Astana tour team

jim one
jim one Posts: 183
edited June 2009 in Pro race
From http://www.astana-cyclingteam.com/news_ ... tdf09.html

The following 6 riders will be on the final roster, and includes 7-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong, and 3-time Grand Tour winner Alberto Contador. Joining them will be Andreas Klöden, Levi Leipheimer, Yaroslav Popovych and Haimar Zubeldia.

Of the remaining 7 riders on the pre-selection list, 3 will make the final squad. These riders are: Jani Brajkovic, Chris Horner, Benjamín Noval, Dmitriy Muravyev, Sergio Paulinho, Gregory Rast & Tomas Vaitkus.

Nice amount of Kazaks....

Comments

• rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    jim one wrote:
    Nice amount of Kazaks....

What about Garmin ?

http://www.tourtoto.net/tourteams.php?id=75

Nice amount of Garmins....
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I wonder how long it will be before JB wakes up to find a Yak's head in his bed?

Strava is not Zen.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Bet we don't see Noval or Paulhino in the team as they are the two riders Contador specifically named as being 'loyal' to him
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I reckon both Brajkovic and Horner will be in the team assuming they are fit.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300

+1
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Any team that has yellow jersey aspirations needs a couple of big strong rouleurs, i.e. like Voigt or Hincapie, who are happy sitting on the front of a peleton for kilometre after kilometre, day in, day out.

The six names announced are all able to climb so I wouldn't be surprised if riders like Rast or Noval get picked. I'd be surprised to see Brajkovic in the team as he doesn't offer you anything than you'll not get from Kloeden or Popovych.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

I'm betting Rast will be the third.
  • Quite Frankly
    Quite Frankly Posts: 386
    edited June 2009
    andyp wrote:
    Any team that has yellow jersey aspirations needs a couple of big strong rouleurs, i.e. like Voigt or Hincapie, who are happy sitting on the front of a peloton for kilometre after kilometre, day in, day out.

The six names announced are all able to climb so I wouldn't be surprised if riders like Rast or Noval get picked. I'd be surprised to see Brajkovic in the team as he doesn't offer you anything than you'll not get from Kloeden or Popovych.

I think Brajkovic is worth having in there for his time trialing ability alone. Horner, if fit, will definitely be in there leaving one of Rast or Noval for the last spot. You've then got Popo, Noval/Rast and Brajkovic for the donkey work on the flat and Kloden, Zubeldia and Horner for the mountain work.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    gonna be interesting i think. They don't look as strong as i thought they might do, unless of course Levi and Kloden are happy to pull uphill for the whole race.. Horner looked good for some of the Giro and Brajkovic is a real talent...
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,043
    calvjones wrote:
    I wonder how long it will be before JB wakes up to find a Yak's head in his bed?

He does seem to be intent on winding up the sponsors after all the money they have shelled out.

The team website has a poll to vote for the most deserving of the short list, I guess this is designed to back up JB's explanation for no Kazakh representation. Blame the fans. :roll:

For what it's worth I voted Muravyev.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    calvjones wrote:

Bruyneel or Brájkovič???