review specialized roubaix elite

Buying a specialized roubaix elite very soon on C2W scheme. LBS very kindly lent me a roubaix expert demo for Dragon Ride on Sunday. Fell in love with this bike and got round 180 km without too much bother (my first ride over 100 miles) despite only taking it for a quick 7 miles on Saturday. BUT when I took the expert back on Monday and looked at the elite that I want to buy, couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed. I realise that there is approx £800 difference between these two bikes, but I want someone who rides the elite to tell me how great it is before I go ahead and buy! Feels like I'm taking a Porsche out for a test drive, only to end up buying a Mondeo! Do I want too much for my hard earned cash????

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    same thing happened to me when I test rode the Roubaix. They stuck me on the top of the range one and it was beautiful.

In the end I bought the Expert (one down from what I tested) and I love it.

The frame is the same, the difference is in the groupset and wheels. You could always buy the Elite and then upgrade over time. If C2W is capped at 1000 pounds, that is probably your only option, anyway.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Thanks pneumatic - seems to be a bit of a trend I gather - LBS hooks you with your dream bike so you end up paying the extra (or am I just being cynical?) So tempted to use £1000 voucher and top up on interest free, but think that my wife might become my ex-wife! I'm sure the elite will be great compared to my 2 year old Allez (entry level). Just couldn't believe the difference between the Dragon this year to every other Sportive I've done!
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    Had the same problem a couple of months ago.

After much thought and soul searching eventually got the expert (dont like the colour (white) but love the ultegra kit. I am totally happy with it - not sure this would have been the case with a lower range model. Have just clocked up 1800 mostly fun K on it.

Got £1000 on C2W and paid the rest myself. Also got a 20% kit discount after a haggle which paid for all sorts of nice stuff :-)

This is four times what I paid for my previous road bike (now my winter and crap weather bike after replacement gears and chain fitted.)

My expensive bike was still a lot cheaper than my cheap car - and a lot more fun to get around on. Not sure spending a heap of dosh on a bike and then have to spend more on upgrades is good economics.
  • coulcher
    coulcher Posts: 95
    Grumpygrandad - sorry I'm not much help on your Elite justification as I'm also a very happy Roubaix Expert owner. Picked it up a few weeks ago and loved it on the Dragon ride this Sunday. I changed it to a triple which I'm sure had the bike shop sniggering. Also changed the tires to Continental Force/Attack which I've used for the past couple of years and feel much faster. The Specialized tyres were comfy but felt a little spongy. I rode them on the Chiltern 100 and they just didn't feel very fast.

The Expert has the same frame as the £3,100 Pro which convinced me as frame & wheels are far more important than groupset.

Used the C2W scheme too. My 5 yr old baseline Roubaix has now become my winter/turbo bike. The difference, as it sounds like you experienced, was chalk & cheese when I test rode mine against my old Roubaix.

It looks like a lot of places are running out of Specialized stock so I assume the 2010 bikes must be along pretty soon.
  • Thanks everyone! Not really what I wanted to hear! What a dilemma! Some serious sweet talking could be in order! :roll:
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    I've got the same issue..between elite and the comp...think I'll get the comp...whenever I cant decide I have realised I am best to splash out and not regret

good luck
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    I've had my Roubaix Elite for 4 weeks now and absolutely love it. There are always going to be better equipped, more expensive bikes out there, but sometimes you just need to do what makes you happy. If splashing out for the expert makes you happy, so be it.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    I bought an 08 Elite and I love it but then I hadn't tried a comp or an expert, so as the saying goes "what you don't have you don't miss". As a bike it's fantastic and you are only being spoilt because you tried the Expert if you hadn't it wouldn't ever have been an issue.

What you have to decide is this - the Elite is a great bike BUT if you buy it will you forever say to yourself "I WISH" if so then you'll always have the problem however good the Elite is - and it is !!
  • Well guys - thanks for your thoughts etc. BUT the lady from 'del my house' she says "yes!" I turned on the puppy dog eyes, told her how wonderful she is etc etc and she has agreed to the expert! I am in deep shock and about to e-mail LBS before she changes her mind! Now the paranoia is kicking in as I wonder what the alteria motive is! This was too easy a conquest.
    I love a happy ending! The only proviso - no drinking during the week - easy!
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Pics and a review of how it rides mandated.