Tour de Suisse St 6 ***Spoiler***

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,241
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Bunch sprint finish.

Don't need to tell you who won.

His winning all the time is starting get quite boring now.
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    columbia are getting very good at delivering him to the line
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    After following pro cycling since the early 70's I'll never get bored with Brits winning! :lol:
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    and hincapie Cav's top domestique....big George has struck gold twice now, ending up in lead domestique roles for LA and then Cav. With cav, surely that jump will not last to 30, I reckon he has 3 or so years with that kick till he slows a bit and someone else will come along...challenege him
  • RichN95.
    Coyote wrote:
    After following pro cycling since the early 70's I'll never get bored with Brits winning! :lol:

Me too. I was only joking with the boring bit. I would like to see him challenged though, which is why I want Boonen in the Tour. Freire and Hushovd seem to have almost given up and Bennati doesn't seem to have much form.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    SUUUUUUPER SUPER CAV!! :lol:
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    I believe Boonen is excluded as of today. in any event I dont think he has beaten Cav in a sprint this year? prpeared to be called wrong on that but I cannot think when.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    camerone wrote:
    I believe Boonen is excluded as of today. in any event I dont think he has beaten Cav in a sprint this year? prpeared to be called wrong on that but I cannot think when.

He's going for a Museeuw career as opposed to a Cippo career.

The older he gets the less he'll compete and be interested in sprint finishes.

He's a strong classics man first and foremost.

But you're right, Cavendish beats him in a spirnt. Though, Petacchi found his achilies heel in the first two Giro sprints.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • camerone
    teagar wrote:
    camerone wrote:

But you're right, Cavendish beats him in a spirnt. Though, Petacchi found his achilies heel in the first two Giro sprints.

petacchi got him fair and square in the first sprint, cav was dropped by the accident when petacchi took his second stage..

i think boonen is going for a career in missing the biggest race by sticking your face in a bowl of charlie
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Hurrah! Another Brit win, another Cav win..........whatever. Let's just savour these moments.

Can't make up my mind whether it's a good or bad thing that party boy Tom is excluded from the Tour. Don't think he'd hold a match to Cav in a bunch sprint though.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    camerone wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    camerone wrote:

petacchi got him fair and square in the first sprint, cav was dropped by the accident when petacchi took his second stage..

i think boonen is going for a career in missing the biggest race by sticking your face in a bowl of charlie

Boonen said in the 2006 tour he'd still much rather win a big classic or a world than the green Jersey. He's always been a classics man, ever since the day he first hit headlines in Paris Roubaix 2002. It just so happens he can produce so much power he could also sprint.

He's not a sprinter....He can sprint.

Cippo made a good point in this months procycling. Cavendish's jump is completely unrivalled and he can make two in any sprint. However, if you set up a mega saeco train like Cippo had, that jump is negated, since you can't really jump from 70kph. That's how Petacchi, a big speed sprinter, beat Cavendish in that first sprint, and why Cavendish does better as the GTs go on, as the arrival speed of the peleton slows down.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • RichN95.
    teagar wrote:
    Cippo made a good point in this months procycling. Cavendish's jump is completely unrivalled and he can make two in any sprint. However, if you set up a mega saeco train like Cippo had, that jump is negated, since you can't really jump from 70kph. That's how Petacchi, a big speed sprinter, beat Cavendish in that first sprint, and why Cavendish does better as the GTs go on, as the arrival speed of the peloton slows down.

The problem with that is the only team that looks capable of putting that sort of train together is Columbia
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I thought Petacchi got one over on Cav by going from a long way out, as opposed to having a big train in front of him?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    DaveyL wrote:
    I thought Petacchi got one over on Cav by going from a long way out, as opposed to having a big train in front of him?

Indeed, he went earlier than anticipated and Cav reacted late, that was all.
  • camerone
    RichN95 wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Cippo made a good point in this months procycling. Cavendish's jump is completely unrivalled and he can make two in any sprint. However, if you set up a mega saeco train like Cippo had, that jump is negated, since you can't really jump from 70kph. That's how Petacchi, a big speed sprinter, beat Cavendish in that first sprint, and why Cavendish does better as the GTs go on, as the arrival speed of the peloton slows down.

The problem with that is the only team that looks capable of putting that sort of train together is Columbia

the only other one i have seen this season is cervelo in the 1st stage of california i think, hushovd won it. cippo talks about himself i the 3rd person by the looks of that article which is really pretentious. isuppose 42 giro stages buys you abit of del boy
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Tusher wrote:

Can't make up my mind whether it's a good or bad thing that party boy Tom is excluded from the Tour. Don't think he'd hold a match to Cav in a bunch sprint though.

More the merrier - for the spectators :D
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    RichN95 wrote:
    teagar wrote:

a lot of it is belief...

cervelo did it early season
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Let's hope he isn't using them all up before next month.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Apparently, Cav is now equal to Chris Boardman in career wins (41) making them equal most sucessful British Pro Cyclists. Just one more win needed then Bingo........... 8)

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... nners.html
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Bronzie wrote:
    Apparently, Cav is now equal to Chris Boardman in career wins (41) making them equal most sucessful British Pro Cyclists. Just one more win needed then Bingo........... 8)

You do realise that if that happens, Bob Stapleton is likely to be be using the word "winningest" quite often? That is a terrible price to pay.........
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    I can't believe he's reached 42 already!!! LA's got about 80 for his career, and then McEwen, Petacchi et al are around the 150s or so.
  • RichN95.
    Bronzie wrote:

I'm surprised Barry Hoban only had 24 wins - they were mostly quite big ones though.