Fingers crossed!

Si78
Si78 Posts: 963
edited June 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Fingers crossed that they may have found a 'magic bullet' for the treatment of cancer!
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx? ... =148083821
Why has my sig been removed by the admins???

Comments

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    If that truly does work, it could well be the greatest scientific discovery of our lifetimes. I hope so, the world is overdue some good news for a change.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Seem magic bullets for other cancers ie radio pharmaceuticals that gather in the tumour and nuke it. Interesting stuff.
  • Si78
    supersonic wrote:
    Looks promising!

Certainly does!
    If that truly does work, it could well be the greatest scientific discovery of our lifetimes. I hope so, the world is overdue some good news for a change.

Yes, one of medicines holy grails. Would be fantastic. Just hope its trialing is quick, and doesn't show up any side effects etc.

My Dad has prostate cancer, and his PSA level is slowly creeping up again :cry:
  • supersonic
    Sorry to hear that, hope he recovers well.
  • Si78
    supersonic wrote:
    Sorry to hear that, hope he recovers well.

Cheers supersonic. His isn't as aggressive as the cancer described in the article thankfully.

Isn't it great that this is what us fellas have to look forward to as we get older....
    I think they recommend that chaps start getting their prostate checked when they reach 40.
  • supersonic
    Yeah, will be making sure I have all the tests done.

ALready on BP medication since I was 24, and soon to take cholesterol lowering drugs - prevention I say!
  • Si78
    supersonic wrote:
    Yeah, will be making sure I have all the tests done.

ALready on BP medication since I was 24, and soon to take cholesterol lowering drugs - prevention I say!

Good lad! I'm sure its embarrassing to get the prostate check done, but very important.

What is your cholesterol level ss, if you dont mind me asking?
  • supersonic
    It was 6.4, now is 5.4 which doesn't seem to high but the docs want it under 5. Have a massive history of heart disease and hypertension in the family, with my Dad having heart attacks in his mid 30s plus a quad bypass at just 41.

My BP was catastophic at 220/125.
  • Si78
    supersonic wrote:
    It was 6.4, now is 5.4 which doesn't seem to high but the docs want it under 5. Have a massive history of heart disease and hypertension in the family, with my Dad having heart attacks in his mid 30s plus a quad bypass at just 41.

My BP was catastophic at 220/125.

OMG! What is your BP now?

Am I right in thinking a rough guideline figure is 'your age + 100 over 90'? ish...
  • supersonic
    120/80 is ideal

140/90 acceptable for older people.

Mine is about 145/85 so not bad!
  • Si78
    supersonic wrote:
    120/80 is ideal

140/90 acceptable for older people.

Mine is about 145/85 so not bad!

Wow, that is a remarkable reduction from the earlier figure!

Also, one of my aunties had very high cholesterol. She started taking cinnamon, I think, and her cholesterol reduced massively, within a few weeks.
  • supersonic
    Mine used to spike - was in and out of hospital for years with it. Glad it is settling down now!
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    Lets just hope that the Cancer treatment doesn't end out like what happened in I am Legend, possibly one of my favourite films EVER!!! :)
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    My Grandad Died on November 14th Last Year From Bowel Cancer :cry:
    Went in to hospital about 3weeks earlier and was fine in him self, walked in etc about 10days later he was told he had MRSA and a list of other infections all from the hospital..
    Completely lost faith in the NHS!!
  • Si78
    jacktheoc wrote:
    My Grandad Died on November 14th Last Year From Bowel Cancer :cry:
    Went in to hospital about 3weeks earlier and was fine in him self, walked in etc about 10days later he was told he had MRSA and a list of other infections all from the hospital..
    Completely lost faith in the NHS!!

Sorry to hear that mate :cry:

I'm with you tho..I've got no faith in the NHS, or more specifically the Countess of Chester Hospital.

My Mum was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in the early 1980's. Gradually got worse, eventually resulting in her being bed-ridden, unable to move or even speak.
    My Dad, myself and my sister nursed her at home for years. My Dad is a former Charge nurse, so knew what he was doing.
    The health authority had a problem with us caring for her though.
    Said she should be in the hospital....

They dropped her, let her get bed sores, left her lying in her own faeces and vomit, didnt wash her. They said they wouldnt even bother trying to resucitate her if she was about to die...

We fought, and eventually got her home again.

Unfortunately, due to the poor treatment at the hospital, she got worse and worse. To cut a long story short she died in 2001, at 57.

My Mum used to be the head occupational therapist at the same hospital before she got ill...she knew a lot of the nurses there...

And they f*cking treated her like that.

Sorry if ive put a downer on everyone!

Si
  • it would be wonderful if this works - there can't be many families out there that haven't been touched by cancer of some sort - every single one of my grandparents have died of it - one of them died in their 40s.

Si - really terribly sorry to hear how your mum was treated.
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Si78
    it would be wonderful if this works - there can't be many families out there that haven't been touched by cancer of some sort - every single one of my grandparents have died of it - one of them died in their 40s.

Si - really terribly sorry to hear how your mum was treated.

Thanks SpinningJenny.
    Yes it would be wonderful if it works, like you say most people have been affected by cancer in one way or another. Really gives us hope for a cure tho!