Brake block removal

keithc440
keithc440 Posts: 277
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Is there a secret to removing brake blocks from their cartridge or does it just require brute strength ? Have been trying to get some out of Veloce brakes and they don't seem inclined to budge. I know there is a right and wrong way to push them to and I am going the right way towards the open end.

Comments

• there is a very easy way to do this. it doesn't involve sliding the brake pad out the way it came.

what you need to do is get the head of a small flat head screwdriver in between the brake pad and the brake shoe and work it up in there, then work it up the shoe and at the same time gradually lever out the worn pad out and away from the shoe. eventually it should just pop out pretty easily. when you have this technique down it will take you 20 seconds max to get it out.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Similar to above, but once youve got the end of the block levered up a bit, it will pull out easily with pliers.
  • tonyscp
    tonyscp Posts: 111
    This was on the forum a while back and a suggestion was to put the pad in a vice and tighten slightly. I tried it and it works a treat - you can push the holder off just using fingers and thumbs. Remember to lubricate the holder when putting the new pad back in.

Cheers,
    TonyS