Rooks admits EPO use

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2009 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rooks-admits-to-epo-use

After 1989 - Certainly 1990 was the first I heard of it.

All coming out of the woodwork now, eh?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• that does surprise me... a little
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    that does surprise me... a little

What - that he took it, or admitted to taking it?

Interesting to note he only started to take it in 1989, the year after coming second in GC and won KOM.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    After 1989, not "in 1989"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Is it really a surprise? Wasn't the mass abandonment of the entire PDM team in 1991 eventually admitted to be due to the administration of a bad batch of EPO? Rooks was on the team then.
  • mididoctors2
    mididoctors2 Posts: 96
    edited June 2009
    andyp wrote:
    Is it really a surprise? Wasn't the mass abandonment of the entire PDM team in 1991 eventually admitted to be due to the administration of a bad batch of EPO? Rooks was on the team then.

i thought that was dodgy transfusions?
  • SpaceJunk wrote:
    that does surprise me... a little

What - that he took it, or admitted to taking it?

Interesting to note he only started to take it in 1989, the year after coming second in GC and won KOM.

the early adoption...
  • andyp
    andyp wrote:

i thought that was a dodgy transfusions?

I'm sure there was a confession made on a Dutch TV show where it was stated that EPO was the cause but they'd lied about that at the time. I know Intralipid was mentioned too so might have got the facts confused. But there was definitely an admission of EPO usage within the team in 1991.

Edit: a quick google shows details on the Wikipedia page;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDM-Concorde
  • hmmm maybe i need to slightly adjust my timeline of understanding by a couple of years or so?
  • andyp wrote:
    I know Intralipid was mentioned too so might have got the facts confused.

I may be being thick here, but why would anyone abuse intralipid?

RBIT
  • andyp
    I may be being thick here, but why would anyone abuse intralipid?

RBIT
    I assume they were using it to get additional calories. I don't know if they were abusing it as such, just using it.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Rooks was at Buckler (Jan Raas' team) in 1991, not PDM.

This confession and EPO use by Rooks does surprise me a bit. He already confessed a couple of years ago using doping during his career: testosterone, amphetamines etc, all the regular pre-EPO era doping of the 1980s. I'm a bit surprised by the move to EPO after 1989, because his career really went downhill in the 1990s, well, basically after 1989..... :?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    FJS wrote:
    I'm a bit surprised by the move to EPO after 1989, because his career really went downhill in the 1990s, well, basically after 1989..... :?
    And therein lies the rub............some respond better to it than others. He went from being a top climber to an also ran.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Bronzie wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    I'm a bit surprised by the move to EPO after 1989, because his career really went downhill in the 1990s, well, basically after 1989..... :?
    And therein lies the rub............some respond better to it than others. He went from being a top climber to an also ran.
    This would definitely add some evidence for that idea, yes
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    what about the massive boost EPO is supposed to give riders who are crap, make them brilliant??? .....EPO could not turn around Rooks' decline... and so Indurain in 88, 89 winnng at TDF 89 , Paris Nice 89 was very much proof he could win the TDF in the future and not proof of EPO as from Rooks account it seems clear EPO was not being dished out to everyone...Rooks used other PEDs too, admits to them.."work a good Dr" is the exact quote from him. IMO Indurain's 7 GT wins are given a little more cred as it seems pretty obvious his promise in the late 80s was not drug to the eye balls...but a natural talent developing...even though he surely had to step up the plate later am sure
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    what about the massive boost EPO is supposed to give riders who are crap, make them brilliant???
    As has been mentioned plenty of times on here previously, all riders respond differently. In the simplest terms someone with a natural haemocrit of 49 has much less to gain from boosting it to 50, or even 58, than someone whose natural haemocrit level is 39...
    Dave_1 wrote:
    so Indurain in 88, 89 winnng at TDF 89 , Paris Nice 89 was very much proof he could win the TDF in the future
    If such performances were 'proof' of Tour winning ability, how come so many Tour stage and even Paris-Nice winners have never got anywhere near to the TDF podium?
  • dave_1
    aurelio wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    what about the massive boost EPO is supposed to give riders who are crap, make them brilliant???
    As has been mentioned plenty of times on here previously, all riders respond differently. In the simplest terms someone with a natural haemocrit of 49 has much less to gain from boosting it to 50, or even 58, than someone whose natural haemocrit level is 39...
    Dave_1 wrote:
    so Indurain in 88, 89 winnng at TDF 89 , Paris Nice 89 was very much proof he could win the TDF in the future
    If such performances were 'proof' of Tour winning ability, how come so many Tour stage and even Paris-Nice winners have never got anywhere near to the TDF podium?

a mountain stage win in 89 summit in pyrenees on a long uphilll , Cauteret, a proper mountain stage summit win, ...

re EPO use...someone at 39 crit will altitude train and micro dose epo up to the same limit of 50% , manage some health risks yes, but they will do it,...and Rooks as an example could be taken as sign EPO will not much help someone in poor form-ageing pro
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Dave_1 wrote:
    what about the massive boost EPO is supposed to give riders who are crap, make them brilliant??? .....EPO could not turn around Rooks' decline... and so Indurain in 88, 89 winnng at TDF 89 , Paris Nice 89 was very much proof he could win the TDF in the future and not proof of EPO as from Rooks account it seems clear EPO was not being dished out to everyone...Rooks used other PEDs too, admits to them.."work a good Dr" is the exact quote from him. IMO Indurain's 7 GT wins are given a little more cred as it seems pretty obvious his promise in the late 80s was not drug to the eye balls...but a natural talent developing...even though he surely had to step up the plate later am sure

chiappucci.jpgimage58.jpg
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's never so black and white. "Taking EPO" is not as simple as it sounds. Do you take big doses or small ones. Do you try to top up your blood count during a stage race or do you seek the maximum advantage? Do you spend a lot of money on this very expensive product and hire shady experts to oversee the doping programmes or just visit a pharmacy in Monaco and Andorra and buy a box to try?

Anyway, "Former TVM rider takes EPO" is hardly news, it's up there with "Cyclist rides bike" or "Wheel is round" for news. Skibby, Roux, Hamburger and others have all been caught or exposed, this was hardly the healthiest of outfits.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Not a surprise really I suppose.

Rooks was my first hero of the Tour de France so I feel a little cheated.
  • I was looking at the list of KOM winners the other day and that made me feel cheated.
  • dave_1
    Not a surprise really I suppose.

Rooks was my first hero of the Tour de France so I feel a little cheated.

Rooks actually has some ethics in my opinion...he stated in interviews that he would pull up road side and drop 10 minutes, the required time to let delgado back into yellow had Delgado been given a 10 minute penalty at the 1988 TDF...Rooks would have refused the win...I guess he knew he and Delgado were only on the same products. level playing field of sorts
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Wait a minute! Wait a cotton picking good darn minute!

We're onto the 2nd page of an 'ex cyclist admits to doping' thread and nobody has yet alleged he was an also-ran who was just not good enough and is bitter nor anyone alleging he is only doing it for the money.

I am, quite frankly, extremely disappointed.
    :wink: