front wheel slides

Dancake
Dancake Posts: 47
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all.

just wondered on opinions as to what is wrong with my cornering technique?

I often find myself disconnecting from my SPDs due to the front end loosing grip causing the bike to try and slide out from under me. I would like to blame my kit but it always seems to be me!

any tips??

Comments

• mtbikerboy
    mtbikerboy Posts: 325
    edited June 2009
    A few guesses from my little experience -

-you are at the speed limits of the corner.

-wrong footwork. outside foot should be down for lower c.o.g & to plant the wheels into the ground. if the inside foot is down on the pedal you'd be encoraging the wheels to slip out.

-not so good line choice- entry and exit into the corner.

-braking with the front brake while in the corner.

[EDIT: i havent used spds, just speaking in general]
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Maybe try tightening up the tension on your spd pedals?
    Also, you may need to concentrate on your balance/positioning on the bike during cornering.
    Try shifting your weight.
    Maybe needs more weight forward, to help the front wheel grip?
    What about tyre pressures? Maybe reduce to get more front end grip?
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    mtbikerboy wrote:

-braking with the front brake while in the corner.

My immediate thought. kinda unusual for the front to slide out unless your braking and have very little weight on the front, maybe you moving your weight to far back if your on a decent. So many people try to burn themselves "A new arsehole" by shifting all the weight behind and below the saddle right above the rear wheel, which is bad cause it lifts all your weight of the front wheel reducing traction, which would allow the front to slide out. Especially if braking.

Don't believe me on the weight position, try it track standing and watch you forks extend fully through there sag. Only does that cause there is bugger all weight on the front wheel. Bad bad bad.

sorry if that makes little sense I've just finished a bottle of wine.
    Fancy a brew?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    There's a couple of things you can check/try. It could be suspension/geometry related.

First make sure you are running the correct amount of sag.

Make sure you haven't got a lot of rebound wound on as it can cause the front to pack down. Your head angle will steepen by several degrees causing the wheel to tuck under.

You could if your forks will allow you to, add a couple of turns of compression damping. This will help keep the front end propped up (helps as you will have a more consistant head angle).

If its not suspension then it may be a problem with weight distribution(you need to weight your bars in turns).You could try removing a couple of spacers from under the stem in order to drop your bars or fit lower rise bars.

As someone else has already mentioned make sure you are off the brakes when you turn in! Brake in a straight line come off the breaks and turn in. I have a tendency to turn in on the brakes and then come of them at the apex, I have to consciously tell myself not to do it.

If all else fails then fit a Maxxis single ply Super Tacky Minion to the front and it will never slip again.
  • Dancake
    Dancake Posts: 47
    May be a combination of Technique and setup...dont want to blame setup too much as a mate rides around on a nail and he never goes down or has an "oh s**t" moment... :)

May check the rebound though..it is on the slow side of centre. Sag is about 15-20 percent
    Dont really want to disconnect and throw a leg out every corner of the trail
    Ill leave that front brake alone (may be subconciously hanging on it)
    Ill be more active on the bike though..I can be quite static.

Going to find a fav trail today and do it over and over for a couple of hours to try out a few ideas.

cheers guys!
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I have certainly gained more front end confidence having let some air out of the tyres. 40psi and I felt like the front was going to wash out every turn, 35 and it rails now, though just need my confidence back and I'll be faster still :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    +1 for the tire pressure.

In order to prevent pinch flats, I was running more pressure in my tires which I wasn't
    used to do that. So as a result I got smacked down on the ground twice by loosing grip
    on the front tire.
    But now I run my tires at lower pressure as I've run it before, because I prefer to go
    home with a torn inner tube than torn arms.
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Yup, like it's been said - shift your arse forward & outward, pushing the bike over underneath you, elbows bent & pointed out moto-style, while you stay upright(ish) and really try to bury front wheel into the dirt. Reach as if you're trying to lick the outside front wheel QR - exaggerate it at first to get a feel for it, it'll feel weird if you're not used to throwing your weight around, but you'll actually feel the tyre digging in & sticking.

Years ago I switched to a big, fat, grippy front tyre, with a whippit on the back to get the front stuck & the back sliding (personal preference, but that's how I enjoy it best!), also 35psi front, 40psi rear to give more front grip and less pinch flats (as it's usually the rear that cops it).

Sag sounds alright, certainly plenty pert; if anything I'd have a touch more. Very rough guide to the rebound is to compress the forks & then pull them up sharply - if you can get the front wheel off the ground before the forks are extended then it's probably a bit too slow, if you can feel it pushing you back up it's too fast.

There's probably a better guide on here somewhere, but I like it simple! :wink:

Bet by the end the day you'll be sticking the front & drifting the back, off the brakes & clipped in - funny how you can improve by concentrating on one thing, which might never improve through general riding.
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • baccodaddy
    baccodaddy Posts: 128
    it could be just the forks your using ? i have one bike with rockshox toras on and have had the front wheel washout a few times .my other bike has fox 120 rlc forks and on the same course can take the corners faster and more stable.