TLI Oulton Park races

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited August 2009 in Amateur race
Looking into if any eol starts available for next Tuesday evening set of races..
£13 a bit steep I suppose.. but whats the prize money like for first 4 over the line.. not that I hoping or anything... :? over 50 group btw
anything else, I should be aware of....?

Comments

• apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    Hi

Cant recall what the prize money is - never been a issue for me (too far behind !!!) - there are about 120 riders and plenty of EOL available.

Standard is mixed - lots of novices been two crashes in two week.

This week was better as they started two groups at 1 min interval U40 and O40 - the pace was a lot smoother with non of the mad breaking before corners (its a nice wide shell gripped circuit so no need to break anywhere!!!)

The past two weeks the 12laps have been covered in approx 1hr 10 / 11mins giing an average for the 32.4 mile of approx 27mph - nearly always end up in a sprint as average speed too high for a breakaway.

Hope this OK

Martin
  • jgsi
    cheers for that....
    not that I am havin 2 nd thoughts but the thought of crashin' hadnt xssed my mind I have to admit...
    The ave is quick. ... esp ... harkin back to my own track day days on GSXR Suzukis.. the drag up Clay HIll and the ramp up Deers Leep I would consider a bit punishing..?

well if I do screw up the 'courage'
  • Hi

Can anyone give me more info about these races?
    Can anyone turn up?
    If so how often are they held?
    What time do they start?
    Or who do I need to contact to get info?

Any info would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

Steve.
  • jgsi
    Have a look on the website for race info dates times

I know as much as yourself.. but have been informed that there are places for entry on line at Oulton.. just need to get there in good time to register, pay etc
    http://www.theleagueinternational.com/
  • Cheers for the website link - I have e e-mailed the organisor and if I get any more information I will post it on here.

Ta
  • mcrdave
    mcrdave Posts: 501
    Yep, 2 crashes in two weeks, I was in the first one!

2 chipped teeth and a fractured kneecap for my troubles. I haven't been racing long (just one season) but i have been riding for many years now, in club rides, large packs and on my own. In all this time, I've never had one incident.

The TLI at Oulton Park because of the unique nature of, ie on a race track with a billiard smooth surface, results in a lot of twitchy riders who are not used the that level of responsiveness from the bike, which then results in lots of wheels touches, then inevtiably a crash. I was four back from the front at the time and a Macc Wheelers rider just fell directly in front of me in a split second and I had nowhere to go but down.

I came to watch this Tues and was told by a mate that there was another crash that nearly took him out on the last lap, again, same circumstances.

Bit gutted, am off the bike for 6 weeks apparently (although it's now down to just over 4). I'm dying to get back out there and I will do the TLI's again although I might just do the road circuit for a while before attempting the Oulton Park demolition derby again!
  • apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    mcrdave - I just missed you then - you were covered in blood - hope you are ok now :shock:

jgsi - the races are anti-clockwise so just the drag up to Foulstons chicane and up from cascades to negotiate - at least its down clay hill. I used to blast round on my Mille on trackdays - very different going the opposite way !!!! :lol:
  • jgsi
    mcrdave - I just missed you then - you were covered in blood - hope you are ok now :shock:

jgsi - the races are anti-clockwise so just the drag up to Foulstons chicane and up from cascades to negotiate - at least its down clay hill. I used to blast round on my Mille on trackdays - very different going the opposite way !!!! :lol:

I dunno which is the best news.. 'wrong way round' or me nashers at risk...or worse.. :shock: :D
    anyways have decided to go for it.... 8)
  • mcrdave
    Aprillia,

Yep am fine now, well on the way to being 'mended'. Hoping to be back in a couple of week. Glad you missed me then or that might not have been the case at 30mph +!
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    mcrdave wrote:
    Yep, 2 crashes in two weeks, I was in the first one!

2 chipped teeth and a fractured kneecap for my troubles. I haven't been racing long (just one season) but i have been riding for many years now, in club rides, large packs and on my own. In all this time, I've never had one incident.

The TLI at Oulton Park because of the unique nature of, ie on a race track with a billiard smooth surface, results in a lot of twitchy riders who are not used the that level of responsiveness from the bike, which then results in lots of wheels touches, then inevtiably a crash. I was four back from the front at the time and a Macc Wheelers rider just fell directly in front of me in a split second and I had nowhere to go but down.

I came to watch this Tues and was told by a mate that there was another crash that nearly took him out on the last lap, again, same circumstances.

Bit gutted, am off the bike for 6 weeks apparently (although it's now down to just over 4). I'm dying to get back out there and I will do the TLI's again although I might just do the road circuit for a while before attempting the Oulton Park demolition derby again!

Mcrdave, So sorry mate. I was the Macc Wheeler you couldn't avoid. A switch, touch of wheels and that was it. Boom. I was a bit more fortunate and had just bruises and lots of road rash. Sorry to hear you are off the bike for that long, I am truly gutted for you. I really hope you have a speedy recovery and are back racing soon.

I managed to race again last week and it was exactly the same, that crash on the last lap almost had me too. Even though they split the under and over 40's, it didn't help to stop the switching and twitchiness, in fact I would say it was worse last week. I am not sure it is just because of all the new riders, all TLI events tend to have a lot of NOOBS, the problem is when you put them all together in a pack of 100 with no other traffic and it becomes a free for all. Public road races are limited in the number of participants so you don't get the mass fight for a decent position or switching going on that seems to happen at Oulton Park.

Good luck with the recovery. I hope you are back on the road soon.
  • mcrdave
    lfcquin,

Absolutely no problem mate. Don't worry about it, wrong place, wrong time, could have happened to anyone.

Been quite a fun time being off work so far. Have managed to get so many jobs done that have been put off, the novelty hasn't worn off yet!

Thanks for coming on and getting intouch though and good luck if you're at Oulton tomorrow, I might come along with the Surosa cycles gang and watch.

cheers
    Dave
  • lfcquin
    mcrdave wrote:
    lfcquin,

Absolutely no problem mate. Don't worry about it, wrong place, wrong time, could have happened to anyone.

Been quite a fun time being off work so far. Have managed to get so many jobs done that have been put off, the novelty hasn't worn off yet!

Thanks for coming on and getting intouch though and good luck if you're at Oulton tomorrow, I might come along with the Surosa cycles gang and watch.

cheers
    Dave

Hi Dave, glad that you have put the time to good use. I'm still gutted though, I know you would prefer to be riding ('cos I would!). The plan is to ride tomorrow as long as I get out of work on time. Might see you down there if you make it.

Let me know when you are back on the bike.

Chris
  • mcrdave
    Hey all,

As promised, I thought I'd let you know I'm back on my bike. It's been 6 long weeks in the cast but am 'mended' and can walk and even managed 15 miles on the bike last Saturday. It was tough though and it's going to be a long time before I'm back up to race pace but I'll get there so Chris, watch out! Hehe.

cheers
    Dave
  • lfcquin
    mcrdave wrote:
    Hey all,

As promised, I thought I'd let you know I'm back on my bike. It's been 6 long weeks in the cast but am 'mended' and can walk and even managed 15 miles on the bike last Saturday. It was tough though and it's going to be a long time before I'm back up to race pace but I'll get there so Chris, watch out! Hehe.

cheers
    Dave

Hi Dave, glad to hear it. The form will return in no time! NapoleonD broke his leg earlier this year and after only a month or two of riding set a PB in our club 10! Keep up the good work! Chris.