Chain Reaction Cycles-Problems?

thenorthernsoldieruk
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
So I succumbed to all the advertising and had a look on their website. Found what I wanted and ordered it. With promises of next day delivery blah blah blah. Great you'd think: well not quite.

Both items ordered were in stock and needed at short notice for an upcoming trip. Unable to make it to my usual shop I thought with their 'next day delivery' I was laughing.

6 days later, trip starting tomorrow...still no shoes/gloves (I suppose that'll teach me to leave them behind at at work).

2 emails sent regarding the order...no reply!!! Despite several referances to URGENCY.

Tossers. Steer well clear, I certainly won't be using them again. Very dissapointing. If only they'd spend as much time on customer service as advertising.
Life is hard, but so am I

Comments

• ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I,ve never purchased from them tbh so can't comment, though I find their website very slow too :)

I used UKBikestore for some grips and their next-day really was so I'll be using them again.
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • GSDog
    GSDog Posts: 129
    Strange. I've ordered from them several times before and they've always been next day.
  • Phone them. simple as. keep trying till you get thru.

My custom build was practically built through CRC, only had 1 problem which they sorted very quickly :)
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    yeah i've used them a few times and never had a problem.

TBH though i prefer wiggle anyway, spend a 100 notes in a year with them and you get 5% discount on further purchases. i know it's not a lot but who cares at least you feel appreciated.
    Fancy a brew?
  • mikey0303
    mikey0303 Posts: 134
    Ive just had some gloves off them last week and the service was fine

Evans on the other hand let me order something and a week later decided to tell me that it wasnt in stock in the first place - not impressed :x
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • Brduk
    Brduk Posts: 90
    Well, if you can't even put in the effort to pick up the phone over six days, it can't be that urgent.
    So I succumbed to all the advertising and had a look on their website. Found what I wanted and ordered it. With promises of next day delivery blah blah blah. Great you'd think: well not quite.

Both items ordered were in stock and needed at short notice for an upcoming trip. Unable to make it to my usual shop I thought with their 'next day delivery' I was laughing.

6 days later, trip starting tomorrow...still no shoes/gloves (I suppose that'll teach me to leave them behind at at work).

2 emails sent regarding the order...no reply!!! Despite several referances to URGENCY.

Tossers. Steer well clear, I certainly won't be using them again. Very dissapointing. If only they'd spend as much time on customer service as advertising.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    P placed an order with them last thursday evening (around 8:30 pm) and received the stuff on Monday. Usual fast, reliable service for me.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • CommandoBoy
    CommandoBoy Posts: 173
    Ive orderd a few things from then and had major problems. However its cheaper for me to order from them sometimes so i will still use them
  • I'd made my order from Afghanistan to be delivered to my house for my R&R. Hence no chance of phoning, I'm not wasting my 30mins per week on CRC!

The price was the lure for CRC as they're generally cheaper than anywhere else. Still not great if you don't get your gear on time!
    Life is hard, but so am I
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ive ordered quite a few bits from them with 100% satsifaction
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • well its not their fault if a customer doesn't have the time to chase a lost item... CRC are international, how many emails do you reckon they get a day?

PHONE THEM.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    you know you can track your delivery through their webiste, yeah?

Or perhaps if its sent domestically you just see that it's gone but for me I see the Parcelforce tracking info from depot to depot including who signed for it at the end.

Sorry it's not worked out for you. I've ben ordering stuff from them for ages and never had a problem ... well except when I ordered a crank and they forgot to pack the non-driveside arm :roll: ...but they did solve that *reasonably* quickly and i contacted them through email and had a response within 24 hrs.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • LAW4778
    LAW4778 Posts: 232
    I ordered a Dakine Session yeterday arrived at 715 this morning, so cant complain.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
    Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I've had 10+ orders from them in last 12 months.

Only one that has taken more than a day was my new CUBE, but that was due to flooding and cancelled flights.
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    Ordered about 5 things from CRC for my new build and each item has been shipped same day and arrived the following day. Great prices and free delivery - one of the best mail order companies I've ever bought from.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    They're my default option and I'm very happy with the service. I only recall one problem and that was sorted very quickly so not too fussed.

My only complaint (and this goes for Wiggle too) is that choosing the priority despatch seems to make it slower! Otherwise bog-standard 1st class is virtually always next day.
  • Vimeous
    Vimeous Posts: 21
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    well its not their fault if a customer doesn't have the time to chase a lost item... CRC are international, how many emails do you reckon they get a day?

PHONE THEM.

No offense but if I only got 30mins of international call time PER WEEK it'd be to my family. How you could place a pair of gloves above family I've no idea.

The point here being that web-ordering shouldn't be considered on a lesser level to phoning. There should be no need to phone. Once the order is placed it's the supplier perogative to get it to them as promised, not the customers to chase them.
    Indeed if it's urgent there a strong likelyhood one won't have time to ring because they'll be doing the other urgent things that made the order urgent in the first place!

It's likely it was a simple error but sometimes even that's enough to loose a company business.
    '89 Hardrock Comp
    '09 Rockhopper Comp
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I agree, you shouldn't need to phone, email should be as good (and should be more convenient to the shop). However, I wonder if emails at their end or yours are ending in a spam folder or are being blocked - some ISP's or people I email seem to do this occasionally with my email address.

What about someone in the UK calling them on your behalf?

I have never had a problem with CRC, 95% of stuff comes next day the remaining 5% on the second day. Doesn't mean things wont go wrong sometimes though. Could be worse, I ordered a BB from Rutland Cycles, seemed to be in stock but wasn't shipped for over a week. Well before that I cancelled via email (3 times as not acknowledged) and the item still it arrived, after I had bought elsewhere. I then emailed them on their feedback and main email addresses to complain, never a reply. I guess I should call them.
  • p.fitz
    p.fitz Posts: 66
    strange i`ve had no trouble with them at all....in fact the opposite ahve been amazed at the speed of delivery...had a problem although i had recived my goods E-mailed CRC they replyed with in the hour...sent photo via attachment replacement goods where on doorstep nextday..
    Who put that hill there..!!!!!!!!..
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Interesting reading. I've ordered sh*tloads of stuff from CRC and the longest I've waited for an item to be delivered is four days - CRC to the local Parcelfarce depot in less than 24 hrs and then three days to travel 20 miles down the road :roll: The Royal Mail on the other hand are hardcore - two days absolute max.

The golden rule though is to never, ever order anything that's not in stock.
  • DiscoStu73
    DiscoStu73 Posts: 100
    I placed my first order with Chain Reaction last week: a pair of tyres and some tools.
    I opted for the free delivery option cos I wasn't in a hurry and wanted to save some cash.
    Everything arrived next day by 1st Class Recorded Delivery! That's a 10/10 in my book!
  • fwb2006
    fwb2006 Posts: 212
    Placed my order with them on Monday and looking at my new pair of five tens now. Champion.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yer never had a problem with chainreaction. superb service and they always arrive within 2-3 days, sometiomes next day.

built my whole bike through them, minus wheels and brakes from merlin, both arrived same day so either is good just depends what you want/ who is cheaper
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Mostly good. Took a bike 9 days once, and a BB I ordered last friday arrived today.

Good with refunds and things like that.
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    I must be the only person who doesn't shop through CRC...
    Maybe I should, but my local (Harry Hall's - top notch shop in the middle of Manchester, about 1.24minutes away from the workshop/lounge) put up with so much cr*p off me...!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Never had a problem with these For my experiances a very good service
    and have recieved following day items delieverd on time.

Would reccomened to anyone

Just need to call them
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    Placed my first order with them on Friday for a Maxxis Minion and it arrived 1st class today.Great :D
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    I agree with the vast majority on here, I have purchased quite a bit from CRC and always received them quickly. I also use Leisure Lakes and Bike Outlet, again with no problems. I have also telephoned CRC when I have been unsure of what size, or need technical help, and they have always been professional and helpful.

Unfortunately, with all mail order companies, especially larger outfits such as those mentioned, they are never going to be 100% perfect, but from my experience and that of others I think they get pretty close. Also, if I needed something urgently I would have telephoned them prior to placing my order to make sure they can meet my expecations.
    Ridley Orion
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    well its not their fault if a customer doesn't have the time to chase a lost item... .

Quality...if we have lost your item it is down to you to chase....obviously not their fault at all. :shock:
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wish the CRC website would work!