Mountain biking in Sweden and around

bomberesque
bomberesque Posts: 1,701
edited June 2009 in Routes
Mrs B and I are off to Sweden next month. We're doing some easy going road touring in the South and then going mountain biking for about a week.

The road touring is sorted, routes seem well thought out and marked. For the mountinbiking, what would folks recommend? we'll have an Evil Sovereign and a Yeti 575 so we can pretty much manage anything short of WC DH courses and big jumps (and those constraints are more to do with our skill level than the bikes, frankly :oops: ) We are happy to ride a ski resort (like Morzine) or mountainous XC riding (like the Pyrennes) or indeed foresty type stuff

We'll have a car so we can travel between spots easy enough and are not restricted just to Sweden, but we'll be on the Scandinavian penninsula. We're taking camping kit so flexible on accommodation.

any suggestions for rides and places to go?

Ta
Everything in moderation ... except beer
Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
... or being punched by it, depending on the day

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Åre, Gesunda are the main lift assisted places,

then there is Hafjell in Norway.

but a lot depends on where you are and for how long you want to drive.

for me Gesunda is a 4 and a bit hour drive Åre 9 and a bit. Hafjell not driven there yet :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Ah, was hoping you'd answer Nick, wasn't sure if your location data was current or not :)

Distance to drive isn't (much) of a concern, we'll either pick a place and stay there for a week or stay in one for 3 days then move to a second. We'll be in Sweeden / Norway for about 3 weeks all in, probably 1 week touring the South, 1 week mountain biking and 1 week driving to the Fjords / sightseeing although that is flexible depending on how the biking goes (although I'm sure we will go to the Fjords for at least a day, I want to see what Slaartibartfast won that award for :wink: ).

Are is in our guide book and I've seen some footage on teh telle. Both suggested that this is a bit on the "slopestyle Dude" end of the spectrum. Is there a decent range of trails there? I suppose what we'd ideally be looking for is something with lift assisted stuff and some DH trails but with a decent selection of XC trails, a sort of mini-morzine (sans chavs)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    all the trails are doable on an Apollo if you had too.

Åre also has other interest freatures/activities zip lines/canoeing etc etc
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown