Boardman Team Carbon - should I get this for long distance

2005newland
2005newland Posts: 7
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Have access to Biketowork Scheme though my employer who has chosen Halfords. Bikes I am looking at are the Dolan Mythos 105 and the Boardman Team Carbon. My quesiton is - which would be better for distance riding as I am taking part in a 100M ride late in August. I currently have a (low spec) hybrid I have been training on - but would like a better bike as I am enjoying being on the road on 2 wheels so much!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Seeing as the team carbon is used for road races that are over 100 miles in length - it would be fine for your needs.

I guess the Dolan would too though ?
  • Great - thought this was worth checking before I commit.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Still quite racy geometry though :? How flexible are you, and how old? Might make a difference. Is it possible to test ride one?
  • I am 47 and reasonably flexible - but certainly not a gymnast. I find my current hybrid ride very confortable but get frustrated when I feel the need to "drop" lower for speed and simply can't get low. However, the last thing I need is a bike I am going to end up feeling completly uncomforatlbe on for long rides. My aim is to do the distance in a good time (for myself) and look to do another could of 100-150 rides in September.
  • Given the comment re the "sporty" design of the Boardman - am I setting myself up for pain when I should be looking at less agressive bike?
  • 2tired2ride
    2tired2ride Posts: 285
    I'm doing a 100 mile ride in september on my Boardman Team and the training long distance has been fine. It is quite a leant forward racy position and a total different postion to my hybrid. You will get used to the postion but I would try to get the bike quite soon so you can get used to the postion.
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Just mentioned it because i've ridden my work-mates Sirrus and compared to my road bikes it's like an arm chair :shock:
    Have you ridden a road bike before, that will give you a fair idea of the difference even if it's not the boardman, great bikes by all accounts and there's a certain amount of adjustment but just didn't want you to buy it then realise it was a night-mare.
    Judging from what you say it will be fine but still better to try and test if you can......

Another point though is that quite a bit of time 'til September so if you pack in the miles you should be used to it by then.... :)
  • The main problem is the test ride as there is no actual stock of the bike available locally at present. However, I did get "fitted" in store re frame size as they had a bike in my "fit" ready for customer collection so I was to try in store but for obvious reasons could not test ride a bike that was paid for by someone else.
    My only other concern is the timing issue - as Boardman bikes do seem to be in short supply and getting one in time to allow me to build up miles might prove to be an issue. Has anyone had any recent experience of lead times on ordering a Boradman Team Carbon?