Mountain Mayhem Course report

cgarossi
cgarossi Posts: 729
edited June 2009 in MTB rides
I've just completed the course for this years Mountain Mayhem during the free inspection hours.

This years course is slightly altered, there is no grass uphill in the middle of the event anymore and the start is situated in the nearest field to the event entrance. This means the course takes you toward the centre of the event and then switches back. A bit of a crowd spectacle but its not a fast start like last year. You end cycling away from the event pretty quickly and on to some pretty horrible grass uphill. Although short, grass is a horrible energy sapper so beware of going to quickly and using up your energy reserves.

The uphill crosses a section of tarmac and then into a field and continues parallel to the tarmac entrance road when Eastnor is used for camping. You end up at the top of the campsite next to a gate house. The course veers left and puts your out of sight of any spectators. You're pretty much on your own from here until the second section.

A fun, albeit short section of downhill takes you on a landrover track which is mostly covered with grass and then up again into the woods toward the north side of Eastnor. Some fun single track here with roots marked out with white paint. This section could be tricky in the dark. The single track continues for around 400 yards and then doubles back on to a dirt road used as a third entrance to Eastnor from malvern. You can get some speed here but be carefull as it then takes a right hand switch back onto a fast downhill.

After this fun downhill the course flattens out again and brings you out back into Eastnor park opposite the campsite. More wide grass downhill circles the campsite and then takes you up to the middle of the event itself. Any of your familiar with Eastnor park will know there is an Obilisk at the top of it and landrover track leading to the top. You'll also know this looks a bitch to climb. It is! Even though the track has recently been hardpacked and is now rutless, its no less of a ball ache to get up there. The course climbs to around the centre of the uphill and veers to the left. A welcome break of single track ensues, but still maintains a slight gradient.

Some muddy sections can be found here as well as off camber tracks and pot holes. Its probably best to maintain your distance from some riders and some people are bound to come unstuck here. Balance is crucial for the off camber sections and a good set of tyres will help. This section climbs gradually and eventually ends up in a fern field then takes a hard right toward the obilisk. From here there is a mix of very steep semi-technical downhill and more very tight single track, mixed in with wide landrover tracks. Look out for alternative routes posted as some sections might not be suitable for newbies. Especially at night. I paniced slightly and came off on the narrow single track as the there is a nasty drop off to the right. All this is underneath a canopy of dense trees.

Once you reach the summit of Eastnor hill its all wide grass downhill back to the start/finish. Be carefull, this too is off camber and if its wet some bikes have been know to slide underneath the rider.

All in all a very enjoyable course. I did it in roughly 1 hour and 10 minutes. Which I suppose is average and im not a fast rider.

Hope this helps any one who might be turning up tomorrow. :)

Comments

• Thanks for posting that.

I'm riding solo as my my first ever time and I won't be there until mid morning. It's nice to know what to expect.
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Im not competing this year. But seriously tempted for next.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It got a lot more fun with a bit of rain, very greasy in places. Ended up with two diversions due to bad crashes etc. Good mix of obstacles, almost enjoyed my last lap.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result