Touring- cycle insurance??

oilyribbons
oilyribbons Posts: 24
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Could any of the more tourers out there point me in the direction of cycle insurance? I assume normal bike insurance would have small print and caveats not suitable for touring cover.

I'm cycling from the UK to Italy in 6 weeks' time.

oh, and the cheaper the better!
Thanks
Oily

Comments

• Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    Well what I've done, which isn't probably the best, but I'm very bad with financial matter so I'd be interested to see what others do...

I have 2 bikes and camping gear as specified items on the house insurance. They are insured for up to 60 days anywhere in the world. I think my house insurance was about 80 quid without them on, and about 150 with them. No idea if that is expensive or cheap. The value of the camping gear soon adds up if you work it out and is worth specifying itself

I then used Columbus for travel insurance to cover sending the body back, getting robbed, etc. You can specify cover for cycle touring as well as various stuff like MTBing, hillwalking etc.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I've used Snowcad/Activcard in the past. Fortis also do a policy.

For the bike itself I've relied on my household contents insurance (M&S - although the Tesco Finest policy is worth considering).