Time for something a bit different...

ratty2k
ratty2k Posts: 3,872
edited June 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Singular Swift 29er, eccentric BB, hub gears, faux Jones bar, Shimano Alfine hub gear... Pics on its maiden ride on the Marin trail yesterday, feck me its brilliant, very different to ride being rigid. But big fun, and makes you think a lot more about line choice rather than the smash through it I do on my Reign...

3632760198_137d07285a_b.jpg

3631947545_5b5a74ddbd_b.jpg

3631950333_23fbca8c93_b.jpg
My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
I talk to him everyday....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    needs a brooks saddle on it and dont you find the brakes cause the fork to flex just a bit?

but Sweet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ratty2k
    Yer, bit of fore and af flex in the fork... But not too bad, and I'm guessing it gives a more compliant ride like that... Brooks... Hmm, have thought of one, but the Spesh Avatar is comfy... :)
    My Pics !

• Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    Nice to see something a bit different. But what is up with those bars? Look like something you'd find on a town bike !!
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    them bars are fugly.

but i'm lovin the light blue frame colour with the darker anodised blue components, looks classy and sweet.

do the bars offer a comfy ride? the hand position looks like it would only offer sore wrists
    Fancy a brew?
  • ratty2k
    They are Titec H bars, made under licence from Jones in the USA. Very very comfy bars. Hands are in a more natural position, and with the shape they offer a little more compliance compared to a normal straight bar, the forward position I do use, when pootling along fire roads for example. I've tried a few bars- Salsa bars with 9 deg and 17 deg sweep back, normal straight bars with 5 deg or so, and these bars are brilliant, if a little different looking to the norm...
    The build was done with the 'classy look' in mind TBH- the look of a singlespeed bike, but with the advantage of gears (8 of 'em) and the way the frame is painted brings to mind the older style, sorta 50's/ 60's feel to it.
    My Pics !

• nicklouse
    ratty2k
    you know the badge on the front.

you know what it is made from.

Or was made from i dont know it it has changed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I love it! Very similar to what I have done, just with much better components and 29" wheels :P

Have you had any issues with the chain coming off the chainring? Mine is 1x9 and I have the chain jump off about 1-2 times a month with a standard Deore 32T chainring and a homemade bashring.

I have been thinking of turning mine into a 69er as my front fork will definatly take a 29" wheel, have you ridden a 26" rigid and if so; would you recommend a 29" up front?

P.S. back on subject; Love it! :D
  • ratty2k
    edited June 2009
    Nick, the badge is pewter, a silver one is available... (and I may just get one!)

Kiblams, no problems with the chain, but it is effectively a SS setup, so no real chain slack to speak of. You may want to look at running either and old front mech low over the chain. Screw the stops so as it cant move and that will stop it lifting off the front ring- similar to a chain device...
    Pic of drive side so as you can see my setup and how it differs from a mech'd 1x9...

3628561811_3330bfa38d_b.jpg

I haven't ridden a 26" rigid, but this is a lot smoother than I expected :) I do recommend a 29er wheel, but look at the rim widths, the tyres I'm running WTB Weirwolf's are 2.55" wide, and have a big air volume (lots of grip as well!) But its best to run a wide(ish) rim to get the volume up...

And thanks! :D

Just had to buy! Scotchbrite pads from Halfords, to think how much of that we had where I used to work! So, I have to move a spacer on the BB to get the chainline a little better (no issues but it needs doing) and while the crank is off, time to posh up the XT cranks. I would run the old XTR ones cut down for the single front ring- but they are too damn expensive even second hand! :x
    My Pics !

• nicklouse
    ratty2k wrote:
    Nick, the badge is pewter, a silver one is available... (and I may just get one!)

:wink:
  • ratty2k
    :) I aint sure yet, the standard one is pretty nice TBH... Might be a birthday pressie or sommat!! 8)
    My Pics !

• JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    Lovely, makes a nice difference between the majority of geared bikes on here!
  • ratty2k
    Oh, Nick... Brooks saddles, are they not susceptible to getting wet/ covered in muck? And how do you look after the leather? Bit concerned I could buy one and then find after a few wet rides its knackered?
    JxL, cheers! :)
    My Pics !

• nicklouse
    IIRC you feed it and it becomes waterproof. bit like cows.

I think Mikes was left outside for a few years and it came back fine.

Must get a better pic of his.
  • ratty2k
    :D OK I'm convinced. Yey! My matching Hope seatpost clamp just arrived! 8)
    My Pics !

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    ratty2k wrote:
    I haven't ridden a 26" rigid, but this is a lot smoother than I expected :) I do recommend a 29er wheel, but look at the rim widths, the tyres I'm running WTB Weirwolf's are 2.55" wide, and have a big air volume (lots of grip as well!) But its best to run a wide(ish) rim to get the volume up...

My current front wheel is a WTB Dissent 2.5 and the big volume has an amazing effect on the ride of the bike, so I would be looking to retain that if I went to 29" on the front.

Ah, I was trying to look closely at the picture in the OP and I was positive that I saw the chain alot lower suggesting a rear mech. I think I am fine with the chain coming off 1-2 times a month as it only ever falls inwards and I have my granny ring back on to catch it, means that it doesnt jam the chain or make me feel the need to stop quite so urgently.
  • ratty2k
    Yep, big vol is a must rigid. I'm still debating wider rims to get the best out of these tyres....
    My Pics !

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Defo different but cool 8) 8) ,
    do you no if those hope rotors would fit a Xt 4pot set up after sum for mine ,
    cheers
  • ratty2k
    Not a clue TBH, thickness shouldn't be an issue, but the bits where the rotor fastens to the ally carrier may foul your calliper?
    My Pics !

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Nice bike doode!

LOVE it!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • ratty2k
    Little different now, trimmed all the excess cables back so looks a bit neater now at the front...

Thanks for all the kind words! 8)
    My Pics !

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    lovely looking bike. I found out about the perregrine just after I bought my Roadrat last year. hmmmmm

as for the lines you take on your Reign, I wonder if you'll find what I did with riding rigid; that you start to be much more precise in your line choices on your sus bike aswell and that allows you to ride more agressive lines and faster. Worked for me!

and brookes saddles all the way. I have a b17 on my rat and it's so so comfy
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • ratty2k
    That was partly the plan, ride rigid, get quicker and even quicker on the susser... We shall see, getting on a bit now, officially middle aged! :? :lol:
    Been looking at the Peregrine as well... tis a lovely bike, but I'm expecting delivery of a 70's touring frame... Hoping to do it up, maybe not a full resto job but nice enough!
    My Pics !

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    ratty2k wrote:
    We shall see, getting on a bit now, officially middle aged!

someone (you...?) posted that middle age officially starts at 39 in the UK. By that measure I'm only 2 months off myself :shock:
    I plan on staving off old age with ever newer and more expensive bicycles :D
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day