Collywobbles....

SpinningJenny
SpinningJenny Posts: 889
edited June 2009 in Women
I received my rider's info pack from Capital to Coast last night, along with my fab cycling top with super cool logo and date on it....

I am now officially worried. Labels to stick on bike, helmet, shirt, many reminders to collect wristband at start, checklists....

Although, the thing that is worrying me most is that the toughest climb is right near the end, up to Devil's Dyke :shock:

I sense a 'get off and push' moment on the horizon :D

Still, the views will be lovely from the top AND its basically a freewheel all the way home :wink:

Any advice from anyone about long-distance cycling? I will of course take advantage of all refreshment stops, wee stops and mechanical support necessary.

I may also use one of these in case I get 'caught short' :lol:

http://www.shewee.com/
Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08

Comments

• elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Noooooo to the Shewee!
    Shewee baaaaaad!

You've just gotta go as you ride, like the rest of us do...

Nice & steady (I'm talking about the ride now) and you'll be fine, try to save some energy for the last climb, but try not to focus on it - just enjoy the views & the company & the warm feeling inside (your shorts).

By the time you reach the climb, your euphoria at nearing the end will carry you over as if on wings anyway!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Have you done any training with in ride fuelling?

Gels or drinks or anything? Don't leave it until the day, for the love of pete :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • elPedro666
    Oooh - and eat! Just eat and eat and eat - really make the most of a whole day of constant, guilt-free eating, ace! Obviously you already know to drink, but eat & be merry too!

munch munch munch munch munch
    Brilliant!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • funny old elPedro :D

no, i won't take the shewee, i was just wondering what the reaction would be :wink:

i *have* done in-ride fuelling training, so i think i'll be fine. i've sussed out that me and bananas really don't mix well on a bike if i'm on a long ride - my tummy protests and then it all gets ugly, if you know what i mean...

flapjacks good, 'ride' bars of the peanut variety good, the chocolate ones - meh, too sickly!

gels - not good. i think i must have tried them all, and i reckon it's the 'mouth-feel' that makes me want to gip. i'm not a fussy eater at all, but they just don't feel right.

jelly babies on the other hand - man i love to rip those heads off!

it was more the pacing ideas, really. reckon the nice and steady advice is good for me!

roll on 28th.... :shock: :D:wink:

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    More shewee fun :shock:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... ght=shewee

scroll down to the photo :roll:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Ditch Witch
    The photo hosting site is blocked at work so will check it out when I get home :lol:

I learned about Jelly Babies as fuel on the Dirt Divas day. Amazing but a couple of those bad boys will put a hitch in your giddy-up alright.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • hehehe :lol:

DW - please tell me that you've had jelly babies before though?

hitch in your giddy-up - gotta love it!

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    With regards to the beacon. If you're with a large group of slow(er) riders then it will be a case of feet on road and not pedals. It all depends on the people around you.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    stumpyjon wrote:
    More shewee fun :shock:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... ght=shewee

scroll down to the photo :roll:
    jojojojo wrote:
    I've been baring my bottom and widdling outside since I stopped widdling in a nappy. Find a bush and get on with it.

I tried the 'sheewee' at the world champs in Fort William. They take practise, which unfortunately I hadn't had....
    1362498058_a26f42a693.jpg

That made me chuckle. Never seen a woman who has peed her pants before lol
    Is she still on this forum? She seems like fun :D
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • SleepyLea
    SleepyLea Posts: 127
    :oops: Oh Jesus... I had the EXACT same problem when I attempted this at a festival for the first and last time... not good, not good at all!!!
  • Si78 wrote:

That made me chuckle. Never seen a woman who has peed her pants before lol
    Is she still on this forum? She seems like fun :D

You've not lived, Si - did you not go to university?! I could tell you about the time when I laughed so much that something a little less errr, obvious happened, I slipped off a bed and landed bum first on top of a pint glass. Luckily, it didn't break and next day I had a ring-shaped bruise on my right cheek :lol::lol:

SleepyLea - see now, one of my friends used one of these at last year's Pride festival in Brighton, with complete success! But she is a bit weird.... :wink:

• Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    You've not lived, Si - did you not go to university?! I could tell you about the time when I laughed so much that something a little less errr, obvious happened, I slipped off a bed and landed bum first on top of a pint glass. Luckily, it didn't break and next day I had a ring-shaped bruise on my right cheek :lol::lol:

Nah, unfortunately I didnt have the option of going to uni. Couldn't afford to, had to go out and get a job. Long story... :cry:

Good job the glass didn't break, otherwise you would have ended up with another hole in your bum. :D Would have hurt soooo much too! :shock:

Oh, and good luck on the capital to coast ride, im sure you will be fine, and absolutely love it! Bananas are the key...Great energy food, get 'em down ya! :wink:
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Ditch Witch
    Jen, yes I've had Jelly Babies before but never been a fan, particularly, but there's a big firmly nestled in my rucksack for riding days ;)
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Si78 wrote:

Nah, unfortunately I didnt have the option of going to uni. Couldn't afford to, had to go out and get a job. Long story... :cry:

Good job the glass didn't break, otherwise you would have ended up with another hole in your bum. :D Would have hurt soooo much too! :shock:

Oh, and good luck on the capital to coast ride, im sure you will be fine, and absolutely love it! Bananas are the key...Great energy food, get 'em down ya! :wink:

Sorry about the uni thing - I only got in because of a twist of fate - they were still giving out grants back in the day (yes, I am old!) and it was means tested on my mum's income (nil) rather than my step-dad's, because he didn't adopt me and was therefore not legally responsible for me (apparently). Otherwise, there wouldn't have been enough money for me to go....

Yup - lucky about the pint glass. Imagine explaining that one in the hospital :D

Thanks for the good luck - fingers crossed!

• elPedro666
    Girl I went to Glastonbury with a few years back turned up with a big, empty water bottle & a funnel. And most worryingly, her sister - sans individual funnel...

The idea of the two of them, drunk (obviously), in a tiny, dark tent in the middle of the night, with just one funnel... :shock:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • SleepyLea
    SleepyLea Posts: 127
    A Funnel?! When at festival, and cant be bothered/able to get to the loos, have a giant water bottle (the 5ltr type), cut the top off and ta da, your own loo... just remember where your friends tents are when you "dispose" of the contents, only recomended for number ones, twosies are ONLY for the loos.

Oooh and Jenny, our she wees were a flimsy cardboard type thing... not a good idea!!!!
  • this is all turning rather ooky....

• elPedro666
    The funnel's so you don't have to cut the top off, then you can seal it back up safely. That way a 5lt bottle should last most of the festival and you can avoid any nasty incidents in the tent...

Anyway, back to the matter in hand... I think it's today(?), so good luck Jenny! Or as you've probably already left, congratulations!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • Thank you elPedro - but it's not the London to Brighton - which is today coz I was woken up this morning by them putting the cones outside to cordon off the cycling lane in the road and later I'll be seeing the guys and gals whizzing past my lounge window - I'm doing Capital to Coast next Sunday. Same type of distance, but less participants....

I'll save your wishes for next week :D

• elPedro666
    I thought it was odd; figured maybe they'd changed the name :oops:

What the hell are you doing up then?!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • Ditch Witch
    Mark was saying there's a london to brighton that's all off road. Must get the details...
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • elPedro - no problem :D why was I up - well, as the route goes right past the front of our home, they put out traffic cones at the crack of sparrows to cordon off the road - it woke me up! and i am an early riser anyway!

DW - yes there is, run by the BHF - here's the link...

http://www.bhf.org.uk/events_and_volunteering/events/event_finder/view_event.aspx?ps=1000369

• Ditch Witch
    Mmmmmmmmmm, how about we do it next year?? :D

I'm thinking one of the shorter distances obviously :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • oooohhhh...... yes!

can just imagine the *enthusiasm* that this news will be greeted with when i get home tonight... :wink:

she's convinced i'm trying to kill myself!

• Ditch Witch
    :lol: Let me guess, she just stares at you for a second, mouth slightly agape, then tuts and rolls her eyes with a gentle shake of the head?

:lol:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • :shock: have you been round for a cup of tea with her?

yes, that's pretty much the look and feel of it :D

she's actually secretly very impressed (or that's what i tell her/myself)

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    :lol: Let me guess, she just stares at you for a second, mouth slightly agape, then tuts and rolls her eyes with a gentle shake of the head?

unless you are really unlucky...then you get the folding of the arms...the tapping of the feet....and the pursing of the lips...enough to send shivers down yer spine. wailywailywaily

sorry...terry pratchet moment.

:wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Ditch Witch
    Mark rarely, if ever, outwardly shows his disdain :lol: which has the unpleasant side effect of paranoia whenever I do something I think he'd not approve of :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • OMG - that sounds very, very familiar

• :lol: Let me guess, she just stares at you for a second, mouth slightly agape, then tuts and rolls her eyes with a gentle shake of the head?

btw DW - you were spot on.

that's pretty much what she did! but she definitely had a cheesy grin in there somewhere. i *think* she knew that kind of thing was on the cards, dammit!

is there nothing she dones't know any more.... :shock: