Wales dragon Feed Stops

sampras38
sampras38 Posts: 1,917
For those of you who have done the Wales dragon before, how do you think the feed stations stacked up to previous years, or even against other similar sportives?

This was my first sportive and in the main I thought it was a great event, for all the reasons already said, and will most likely enter again next year.

But the hi-5 was so watered down I might have just had water, and I would have preferred more savory/salty foods rather than just cakes/bananas.

Comments

• dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    The mix was ok. Jam tarts cake and bananas were good. I had cereal bars and dried figs and apricots in my pockets. Top of Cimla there were salty crisps which were welcome. Other sportives have similar stuff. Etape has gels, orange quaarters and little cheese/ham sarnies.
    I cannot complain, the food on offer did the job at the time - I wasn't looking for a great culinary experience, just refueling. If I tried eating that stuff at home or sat at my desk I'd probably barf.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The question is not the quality of the food per se, which could be OK for a 5-10 pounds event, but when you pay 29 pounds to enter a sportive and you receive half bananas and Tesco value cakes, it sounds like a bit of a joke.

I did the Chiltern 100 two weeks ago, for 19 pounds (10 less than the Dragon Ride) they gave away lots of branded energy bars, cakes, flapjack, branded energy drinks and, yes, bananas.
    Nonetheless the organisers managed to get a healthy profit which was given to a local charity.

I can only think that Mr Lunardi makes the biggest profit he can get away with. The Dragon Ride is a bit of a shame, compared to all the Sportives run for charity in this country, by volunteers and in the end run better!
    left the forum March 2023
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Dombo6 wrote:
    The mix was ok. Jam tarts cake and bananas were good. I had cereal bars and dried figs and apricots in my pockets. Top of Cimla there were salty crisps which were welcome. Other sportives have similar stuff. Etape has gels, orange quaarters and little cheese/ham sarnies.
    I cannot complain, the food on offer did the job at the time - I wasn't looking for a great culinary experience, just refueling. If I tried eating that stuff at home or sat at my desk I'd probably barf.

OK, thanks, I was just curious.
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    I've done a fair few sportives and this was the worst for food that I've done.

I think it is one of the best sportives routes, the descending was particularly enjoyable.

They ran out of bananas at the second food stop. :evil:

The best for food has to be the Highclere. Ham and mustard butties, cakes, flapjack, fruit and CHEESE!

The food thing isn't huge but given the absolute excellence of the Dragon route, marshalling, Mavic, the locals etc. it was the only (slight) blight on a great great event.

weather helped too!
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Downlands sportive had excellent food at their sportives this years. Energy bars, jaffa cakes, other biscuits, ham rolls and cheese rolls. Plenty of it to.

After loads of sainsbury cakes and doughnuts tea and coffee.

Sevenoakes circuit of kent has good food especially at the end.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I've been quite vocal on the Dragon Ride thread about the food. As I recall we were told there would be savoury stuff. A bucket of crisps is taking the **** a bit in that respect.

If it all has to be Tesco Value that's fine. But vary it. Get the flapjacks in. Lose the fairy cakes.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Have to agree with the general comment on the food.

I have done 6 sportives this year and the food was by far the worst of all of them. At the price they can surely do better than the Tesco s**t.

However, I thought the stations were generally well run considering the numbers. Great route, marshelling etc.

A great event and I would do it again.