New to racing in UK (London)

surista
surista Posts: 141
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
Hi all; somewhat new cyclist here - also new to London. I recently relocated from Japan - downtown Tokyo - where proper road cycling isn't all that popular, and anyway you wouldn't want to bike in Tokyo in any event.

I'm 41yrs old, in so-so shape: 10K TT time on a Computrainer about 30min, and 5K in about 30min or so (I'm not a fan of running but I'm training for the JPMorgan 5K run next month).

I did one or two beginner races when I was in NY several years ago, very much enjoyed it, but moved in 2007 (to Tokyo) and haven't done much of anything since.

I'm now fully situationed after the move from Tokyo to London (Finchley area), and am getting back into riding. I'm also thinking that maybe I'd like to get into racing again - but at 41yrs old, I'm worried that I'm just delusional. Any advice, anyone?

I'd first like to find a club that is both friendly/sociable, but also a bit competitive at times. Can anyone recommend some clubs in the London area to look into? Northern London preferred, since that's where I live, but I don't mind driving out a bit if needed.

And, if anyone could give me some advice on beginner road racing in London, that would also be great. Thanks in advance!

S&H

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"
http://blue-eyed-samurai.com/cycling/

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Hello and welcome,
    As a starter, have a look at this site. A good place for training and racing. In the 'Contacts' on the home page you will also find a long list of clubs and their websites.
    http://www.hillingdoncyclecircuit.org.uk/
    I'm sure others will be along soon who can give you more specific info. If you like the look of one of the clubs shown then post it up and there will probably be a member on here somewhere to advise you.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Hi Surista, 2 things I think 41 years is not too old, there are plenty older racing or doing TTs. But the next thing is your times for 10k TT in 30min is this for cycling? This translates as 12.4miles per hour (not sure what you mean by then saying 5k in 30min as well?). For racing you would need to get this speed up a good bit, so best join a club get some training in and then race.
  • surista
    Aggieboy, kieranb - txs for the replies! Sorry for the mix-up - that 30min time is for a *10 mile* TT. Granted, it was on on my Computrainer, and the course is pancake-flat, but it is a slightly more respectable 20mph. The 5K/30min is running, not cycling. As I noted, I'm not a big fan of running (all to obvious from my non-runner physique...) and am only running because one of my team members is on the Sports & Social club at work handling the JPMorgan 5K run next month...

Aggieboy, txs for the link! That looks like a good place to start out.

• Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Try the Finchley RT.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    surista wrote:
    Aggieboy, kieranb - txs for the replies! Sorry for the mix-up - that 30min time is for a *10 mile* TT. Granted, it was on on my Computrainer, and the course is pancake-flat, but it is a slightly more respectable 20mph. The 5K/30min is running, not cycling. As I noted, I'm not a big fan of running (all to obvious from my non-runner physique...) and am only running because one of my team members is on the Sports & Social club at work handling the JPMorgan 5K run next month...

Aggieboy, txs for the link! That looks like a good place to start out.
    if you do a genuine 4th cat race on a flattish circuit you should just about be ok with the pace of the bunch. However if your bunch riding skill are poor, you can't change speed quickly when necessary, you're unfamiliar with racing lines etc you'll probably get dropped. oh and there's no shame in that. :D Its happened to us all
  • surista
    Toks, txs for the reply. I'm fully expecting to get dropped like a bad habit the first time or two (hard to be disappointed if you have zero expectations, right?). I'm hoping to do a couple of races this summer (looking at some of the Heron Go-Race events and some at Hog Hill; others have also mentioned Hillingdon?), get some good work in over the winter, and try for earnest next season.

I'm also obviously a bit worried about bunch riding skill - obviously mine and of others around me; hey I gotta go to work in the mornings. Am starting to do some club rides to get a bit more practice in, but that doesn't quite replicate the mass confusion of a beginner's race, I suppose...

FWIW, it looks like my FTP is around 180wt. I guess it isn't that bad given I haven't done hardly any exercise since summer 2006. I rather depressed myself when I saw that my best effort in June 2006 was around 250wt over 20min, but over the past six weeks it was just under 190. (all figures from my Computrainer).