Sorry Fixes, Fakengers etc etc

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited June 2009
    excuse my ignorance, but i didn't know there were so many groups and sub groups in cycling. When did we all have to fall under a particular category?

Since man first walked on the Earth and in fact even before Man (Humans) was Man and was some form of proto-human species we have always displayed a tribe mentality. It's instinctive.

It's social awareness and being forced to live/work/exist peacefully alongside people who are completely different why we are more accepting and don't resort to discrimination.

It's true of nearly all species....

Edit: Tribe mentality doesn't mean that its right or its OK. (I'm not trying to justify racism OK LiTs :wink: its not OK LiTs... )
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    petejuk wrote:
    excuse my ignorance, but i didn't know there were so many groups and sub groups in cycling. When did we all have to fall under a particular category?

Too even ask that question puts you in the worst possible category. :shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edhornby wrote:
    alley cat racing is getting more popular (there's a few of them starting up in manchester, in the evening)

You mean to tell me people are meeting up to race on their cool looking bikes like a scene in Fast and Furious!!!?

:shock:

Awesome!!! Where!? How can I find out!?

Now to buy me a 10 second bike!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    petejuk wrote:
    When did we all have to fall under a particular category?

Splitter.

I feel no need to conform to any group or more (moor-ay dead clever me).

Apart from the small bike socks - which I think may just be a cm too long.
    And the bib shorts - which are just for comfort.

My new Shiny Phil Woods Hubs are just functional.

Mud Guards are a real dead weight.

It's not getting dark until late so why have "heavy" lights still attached to bike?

Also my gearing is just right for me and not at all towards to the upper end of normal - me=nails

My little bike cap is just to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

I take no pleasure at all in my emerging summer bike tan, arms, knees down and back of neck.

I'm not a member of any clique of sub group, nor do I have strong views on any other rider.

But honestly what is it with flat bars? What are they thinking?

First against the wall come the revo-lution (GET IT - REVOLUTION!?)
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    edhornby wrote:
    alley cat racing is getting more popular (there's a few of them starting up in manchester, in the evening)

You mean to tell me people are meeting up to race on their cool looking bikes like a scene in Fast and Furious!!!?

:shock:

Awesome!!! Where!? How can I find out!?

Yeah Dude - I'm gonna get me some NOS and inject in in my a s s !!!

LOL

google alleycat racing, probably find stuff on lfgss
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Lol!! Where can I get a nitrous kit for a bicycle?!

Edit - bugger! Pipped at the post!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    edhornby wrote:
    I think the reason why fixed gear riders tend to take risks is that 1) the trend is to ride them with no brakes and perform skid stops when needed

I don't think this is the trend, though (in London anyway). I do make a habit of checking fixie riders have at least one brake and I've only seen one guy in recent weeks dumb enough to ride brakeless. I'm sure loads of them go and practice skid stops after work or whatever but there's not a lot of it in Soho!
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Yeah Dude - I'm gonna get me some NOS and inject in in my a s s !!!

Presume that means people will laugh when you fart? :)
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    infortunately the bike shop near my office that do fixed gears, second hand repairs etc - they build fixed and advocate brakeless... their rationale is that brakeless makes you more aware and you plan ahead better :roll:

not going to name and shame them as they are a decent bunch of guys otherwise but I do think they are wrong on this point of view

meh, their choice
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    edhornby wrote:
    infortunately the bike shop near my office that do fixed gears, second hand repairs etc - they build fixed and advocate brakeless... their rationale is that brakeless makes you more aware and you plan ahead better :roll:

not going to name and shame them as they are a decent bunch of guys otherwise but I do think they are wrong on this point of view

meh, their choice

It's not really their choice as it is illegal to sell a bike for use on the road that does not have a front and rear brake (a fixed wheel counts as a rear brake for these purposes).

I see a few about, most recent was in Evans on the cut, clearly a staff member on his day off, had an outrageously fashionafied wankmobile with plastic "aero" five spokes in bright green, narrow risers, no brakes, bmx style grips, flat pedals with leather track style toe loops - you know - the works.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Stuey01 wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

meh, their choice

It's not really their choice as it is illegal to sell a bike for use on the road that does not have a front and rear brake (a fixed wheel counts as a rear brake for these purposes).

I see a few about, most recent was in Evans on the cut, clearly a staff member on his day off, had an outrageously fashionafied wankmobile with plastic "aero" five spokes in bright green, narrow risers, no brakes, bmx style grips, flat pedals with leather track style toe loops - you know - the works.

How I would love to see that bike (WITHOUT its rider, mind) go beneath an 18-wheeler...
  • Gilbie
    Gilbie Posts: 99
    Interesting thread, haviing only just ventured into the world of SS I do find I ride more aggressively. Finding that once I've wound up to cruising speed then I feel that it needs to be maintained - regardless of traffic. On the same stretch of road with the MTB I ride far more sedately. Could never ride in jeans, heavy sweaty denim that could pinch your privates at any time :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I saw one this morning on a shiny new Charge Plug or something. Skinny jeans, white man's afro, big sunglasses, ipod and riding like a tw@t on the pavement, scattering the peds as a he went.

I ride an SS myself, and frankly think the whole stripped down back to basics fixie homebrew thing is great in principle. But seriously - some people just need a punch [JOKE].

I'm sending the fakenger fashion police around to your gaff pronto WTF are those bars on your Pearson :shock:

I've been pootling around town this week on my SS whilst wearing jeans rolled up leg in my normal office shirt(s) does that mean i'm now FAKE?

I'm even more confused now :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Agree, sorry but if you're on-one you are one and you can do one.

I'm sure there are excellent reasons for riding a single speed machine, but I can't see them unless you live in Norfolk and carry nowt - it's a fashion thing. All that 'fitness, lightness, simplicity' cobblers winds me up, it sounds like my (beloved departed) grandad talking - we don't all travel in Model T cars and ride on steam trains, so why have gearing which was originally dictated by the lack of alternatives? I'm sure 1930s man would have loved a decent gear range (...and brakes that work, light frames, reliable componenets, tough but light tyres, etc etc etc).

And the numbers of numb-nuts (and we are talking MEN here) riding round with no brakes is shocking, RLJ all the way, dayglo bikes and fakenger gear

Used to be a plague of them in Clerkenwell when I worked there, the real messengers must have had a right laugh

Rant over.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I am looking to buy a SS for training for the upcoming winter. Looking forward to the plethora of cheap langsters and plug racers I will have to choose from soon.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    SecretSam wrote:

I'm sure there are excellent reasons for riding a single speed machine, but I can't see them unless you live in Norfolk and carry nowt - it's a fashion thing.

Dude! No! There are great reasons for riding SS in London - I love mine, there's no need for gears around here. My commuter gets used all year round in all weather. The lack of gears makes it easy and cheap to maintain and running a 50/16 has noticeably improved my leg strength. It's nothing short of ideal for London Town.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    SecretSam wrote:

I'm sure there are excellent reasons for riding a single speed machine, but I can't see them unless you live in Norfolk and carry nowt - it's a fashion thing. All that 'fitness, lightness, simplicity' cobblers winds me up, it sounds like my (beloved departed) grandad talking - we don't all travel in Model T cars and ride on steam trains, so why have gearing which was originally dictated by the lack of alternatives? I'm sure 1930s man would have loved a decent gear range (...and brakes that work, light frames, reliable componenets, tough but light tyres, etc etc etc).

And the numbers of numb-nuts (and we are talking MEN here) riding round with no brakes is shocking, RLJ all the way, dayglo bikes and fakenger gear

Used to be a plague of them in Clerkenwell when I worked there, the real messengers must have had a right laugh

Rant over.

very few steep hills in london even in greater london and central is fairly flat, perfect place really for FG/SS less to worry about when commuting and you'll never be in the wrong gear! ;-)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    SecretSam wrote:

I'm sure there are excellent reasons for riding a single speed machine, but I can't see them unless you live in Norfolk and carry nowt - it's a fashion thing.

Dude! No! There are great reasons for riding SS in London - I love mine, there's no need for gears around here. My commuter gets used all year round in all weather. The lack of gears makes it easy and cheap to maintain and running a 50/16 has noticeably improved my leg strength. It's nothing short of ideal for London Town.

+1
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Again, its not the bike, for me at least, I can see why a low maintenance ride would be good. I see a fair few riders, riding them sensibly and dressed sensibly.

BUT its the ones who actually think they are couriers. A guy coming out of a side road Saturday in Streatham, Sidi shoes, cycling socks, rolled up skinny jeans, white riding top, sunglasses, white Raleigh riding hat and a courier bag. He wasn't a courier, just soooo achingly hip :? Oh if I had a stick for that front wheel, brakes or not, he'd stop pretty quick :wink:
  • il_principe
    Soul Boy wrote:
    Again, its not the bike, for me at least, I can see why a low maintenance ride would be good. I see a fair few riders, riding them sensibly and dressed sensibly.

BUT its the ones who actually think they are couriers. A guy coming out of a side road Saturday in Streatham, Sidi shoes, cycling socks, rolled up skinny jeans, white riding top, sunglasses, white Raleigh riding hat and a courier bag. He wasn't a courier, just soooo achingly hip :? Oh if I had a stick for that front wheel, brakes or not, he'd stop pretty quick :wink:

I'm not being funny, but there is sense in that garb. If you saw me at the weekend a pootling on my bike I'd be in jeans or shorts, spd's, a wicking top (don't want to arrive with a sweaty back), sunglasses and likely or not a cap - to soak up sweat and keep sun out of my eyes, oh and a courier bag, cos that's what I use for cycling and it permanently holds my locks, emergency jacket and tools. There's plenty of sense in it all really. You might tar me with the fakenger brush but I'm just being practical - in the same way that when I'm out on the roadie I'll be lycra'd up and bagless. It's people that ride like w@nkers that annoy me, I don't really care what they look like, although Arrospoks, riser bars and dayglo is pretty cockish! :wink:
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Soul Boy wrote:

It'll be Apollo BSOs next, which means that as a fashion trend it is likely to implode shortly as the hipsters move on.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • Soul Boy
    If you will look like that, you'll be tarred sorry :D

Maybe your considerate riding would change my opinion, but then I'm sure you're not really bothered what I think anyhow. But put your jeans in your bag and wear the shorts :wink:
  • il_principe
    Soul Boy wrote:

Maybe your considerate riding would change my opinion, but then I'm sure you're not really bothered what I think anyhow. But put your jeans in your bag and wear the shorts :wink:

No I'm not :wink: I could just ride everywhere in lycra but then I'd have to change when I get to the pub/restaurant/gallery etc etc...
  • Soul Boy
    Fakenger :lol:
  • il_principe
    Soul Boy wrote:
    Fakenger :lol:

Hi Vizzer! :lol:
  • roger_merriman
    Soul Boy wrote:

No I'm not :wink: I could just ride everywhere in lycra but then I'd have to change when I get to the pub/restaurant/gallery etc etc...

well indeed while the bike is a old tatty looking town tube shifting bike i wear lycra for surrey lanes etc, but jeans etc for meeting my wife for lunch say. getting into lycra for a short 8 mile round trip is a tat OTT
  • Gilbie
    Gilbie Posts: 99
    Soul Boy wrote:

-1 :twisted:

I really dont care what people think about the District. Waited 6 months to get mine - it meets my requirements and I love it! :mrgreen:
  • Soul Boy
    Stealth black I'll have you know! :)

On a slicked mtb. I'm only jealous cos I'm a courier from the 80's :oops:

and Roger M, baggies fella.

Oh wear what you like, but just expect to get tarred IF you look like a fakenger!?
  • roger_merriman
    Soul Boy wrote:
    Stealth black I'll have you know! :)

On a slicked mtb. I'm only jealous cos I'm a courier from the 80's :oops:

and Roger M, baggies fella.

Oh wear what you like, but just expect to get tarred IF you look like a fakenger!?

what get changed just to pop down for lunch? that really does seem OTT bikes don't require special clothes over that distance any way.