dartmoor bike hire/rides

altern_8
altern_8 Posts: 1,562
edited June 2009 in MTB rides
im off down to torquay with family next weekend and looking to hire a decent bike for a day to xplore a bit of dartmoor,been looking on net but aint found anything which i will enjoy riding on......so was wondering if anyone from around the area knows of any decent bike hire places,and also where abouts on dartmoor is good for a ride??????

cant take my bike as aint got any roof rack/boot rack......and with family cant fit it in car :(

Comments

• sharki
    sharki Posts: 14
    I hope be down there next weekend guiding around the Bovey tracey area, namely Lustliegh cleeve and hound tor trails...

Some tamer and easier to navigate stuff over princetown side.

Best bits are on east Dartmoor, between Hound tor and postbridge.

As for Hiring Bikes, i'm not to sure I'd of recommended you contact Bike-dartmoor for guiding and a loan of his bike, but he'd of just got back form Verbier.

Try contacting one of the bike shops and book a Demo ;-)
  • altern_8
    cheers for the help mate......ive found one bike hire place upto now,and its £15 for full day,but bikes are really crap hardtail treks,prob cost about £200 to buy if that.....

i was thinking about getting a demo bike,but didnt know if id have to show id to get one,and from being up north,they might think what the.............lol
  • sharki
    sharki Posts: 14
    No harm in phoning first, but yes ID and deposit via credit card would be usual.

'Bigpeaks' in Ashburton would be your best bet, as they've a good range.

And if it was me, i'd take the £200 Trek if it meant getting out for a ride, but obviously wouldn't ride it as i would my own on some of the moors more challenging terrian.

But do what it takes to get your fix of riding.
  • altern_8
    cheers for info mate.....looks like it might have to be the £200 trek,lol...its only £15 for the full day.......found anouther hire place in quantocks as well,dont know what type of bikes they have tho,as cant find any info on them,dont think it will be anything special tho as its same price as above for full day hire.........

ill get out and about for the day somehow......