TDF 2009 Stage Winners - Predictions

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited June 2009 in Pro race
So who do you think will win stages at this year's Tour?

Apart from the obvious GC contenders in the TT, the TTT and maybe on the Ventoux, and of course Cav on the flat stages, who do you think is going to win stages this year?

My money is on Jani Brajkovic (if he makes Astana's roster!) to bag a stage win in a breakaway that keeps away from the Peloton- maybe on one of the hillier stages, or even a mountain stage. And no, I have no idea what stage it will be! It's just a hunch... :)

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Not sure about Brajkovic, a talented rider certainly, but Armstrong and Bruyneel don't like their riders going in breaks. And they may be in a state of civil war by the mountains.

My tip for a mountain stage is Gesink to win on Ventoux. (Afx this is NOT my PTP pick)

Cav to win 5 stages and Cunego to grab one (the flat stage with a kick up at the end).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • paulcuthbert
    I don't know. I remember an Armstrong interview talking about Hincapie's win in 2005, and he didn't know why no one had done that before his last tour- he certainly isn't dead against the idea, especially, as would be the case with Brajkovic, if they aren't threatening the GC.

Gesink is a good shout. I think Fugslang could be a name to watch as well. And because I'm Irish, I'd love to see Dan Martin get a stage win! Although I'm not too sure if he's riding the Tour....
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    I think Fugslang could be a name to watch as well. And because I'm Irish, I'd love to see Dan Martin get a stage win! Although I'm not too sure if he's riding the Tour....
    Fugslang is not riding the Tour
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • paulcuthbert
    There goes that one then!

Can't believe I forgot about Fabian Cancellara as well. Oops!
  • RichN95.
    I don't know. I remember an Armstrong interview talking about Hincapie's win in 2005, and he didn't know why no one had done that before his last tour- he certainly isn't dead against the idea, especially, as would be the case with Brajkovic, if they aren't threatening the GC.

Gesink is a good shout. I think Fugslang could be a name to watch as well. And because I'm Irish, I'd love to see Dan Martin get a stage win! Although I'm not too sure if he's riding the Tour....

Yeah Fugslang has looked good recently. I think it may be a little too early. Apparently Dan Martin has made the team so they'll be downing the Guinness and Jamesons and enjoying the craic back in the his home town of Birmingham. (No offence, but he's British really)
  • paulcuthbert
    Who cares! Scotland loves Rod Stewart, so why can't I support Dan Martin? :)

And personally, I prefer Bushmills... ;)
  • RichN95.

Fair enough, we've been pretending Irishmen are pseudo-British from Kelly and Roche through to Padraig Harrington

(I like Jamesons becuse it's what Jimmy McNulty drinks in The Wire - Bushmills is better but not many Cardiff bars have it)
  • paulcuthbert
    Aye, that's the thing... when an Irish person does badly, they're Irish (and probably a terrorist) to the British media. But when the Irish do well, they're always 'British' and the British media support and praise them. It's bullshit
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    Aye, that's the thing... when an Irish person does badly, they're Irish (and probably a terrorist) to the British media. But when the Irish do well, they're always 'British' and the British media support and praise them. It's bullshit

To be fair your football team has its fair share of Brits along for the ride, we're all just one happy family, no?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Also, probably everyone in Ireland has a claim for being English, and vice versa, we've been banging each other for years ;). I myself am a quarter Irish.

As for stage picks, Jens Voigt would be a dead cert before last year when he worked for the team. As for Cancellara, I think he's getting his moment of glory now, so apart from TTs he's not gona have much of a free hand.

I think Cervelo will have a good tour, cos they've got a few talented breakaway riders.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Menchov always does well on the Ventoux.

Though probably not on the last day of a 3 week tour.

I can see Kirchen or Bossen-Hagen (can't remember if that how to spell it), winning a stage.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:

Fair enough, we've been pretending Irishmen are pseudo-British from Kelly and Roche through to Padraig Harrington

(I like Jamesons becuse it's what Jimmy McNulty drinks in The Wire - Bushmills is better but not many Cardiff bars have it)

Jamesons? Bushmills? Pfft. Black Bush all the way.

Strava is not Zen.
  • paulcuthbert
    Jens Voigt would be a dead cert before last year when he worked for the team. As for Cancellara, I think he's getting his moment of glory now, so apart from TTs he's not gona have much of a free hand.

I think Cervelo will have a good tour, cos they've got a few talented breakaway riders.

Another good call. I forgot about Jens Voigt. And with all these names flooding back, i'm getting really excited about the Tour! :D
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    well...the 3rd stage in the pyrenees has two first cat cols or hors cat, but I think Cav could win given they are so far from the finish...the TDF organisers are pretty damn stupid to spoil two great days with long flat and downhill run ins that will let the race come back together...am surprised they'd spoil the event that way...
  • paulcuthbert
    What about Ventoux on the penultimate day? Genius inclusion or stupidity?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    What about Ventoux on the penultimate day? Genius inclusion or stupidity?

I suppose thats one question that cant really be answered until afterwards, it could be the race is tight and it could be explosive therefore a masterstroke or the Yellow Jersey could be mins clear and just mark the moves therefore damp squib time.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • paulcuthbert
    I guess. All i know is i can't wait for it...