Rocky Mountain? What are they like?

wrx
wrx Posts: 27
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hey guys - first post.....newbie here.

Quite new to the sport, used to BMX in the woods when I was a kid, now 33 need to get fit and lose the beer gut. Borrowed by brothers old Claud Butler for a while and loved it.

I have my eye on a Rocky Mountain Vertex 10. Guy in the shop obviously rated it highly, but I dont see too many reviews online.

Any comments on RM bikes?

Cheers!

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Hand built, hand painted and VERY expensive for what they are. They're generally good bikes but vastly over-priced for what they are.

There's definitely better value out there.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • wrx
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the reply......

Hand built and hand painted - sounds good to me.

Its through the cycle scheme, and after trying a Gary Fisher hoo koo e koo, and a Kona Cinder Cone and then Caldera, the RM seemed to be really nice, almost "the one".

Problem was the LBS with the Caldera were a bit pants in the service with a smile department and generally seemed to not give a hoot, whereas the LBS with the RM were great, great service, good test of the bike outside etc and had loads of time for my stupid newbie questions.

It is discounted by £100 - at least thats something.
  • wrx
    Anyone else have an opinion on Rocky Mountain bikes?

Interested to hear comments, if you've owned or tried them out.

Thanks......
  • I love my Element 70, handles like a dream.
    Yes, they are comparatively expensive - but you do get a 5 year frame guarantee. The quality of the welding/tubing/painting means that Rocky stand by their products.
    Shop around, there are good deals out there.

Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • wrx
    Hey thanks for the reply - Nice Bike !

I have decided on the bike, as I said, £100 off, and having tested it out I really like it. So going to pick it up tomorrow.

I notice your'e from Reading - me too!
    Do you know of any good trails nearby?
    Shame RATs club stopped, their old trail is less than a mile away from me, shame it closed down.

Everything seems to be up north or in Wales.

For now anyway I need to get fit and hack round the woods nearby to build up first.

Cheers.
  • Hi Wrx,
    Are you getting the bike from Mountain High, Pangbourne per chance?? I ride with the shop 2-3 times per week. Get in touch with them, and they'll put you on the mailing list for info on their organised rides.
    There is some really good riding to be had on our doorstep, just gotta know where it is :wink:

Brad
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
  • wrx
    You guessed correct !

Yep Mountain High, I picked up the bike on Saturday - love it!

I have to build up some stamina first, but yes, will be in touch with the guys down there at somepoint soon regarding rides.

What sort of milage do you guys rack up on a ride? So I know when I am able to cut it.

Yeah I used to ride horses (flame suit on) so know loads of bridle ways round Checkendon and Woodcote / Goring.

Thanks again for the reply, appreciated.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Get down to Swinley Forest, Bracknell (The Lookout). Not too far from Reading (it's over an hour from where I live and I still go twice a week :) ). Awesome singletrack, man made trails, berms, tabletops.....
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    wrx wrote:
    the LBS with the RM were great, great service, good test of the bike outside etc and had loads of time for my stupid newbie questions.

It is discounted by £100 - at least thats something.

Got here a bit too late, but sounds like you did all the right things :lol:

Big fan of RM, hope you enjoy it!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • stayhigh65
    stayhigh65 Posts: 611
    I have a 2005 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50. The frame is fantastically well built and even though it maybe 4 years old and not the most "cutting edge" design out there. The ride is great, both on my local trails and adventures to north wales with no complaints at all.

Last year I nearly brought another bike but in the end decided to get my Slayer repsrayed and repaced the componentry for a custom build which is still my main ride today.
    Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    They are really nice & have been making bikes for a long time so they know what they are doing.
    I nearly bought the Scandium Team frame in 2004 as they were a lot rarer than they are today, only thing that ended up stopping me was the £1000 price tag. I still drool over the new Vertex carbon now, has to be the nicest looking XC race HT frame out imo.
  • wrx
    Thanks for the replies guys. This seems like a cool forum!

Gotta say I am loving the bike - did 6 miles with the wife on her new Trek last night, a lot of uphill, was such a nice evening for it though.

Heres a pic, I have to keep looking at it to help me get through my day at work!

DSCN3607.jpg
  • HI Wrx,
    The Saturday ride is the best to start out on -this is around 2 1/2 hours of actual riding (perhaps 15-20 miles), but there are frequent stops. Saturday's pace is at the speed of the slowest rider.
    I also ride Tuesday (approx 25m, reasonably fast), and Thursday (anything from 30-50 miles, and fast paced).
    Maybe see you out soon! Group rides are so much more fun!!

Brad
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
  • wrx
    Thanks Brad,

I think in a few weeks time I will go for the Sunday ride. Defo want to get out there with the guys from Mountain high, thanks again for the info.

I actually started a blog on my trips so far.....more for myself than anything ese, as a method of tracking my progress. I hope to try an epic ride one weekend soon to see how far I can actually go.

http://getupthathill.wordpress.com/

Cheers.......
    :)