No race radios in Tour de France

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Well, for two stages only that is. On the 14 July stage to Issoudun and the stage in the Vosges hills of Alsace, there will be a ban on race radios. Should be an interesting experiment, especially later into the race. Expect teams to work around it, posting people at the roadside for "private" team checks and more.

Comments

• Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Could they not just use mobile phones instead?

Or are the rules very strict?

I welcome it personally, it gets a bit disappointing when people get told what to do and follow like robots. :|
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    They'll try anything to ensure a plucky French breakaway winner on Bastille Day, eh? :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    they need to make garmins to show team info :wink:
  • Dedalus
    Dedalus Posts: 13
    JC.152 wrote:
    they need to make garmins to show team info :wink:

What's the betting that they'd make them avaiable to just one team? :)
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    After "cyclisme à deux vitesses", the new French obsession: race radios!! I wonder what they'll do once they realize they can't really blame radios for the lack of French champions in recent years. I'm looking forward to the French championships run with a ban on derailleurs or bar tape.

JR Bernaudeau must be so happy right now.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    I don't think the French give a sh*t about a French race winner - their attitude has always been to applaud the grand champions, whatever nationality. But what they do care about is panache and race radios must take some of the blame for robbing the race of excitement.

Mobiles were always banned under the race rules - years ago the Telekom jersey featured a natty little pocket on the sleeve to show off the sponsors latest phones but they weren't allowed to use them in the race.

Good for ASO for trying something different to inject a bit of excitement into the somewhat formulaic state of road racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    micron wrote:
    Mobiles were always banned under the race rules - years ago the Telekom jersey featured a natty little pocket on the sleeve to show off the sponsors latest phones but they weren't allowed to use them in the race.

I think they were briefly allowed, but Cipollini kept phoning his mates (or girlfriends) from the middle of the peloton, so they banned them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    +1 micron !!

how many flat stages have seen mini group breakaways or soloists get a good 5 or even 10 minutes on the peloton only for them to be swept up almost exactly by the 1k flag....

I think last year when the prologue was foregone for an on the road intro was a good thing as they are prepared to play with the format a bit and give new things a go to see if it makes the racing more exciting for the viewers

good on you Prudhomme
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kléber wrote:
    Well, for two stages only that is. On the 14 July stage to Issoudun and the stage in the Vosges hills of Alsace, there will be a ban on race radios. Should be an interesting experiment, especially later into the race. Expect teams to work around it, posting people at the roadside for "private" team checks and more.

So what are we to conclude if the two stages are completely lacking in excitement ? For me ban them for the whole race not just selected stages which probably will not have much impact on the overall.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    if the race breaks apart in the Vosges it could be amusing
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dedalus
    Dedalus Posts: 13
    micron wrote:
    I don't think the French give a sh*t about a French race winner - their attitude has always been to applaud the grand champions, whatever nationality.

One of the main reason why I prefer the Tour to the Giro or Vuelta - those races are too partizan, almost tribal.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

So what are we to conclude if the two stages are completely lacking in excitement ? For me ban them for the whole race not just selected stages which probably will not have much impact on the overall.

I agree Moray; I'd love to see a whole three week race with radios.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pointless exercise. If races lack excitement it's because of the route or the riders.

FFS, what next, a few stages behind dernys?

Why is it when the UCI stop technological developments they're the boogie man but when ASO do it they're "teh awesome"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • phearnde
    phearnde Posts: 73
    So mobiles are banned .. so how does Mr Armstrong update his twitter(ings) - perhaps he has a Blackberry!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Bhima wrote:
    Could they not just use mobile phones instead?

Or are the rules very strict?

I welcome it personally, it gets a bit disappointing when people get told what to do and follow like robots. :|

The answer to your prayers, Bhima :lol::lol:

banana20phone20text.jpg

Willhub,Willhub, come in Willhub!!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Anyone who's played Pro Cycling Manager can understand why there is a school of thought for banning race radios. :P
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    iainf72 wrote:
    Pointless exercise. If races lack excitement it's because of the route or the riders.

Why is it when the UCI stop technological developments they're the boogie man but when ASO do it they're "teh awesome"

spinichi bars were fffing dangerous
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    iainf72 wrote:

spinichi bars were fffing dangerous

yeh but what about riders still doing the spinaci position over their bars?thats probly as dangerous
  • fyak1
    fyak1 Posts: 32
    So, was this 'no radio comms for two stages' thing just unsubstantiated hearsay? Having been alerted to the possibility by Johan Bruyneel's Twiiter feed a few days ago (he posted a link to the Astana website which was hosting a poll as to whether it was a good idea or not) I have found nothing in the dependable cycling press mentioning it.
    What's the go? ... Oooh, sorry my mobile's just gone and I have to answer it as someone's giving me guidance on how to best finish this post...
    -Orbea Orca
    -Orbea Zeus carbon cranks/seatpost/stem & bars
    -Dura-Ace
    -Ksyrium SSC SL\'s
    -Aliante carbon saddle
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,043
    It's not a concern for Bruyneel.

He has a secret weapon.

A guy, with a camera, on a motor bike, on the payroll.
  • fyak1
    fyak1 Posts: 32
    What a preposterous suggestion! Next you'll suggest they'll hold up a board telling the cyclists what the gap is betweent groups. Absolute nonsense.
    -Orbea Orca
    -Orbea Zeus carbon cranks/seatpost/stem & bars
    -Dura-Ace
    -Ksyrium SSC SL\'s
    -Aliante carbon saddle
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/directeurs-opposed-to-radio-free-racing

Interesting that the Directeurs Sportif are in danger of being made redundant.

Watching the French championship last Saturday (no earpieces) the eventual winner Champion used his intuition to launch his final attack realising that the two FDJ riders were about to join up. However Geslin admits that he did not realise he was about to be joined by Roux!

Meanwhile Roux later commented "L'absence d'oreillette, ça libère un peu, ça oblige à bien regarder la course. On a moins de pression, on n'a pas le directeur sportif qui nous engueule dans l'oreille."

"Not wearing earpieces gave us more freedom, you had to keep a close watch on the race progress. We were under less pressure, you did not have the directeur sportif bellowing in your ear"
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    That was a great race - Champion rode very astutely. Roux's comments give an interesting perspective, too - clearly he enjoyed the opportunity to think for himself :wink: