hadnt much room then the arse started hurling abuse at me? Got the shock of his life he did, morons own fault. Coulda been a nasty crash
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    zeroseven wrote:
    Sounds like the owners of Swinley are in for a big fat court case then.......
    Who's going to sue Her Majesty though? ;)

Though actually it's Crown Estate and I think more accountable to the government financially than it is to the Monarch.

I don't do Swinley during peak hours so tend not to bump into that many people, but usually I find the place is big enough that even if the car park and surrounding fire tracks are packed, you can end up with not seeing anyone for miles once you get into the thick of the place, except for the main popular singletrack.

But aren't there basic rules for singletrack anyway where there's no obvious single direction signpost? i.e. In the main, unless it's a planned event where no one else should be on the track, assume someone will be on the track.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    deadkenny wrote:

Even the monarch isn't above the law. Look what happened in 1649...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Stumpy Ade
    Stumpy Ade Posts: 81
    Major Dan wrote:
    DW is commenting on Swinley Forest, as we must have slowed for half a dozen rider yesterday that simply accelerated as they came up in front of us, not a flicker of recognition let alone a thank-you!

:x

That's a real shame, but I have to say as a rule, I find the riders there very courteous.
  • zeroseven
    deadkenny wrote:

I would, they're unlikely to want the publicity, early settlement

How do I get to Swinley? :)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    there are definitely lots of routes in Swinley which have no clear direction of travel usually there are build well prepared trails which as you ride one bit you think - this is a great downhill, cross a fire road and think this is well made but looks like its better downhill.......bit of a problem.

Still its big and I dont generally run into anyone - I think I know the blind corner the poster earlier referred to and that is the worst one I can think of but if riding up the fast bermed bit there is a cut out to right at bottom to get you to top of hill via 3 narrow switchbacks - maybe there they need an up/down sign to keep peeps a part elsewhere there is generally enough visability.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i think it's best to speed up and go for a high five
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    i normally try and pass on the outside of the trail as if its me thats passing someone then they are normally really crap else i wouldn't have caught and, and forcing a noob to ride near the edge of singletrack next to the edge of a steep slope isn't a nice thing to do :twisted:

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • pacman77
    pacman77 Posts: 2
    when I have a clear track Im a happy chappy when I have riders ahead on a narrow track its tiresome I lose the zone I get into as its often a struggle to get past but try not to get annoyed as all part of the sport.
  • Haven't done trail centres yet but did have one case where a guy with his kids was coming straight at me. I moved right over to the left hand side, then he decided to do the same and let his kids past him, nearly knocking me into some water. Seemed immune to my "watch yarse mate" comment at him too :? :?
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    =
    Singletrack should really be 1 way only....

but they were only going one way? ;)
  • fedrat
    fedrat Posts: 22
    I find that on the local cycle paths, for some odd reason, parents tell their kids to pass on my left. Bloody wierdos.
    As a driver, I drive on the left, so pass on my right.

At least they've got the kids wearing helmets, but that's for another day.
    Giant ATX 830
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Generally I try and stick to the left all things being equal, but depends on the situation really.
  • Max A
    Max A Posts: 21
    It depends, i'm a very curtous rider...i always say thank you especially if it's someone walking dogs/kids etc. Although i have to admit if it's busy saying thanks 10 times in 2 mins can be tiresome!

As for other riders, because i'm still new and rather unfit some of the ones that fly past me can make me jump as the don't seem to give any warning until they are right on me, that bugs me...clink your bell or something!

:lol::lol:

I generally get out the way..see which way someone is coming towards me and pass on the opposite direction. Saying that..generally i ride on the cycle tracks at the moment it may well be a different story if i'm on a track and trying to concentrate on not falling off! :lol: