MTB Gearing do you have to change

pimptovimto
pimptovimto Posts: 56
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi I have an MTB which I want to use to do some longer rides, a guy I met touring recently on a hybrid with MTB gearing said he was going to have to get the front chainset changed because he was spinning and not get efficeincy from his pedalling. Anyone got any advice on this and is there a downside to moving to more teeth at the front?

Thanks

PV

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Sounds like he was talking b*llocks. A high cadence (90-100 rpm) is (I've read) more efficient than a lower cadence.

That said, it depends a lot on what sort of terrain you're riding in. If you're riding off-road in a mountainous area then you'd be best to leave the gearing as is. If you're riding a lot on roads on flat terrain then you might find it worthwhile changing to a 48-36-26 (or something like that) chainset.
  • Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    For me at least on MTB gearing I don't start spinning out of gears till 30-35mph ish. At the bottom end I think the lowest gears take you down to about 2.5-3mph. Personally, would rather have gears that can tackle any hill with a full load than worrying about spinning out above 35mph. My runaround also has MTB gearing - the granny ring hardly sees use and I do run out of the high gears now and then, so I guess that is undergeared for purpose. But in practice it's not much bother and not worth the expense of fixing.
  • BE1
    BE1 Posts: 27
    As Andy says it depends on the terrain but also on your fitness and load. My MTB is 40/30/20 up front and 13/23 at the back. Down big hills I'd spin out if I were pedaling but as I'm knackered from getting up them that I'm happy just to coast :D