Glasgow Prestwick Airport into the city by train

cycladelic
cycladelic Posts: 641
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone please tell if getting the bike on a train at the airport is a problem. It won't be boxed or in a bag. TIA
It's an uphill climb to the bottom

Comments

• You should be OK

The trains are commuter type with no real baggage area.

You'll be able to use the area next to the doors which can accommodate bikes without a problem.

Service to Glasgow is every 30 min mostly with a few extra services at rush hour.
    I *think* the trains are 10 minutes to and 20 minutes past the hour.

B4C
  • cycladelic
    Thanks, B4C... hopefully I make it that far with Ryanair.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    ... The trains are commuter type with no real baggage area. ...
    There is a bike area that'll accommodate 2 bikes - check for the bike symbol next to the doors. Most of the time folk'll use it for baggage, so get on the train first to claim it.

Even if you don't get the bike space the guard / ticket inspector are usually OK as long as you keep the bike out of everyone's way.

I've used that service a number of times, and never had a problem, even when there's been 12 or more of us.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • cycladelic
    Thanks, Crapaud

Can you recommend a good bike shop in Glasgow?... I need a quality tyre - 26 x 1.75

TIA
  • Crapaud
    Cycladelic, if you can be more specific I'll have a look around and see who's got what - I'll be doing the rounds, either this week or next, anyway - and can try and get them put aside under your name so you can just pick them up.

Knobbley, non-knobbley or semi-slick? 1 or 2 tyres? Any preference on make / model?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • cycladelic
    Many thanks!

I have Maxxis 'Overdrive' now, but Schwalbe 'Marathon' would be good: something suitable for loaded touring. And as I said - 26" x 1.75" is the size I'm after.
    I'll buy a pair, but really only need one.
  • cycladelic
    PS: I arrive on July 3rd, so would like to get the tyres on Sat. the 4th...
    and the ones I want are non-knobbly.
  • Crapaud
    I'll get on it tomorrow (just found out I'm out of energy drink :roll: )! I assume that you're going to Glasgow Central, so somewhere in the city centre?
  • cycladelic
    Yes, I have a booked a hotel near Central Station for the 4th. Many thanks!
  • Crapaud
    Cycladelic, you have PM (in case you missed it) .
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Cycladelic, are you doing a scottish tour then? I think I'm stuck on 'local' touring for the next while...

Crapaud - will you do my shopping for me as well? :wink:
  • Crapaud
    tardington wrote:
    ... Crapaud - will you do my shopping for me as well? :wink:
    No, I refuse to go into an Ann Summers shop for any reason whatsoever! :roll:

:D
  • cycladelic
    Hi - and thanks for looking around and the PM... I had missed it.

Last night I searched the online directory and spotted a few shops, including the one you mention. I wonder what time it closes on friday - I get into town about 6pm.

I'm touring Norway at the moment and could try to find some good tyres here before I leave, but expect them to be pricey... beer is over 6 quid a pint!

My plan is to ride up the Hebrides. Looking at the weather, it might be a bit wet.
  • cycladelic
    Crapaud, I got a pair of tyres from Gear - up near the university. Marathon Plus.

I'm now on Iona, but my rear hub has just failed - a Hope 3 Pro... not much chance of finding a replacement here. I guess I'll have to head back to Oban.