Couple Questions

schlange
schlange Posts: 11
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
I am a road cyclist and getting bored of having to stick to nice roads and watching out for cars. I used to do some simple single trail mountain biking about 12 years ago and now interested in getting back into Mountain biking.

A lot has changed in 12 years and I am seeking to gather some info first.

1. What are the different types of mountain biking and how is it different from bikes and skills (XC, Free ride, Downhill, All Mountain)?

2. What type of mountain bike rider and bike would I need if I am keen to do trails, climbs, bit of down hill (do not want full body armor), and touring around the Swiss Alps (I live in Switzerland) :)

3. What are the top 10 bike names that I should look into? My budget is about $6500 USD

4. I heard that full suspension is now good enough for using it to climb hills (used to be so squishy and impossible to climb with about 12 years ago). What are the different types of rear suspensions and which is preferred?

Thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hi and welcone,

It would be worth searching the threads as recently has been a lot of debates on the 'types' of mountain biking. Sounds like you are/will be a typical XC rider that will do light to medium trails without any brutal obstacles.

I wouldn't be too bothered about brands, lots of good bikes out there. Seems to me you need something with about 4 or 5 inches of suspension travel. Rear sus is better than it used to be - try some out! Lots of types, pros and cons - but the rider in the end will decide what feels best as we all ride differently.

To start with how about a Specialized Stumpjumper Pro FSR?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... gn=froogle
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Since you're in Switzerland take a trip over the border and try out the Liteville 301 and Nicolai Helius AM.

AM is an annoying catch all term to say your doing XC but like more bounce.
  • schlange
    schlange Posts: 11
    Thanks for clarifying what AM really means :) I kept wondering what XC was vs trail vs All Mountain.

At my age (36) and risk tolerance, I do not think I will be dropping off 5 foot drops in mountains :P

I guess I should look at XC bikes with about 5in rear travel (120mm - 140mm).

So far I am reading reviews on the Specialized Stuntjumper, Trek 9.9, Yeti 575

Also in Germany (across the border), they have Canyon and Red Bull (Rose versand). Canyon seems have a good following, but finding reviews on them is hard.