Front derai...derei...deralie... Front gear changing thingy

Deadeye Duck
Deadeye Duck Posts: 419
edited June 2009 in The workshop
Dear fettlers,

When dropping into my two lowest super spinny gears, they rub on the front der... thingy.
Reading the manual i have a trim funtion on my gears but it only seams to work on going the other way. How do i stop it from sounding like a wind-up toy every time I'm climbing a hill that resembles K2.
Schwinn Fastback Comp : FCN 5
The Flying Scot : FCN 515q6cuv.png
My Life, My Bike & My Xbox

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    No expert meself but learning. Caveat over.

Don't you adjust the lower adjustment screwy thing on the front der so that the chain can pass the cage freely when you are in your lowest gear.

So check the docs for your front mech and turn the adjustment screw whatever direction it says so that the cage's maximum range of movement towards the bike frame is greater?

Here's what I mean for 105....

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 612176.pdf

but guess yours will be similar.

Look at the SIS adjustment diagram and the low adjustment screw movement B. I think that's what you need! Go easy so you can put it back! Only 1/8 of a turn at a time - ok?

Someone more expert will be along shortly.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    first thing you need to work out is which side of the cage is rubbing.

at a guess it will be the out board side which will mean that the cable will have streached and you will need to add a bit of tension to the cable.

you should have a couple of spinning things on the down tube turning these will change the tension. unscrewing them wiii add tension screing them in will reduce tension.

so follow the cable from the shifter to the adjuster and adjust a little bit at a time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Deadeye Duck
    Deadeye Duck Posts: 419
    FIrst off I'd like to thank you two for the laymans terms replys :lol:

I actually have a 105 mech so I'll try both untill I get it sorted.

Cheers.
    Schwinn Fastback Comp : FCN 5
    The Flying Scot : FCN 515q6cuv.png
    My Life, My Bike & My Xbox