Rock Shox problem for Noob

deadpheasant
deadpheasant Posts: 8
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I've had a Kona Cinder Cone for 2 weeks now and the rebound adjuster on the Rock Shox Dart 3 has disappeared from the shocks causing all the oil to piss out all over the place. I've only been 30 miles along the Leeds Liverpool canal towpaths. I haven't even adjusted the rebound as to be honest I didn't know what it was. Like I said I'm a complete noob to suspension forks. The forks wouldn't Lock Out before and I think this is the reason now.
Is this an easy fix, and Evans should fix it for me shouldn't they otherwise they weren't fit for purpose?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    back to the shop with it and do not ride the bike as it is dangerous.

if the adjuster had just fallen out no problem as it is a removable "allen" key.

but is you have lost all the oil the foot nut must have come undone and is no longer holding the fork together on the left side.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit reluctant to go back to Evans as their customer service is rubbish (in Castleford it is anyway). But i suppose i've only had it two weeks and should be entitled to the repair. i've emailed them but no reply (suprise suprise). it is easy enough for them to refill with oil and give me a new adjuster? Would this be the cause of being able to not Lock Out. I really don't know much about suspension forks, so I apologise.
  • Underpants
    Underpants Posts: 120
    Oh dear....I've just picked up my new Cinder Cone (see other thread) :shock:

Hope you get it sorted soon.

PS - if you're in Leeds let me know of any decent trails etc....I'm a complete noob myself and dont have a clue where to ride :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit reluctant to go back to Evans as their customer service is rubbish (in Castleford it is anyway). But i suppose i've only had it two weeks and should be entitled to the repair. i've emailed them but no reply (suprise suprise). it is easy enough for them to refill with oil and give me a new adjuster? Would this be the cause of being able to not Lock Out. I really don't know much about suspension forks, so I apologise.

just to clear this up.

if the adjuster fell out ther forks should behave just as they did before, it is removable.

if they have leaked they are faulty and need fixing/replacing.

id the foot nut has also undone and fallen out the fork is dangerous do not use and return it for fixing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown