watching the tdf on a mac?

speedy641
speedy641 Posts: 89
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Many apologies if this has been gone through before ( I did search!)....but does anyone use 'Eurosport' to watch tdf etc on an apple mac?

I'm assuming the older macs won't work, but just wondering if the new intel based dual boot ones do work?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    speedy641 wrote:
    Many apologies if this has been gone through before ( I did search!)....but does anyone use 'Eurosport' to watch tdf etc on an apple mac?

I'm assuming the older macs won't work, but just wondering if the new intel based dual boot ones do work?

Eurosport player works just fine on OSX.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • speedy641
    speedy641 Posts: 89
    Thanks iainf72..is that even on an older mac (version 10.4.11)?...ie. not one of the new intel ones?
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    If you're talking about their proprietary iPlayer thingie, there are necessarily System requirements listed on the download site which will answer your question. I'm geographically prevented from downloading it and don't have time to set up a EU proxy right now.

If you're talking about the many "third-party" internet streams, they're either flash of WMV, so they work perfectly on any computer with the appropriate software. On the Mac, an up-to-date QuickTime with the Flip4Mac plug-in should let you watch pretty much anything on the net.

If Macs are supported, there is no reason "older Macs" won't work. Unless by "older" you mean beige G3's, of course. Anything upwards of that can stream video without problem. Any MacTel will blaze through without a hitch. MacPros could keep sequencing the human genome in the background while streaming video without a hiccup.

I watch live racing while working on our Mac most mornings. Just don't tell my boss. :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The version number of Tiger I think so it should work regardless of CPU type.

But I have one running PPC so I'll check it out this weekend
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:

My G4 streams fine, but not sure if the Eurosport Player (the one you have to pay for) is OSX friendly.

I can see a divide here developing between Mac and Windoze deeper than Campag-Shimano or Lance v Haters. :cry:

Strava is not Zen.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    calvjones wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

My G4 streams fine, but not sure if the Eurosport Player (the one you have to pay for) is OSX friendly.

I can see a divide here developing between Mac and Windoze deeper than Campag-Shimano or Lance v Haters. :cry:

You're not wrong Calv. There is only one computer - the Mac!

(Windows ... ehhh) :wink:
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    You can make it work but it's a bot convoluted as Europsort player streams in a Windows media player format and doesn't seem to like Safari.

To get past this instal flip4mac so quicktime can play wmv files (free download - just stick it in google) and use firefox (again a free download) then make it so embedded media are shown in a pop-out player (somwhere in a settings / preference tag).

If anyone knows a better work around than this I'd love to hear

Also does anyone else have buffering problems with the player generally? The Giro was a nightmare...
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    SpaceJunk wrote:

True ... they all use Intel chips now :wink:
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    i watch all the races on my mac, and sites like Justin TV work just fine...
  • calvjones
    rockmount wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:

True ... they all use Intel chips now :wink:

It's not about the byte.

:oops:

Strava is not Zen.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Macs are for people who want to be different, but just can't handle Linux.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • calvjones
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Macs are for people who want to be different, but just can't handle Linux.

Oh, I dunno. I run Ubuntu as well as OSX 10.3 and 10.5 around the place.

Linux is fine, but sometimes you just need pretty. :wink:

Strava is not Zen.