Leeds area - technical(ish) routes to practice on

Maria1
Maria1 Posts: 18
edited July 2009 in Routes
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations of technical(ish) routes (with moderately tricky ascent and/or descent) in the area just north of Leeds (e.g. Otley, Harewood, Ilkley). Basically I'm a reasonably competent rider, but get nervous on steep stuff and would really like a couple of more technical local routes to practice on & get my confidence up.

I would go to Ilkley Moor, but there don't seem to be any bridleways on it. Is there any decent singletrack in the area?

Thanks,
Maria

Comments

• moonglu89
    moonglu89 Posts: 60
    if youre looking for technical stuff to play on theres stainburn forest its craded black
    and double black www.stainburn forest or www.singletraction
    if you want some single track prob looking at skipton hebdon bridge bingley way theres also
    caverley and tong
  • If you can get to Harewood then you should try Meanwood Valley Trail there are some ok bits you could practice on.
  • Maria1
    The Meanwood Valley Trail isn't too far away walking distance of my house - is most of it rideable?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    If you want some challenging but not impossible techy riding I know loads of routes which fit the bill in the Todmorden/Hebden Bridge area. I know it's not exactly local for you but if you fancy a change its worth looking at.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Maria1, Meanwood valley trail goes from Meanwood up to Adel an there are differant paths to take ,if you wont as i'm not keen i could ask a few friends of mine if they wouldn't mind showing you some of the trails. There are about 1/2 a dozen of us in the Moortown, Alwoodley area.
  • Maria1
    Had a bit of good luck this week - I was first female at the North Yorks MTB Orienteering race in Eccup (the first trailquest-style race I've ever done). The prize is a voucher for a day's MTB skills course, which should really help increase my confidence & technique. It's not the kind of thing I would ever have bought for myself, so I'm really chuffed!

Dave - Hebden Bridge isn't too far - I could drive my bike there reasonably quickly. Do you mean the area around Stoodley Pike monument / Cragg Vale etc?

Stumpjumpy - I might go & explore the Meanwood Trail one evening this week - it's close enough that I can just go & play around for a couple of hours and see how I do.
  • LAW4778
    LAW4778 Posts: 232
    Maria1 wrote:
    Had a bit of good luck this week - I was first female at the North Yorks MTB Orienteering race in Eccup (the first trailquest-style race I've ever done). The prize is a voucher for a day's MTB skills course, which should really help increase my confidence & technique. It's not the kind of thing I would ever have bought for myself, so I'm really chuffed!

Dave - Hebden Bridge isn't too far - I could drive my bike there reasonably quickly. Do you mean the area around Stoodley Pike monument / Cragg Vale etc?

Stumpjumpy - I might go & explore the Meanwood Trail one evening this week - it's close enough that I can just go & play around for a couple of hours and see how I do.

Sorry to butt in but i did the walk to stoodley pike when i was a kid, can you do this on the bike ie is it possible on a bike and are you actually allowed if so that will be my next decent ride, cheers.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
    Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)
  • dave_hill
    Maria1 wrote:

It's all in the area! The whole place is riddled with old pakchorse routes and snickets up and down the valleys - I've been riding around hear for over 20 years and I'm still discovering new bits.

If you look at the area in the valleys and on the moors surrounding Burnley, Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Walsden and Littleborough there's no shortage of great riding.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    LAW4778 wrote:
    Sorry to butt in but i did the walk to stoodley pike when i was a kid, can you do this on the bike ie is it possible on a bike and are you actually allowed if so that will be my next decent ride, cheers.

In a word no - it's all public footpath so off-limits to bikes.

The only bit that is legally bikeable is the stretch of the Pennine Bridleway called London Road which runs along the bottom of the escarpment on which Stoodley Pike sits. It runs from Mankinholes at it's South-Western end to Hebden Bridge at the North Eastern.

Once again, get an OS map of the area and check the access.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    dave_hill wrote:
    LAW4778 wrote:

In a word no - it's all public footpath so off-limits to bikes.

The only bit that is legally bikeable is the stretch of the Pennine Bridleway called London Road which runs along the bottom of the escarpment on which Stoodley Pike sits. It runs from Mankinholes at it's South-Western end to Hebden Bridge at the North Eastern.

Once again, get an OS map of the area and check the access.

I've ridden right up to the Pike and along the top many a time as do lots of other people. Never had any bother off the walkers up there as long as your considerate. It's also a very good ride down from there. Well worth doing imo.
  • dave_hill
    My opinions on this matter are already well known. I shan't comment further.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Maria1
    I must say I agree.

We have pretty decent access rights - why jeopardise them by flouting the rules? It's also pretty inconsiderate for riders to use many footpaths, particularly ones where you can't see far enough to spot walkers ahead.

I'd rather bike legally, as it's not as if there's a shortage of good bridleways.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Drop down the M1 to Wharncliffe in Sheffield.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Yes, good idea Sheffield is a fantastic place to bike from (there is more than wharncliffe) but that Stainburn place is a great laugh for a short day
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Bonedeth
    Bonedeth Posts: 4
    Hi

I could help but add my 2p. I know this post is a couple of weeks old by now, anyway the dude that mentions meanwood valley trail is spot on. and if you're close, (I'm in meanwood) its worth riding very often!

The down hill elements are limited in length but rocky and steep and technical - I hit it yesterday first time with SPDs - ar*e over t*t and a few aubergine bruises to prove it.

Anyway if you haven't found it by now. from meanwood co-op follow green road to the end through the park to the hustlers row terrace. right here over the tiny wall. the main path here takes you on the valley trail and into some excellent woods past the ring road.

instead of following the path,climb as best you can up the gradiant to the right. when you reach the top you should be in the vicinty of a quarry Bomb hole - good for drops if you like that (too gnarly for me) but push on in the same direct as the path at the bottom takes. through the woods heading forward and right - eventually you'll come to a hilly corner with some scraggy looking jumps. basically you're here. face down the hill and rip. at the bottom is the main MVT path. its short but theres a few variations.

you must also explore the woods after the ring road (take the path to the right before it). eventually (a mile or 2) if you follow the trail. lots if paths an some rocks/roots etc. from here you can get to the formerly famous Adel woods Jumps (just over stair foot lane). The jumps aren't great anymore, but there are a few quick lines with some berms and drops etc. while worth a ride straight from your front door. hope that helps
  • tharrison
    tharrison Posts: 1
    Found some pretty good single track on meanwood trail, barely come across anyone and some of it is pretty tech. Just a bit short thats all. As for the footpaths....I reckon it all depends where it is, quiet place where people don't really care then fine. Only place I avoid them is where devil ramblers roam like in the peaks....
  • Maria,

Have you been round MVT yet, if so what do you think, is it what your loooking for?.