Hi :) Gymish help + Bike help :)

LimeGreenMonster
LimeGreenMonster Posts: 6
edited June 2009 in Women
Hi ladies and gents :)

Im wondering if you can help me, ive been cycling for a while now (over a year on and off) and have a general base fitness. Ive decided thought that its time to lose my podge (around 9 stone to be exact) and decided to take up a gym routine, im not looking to do cardio just weights as im planning on cycling home (which depending on which bike I take is going to be either 2 hours off road or around 1 hour on road).

Is there any lady weigh’s work I can do which will tone nicely without going over bulky?

Also on the bike front im going to go and buy a Cube Ltd Team at the end of July does anyone own a cube? If so are they good?

Thanks for any help

Nessy

Comments

• Hiya Nesy - welcome!

I can't help you with the Cube but I can help you with the exercise issue...

Only if you enter into a really tough weights regime, with sports supplements and rigid eating habits will you turn into a totally musclebound woman. We don't have sufficient testosterone in our bodies for that to happen, to be perfectly honest!

Until I started focussing on the charity bike ride I'm doing at the end of this month, I was doing a hard, 3 times a week weights programme. I am *not* musclebound, but I do have good definition, in my arms especially (which I am secretly proud of, tbh!).

Are you a member of a gym? If yes, make them work for their money and get one of the staff to devise a programme for you - that's what they are there for - or if you can afford it, a personal trainer - a good one will love the opportunity to help you. Free weights are better than using the fixed weights machine as you tend to use other muscles for balance etc, rather than isolating the exercise to one particular area. However, get someone to show you proper technique. It's not scary, it's fun!

If you're not with a gym, come back and ask us some more!
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Lizzie77
    Lizzie77 Posts: 53
    I cant help with the cube but I would love one!!!!

soooooo Jeleous!

Ive been looking at them for a while and love them:)
    Specialized XC Comp
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    There's a review of the LTD Race here not the same spec but it will give you an idea. Lots of other people have LTD's on here and love them, I don't think you will go wrong with one.
  • Thanks SpinningJenny :), Im hopefully going to join a gym after ive picked up my bike so around the end of July, hopefully earlier but all my money is going on the bike lol :D Soooooo excited about getting it carnt wait.

Thanks for the advise, would if I could get some definition just not too much lol , think I will see about a personal trainer just say once a month just to give me a new routine depending on how expensive they are lol 

Thanks again

Nessy
  • Glad you're excited about the bike! It's what it's all about... :D

I would say, see what the gym staff are like first - some can be really good at devising programmes, others... meh! If it doesn't work out for you and you're not feeling motivated, and you can afford a trainer, then go for that option. A good one (IMHO!) will ask you what you want to achieve, will be able to devise a programme that is challenging but enjoyable and one that doesn't push you so much that you never want to go back again. It's also important that he/she and you get on well and whilst they will want to push you, it won't be in a way that makes you feel incompetent or rubbish.

I was lucky and found a really good guy who has been able to manage my programme so that I don't put too much strain on my lower back, which has been causing me problems for years. I'm sure I've made him work harder for his money than a few of his other clients, but he hasn't complained yet :wink:

Cost - anywhere from £30 per hour session upwards. Well worth the money!

• Major Dan
    Major Dan Posts: 53
    Hi Nessie,

Jenny's right, there are personal trainers and there are good personal trainers. If they just give you their "standard" plan that works on a 3 x 12 (lift light weights 12 times, rest and repeat 3 times) without fully understanding what it is you want, and what it is you're doing outside of the gym, then run a mile.

It makes me so mad when I hear women told, regularly, to not train with "heavy" weights as they'll build too much muscle.
    Women have a tiny amount of testosterone in comparison to men so it's damn near impossible for them to become 'bulky'. The majority of 'bulky' or overly muscular women are those who are using "chemical enhancements". I am sure there are a couple exceptions to the rule but 99.9% of women will not become 'bulky' from smart heavy training.
    Also, lifting weights for strength increases bone density by causes small microtraumas in the bones. Your body responds by putting extra calcuim in those bones, making your bones denser. This is especially important for women because they're at higher risk of developing osteoporosis compared to men. After around when you turn 30, your bones density starts decreasing every year.

Try these sites for an idea of where to start:

http://skwigg.com/index.html

http://www.stumptuous.com/category/starting
  • +1 Major Dan :D

I forgot to mention that stumptuous site - that lady is the bees knees!

• Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Also, only stick to a 3x12 type routine for a few weeks, to get yourself used to working out, then, asap, swap to 4x8 or 5x5 with heavier weights.

Warning: in my experience, people that work in gyms have taken a 6 week course and so have been taught all the standard bollox about women and fitness. Feel free to use their routine but do your own research.

Remember these things and you will do well:

1. There is no difference between strength training and toning. You cannot train to do one without the other.

2. You DO NOT need to use light weights. Muscle is muscle. It's testosterone that makes us different from guys. You can use exactly the same weight training routines as guys.

3. Women with muscles are sexy.

4. You will not EVER look like a body builder, don't worry about it.

5. 3 sets of 12 is for beginners. After 3 weeks you won't be a beginner anymore. Start upping your weights and dropping your reps.

6. You don't need a gym. If you're totally new to weight training, get 2 x 500ml bottles of water and get cracking.

Google the following:

The plank
    ab curls
    reverse curls
    squats
    lunges
    bicep curls
    tricep dips
    pushups (box or half)

Start off by seeing how many you can do of each in good form. The next day try and do a few more. Try to do the above exercises 3 or 4 times a week.

Have fun :)
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04

• 6. You don't need a gym. If you're totally new to weight training, get 2 x 500ml bottles of water and get cracking.

Have fun :)

That's what I did, before I decided I needed a bit more focus :D

I thought I should clarify - I'm *not* pushing getting a gym membership for the sake of it. I have gone down that path before and wasted money. What I do works for me, but you may not need that type of structure.

And definitely enjoy it :D

• Major Dan
    Major Dan Posts: 53

3. Women with muscles are sexy.

thumbup.gif
  • +1 :wink:

• SleepyLea
    SleepyLea Posts: 127
    :shock: I did not know that bone density decreases with age... I am off to the weight room, we have one, I have never been in it before... lol.
  • Ditch Witch
    It most certainly does. Osteoporosis is a particular problem with women due to a lack of weight bearing exercise (which builds bone density) and chronic dieting.

Weights and calcium. A woman's best friend.

Well, that and a vibrator.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk

• Weights and calcium. A woman's best friend.

Well, that and a vibrator.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

• spingle
    spingle Posts: 35
    Hello,

I am collecting my cube ltd team tomorrow, yes I know I have been waiting forever, so I will let you know what I think. My husband has a ltd race (didn't really want to get the same sort of bike as him but after stubbornly trying evey other bike in my budget range had to admit that I loved the cube) and it is a real nice ride.

I am planning to take it up to Grizedale to the NF and Winlatter this weekend so I will report back.

Very excited!

Very, very excited!

:lol:
  • Excellent - I hope your new bike is all you hope it to be... :D

• lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    Nessy I am in exactly the same position as you weight and exercise wise. Because I have to loose half my body weight my GP referred me to our new council owned local gym, I get membership, induction, personal advisor (who does nothing other than gym referals fro the obese) for as long as I keep going and 10 free sessions then reduced rate after that :lol: Hopefully this time I won't end up with a frozen shoulder :roll: (from work) and will keep it up.

Goodluck :lol::lol::lol:
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • Hello lovewales - that's great that you're getting that support!

• Ditch Witch
    LW, keep it up and the weight will soon start dropping off.

It will take a few weeks to start seeing an improvement, so don't get despondent.

Take body measurements too, then recheck every 4-6 weeks. Sometimes your weight won't change but your body will be getting smaller :)

Also, start a food diary (www.foodfocus.co.uk or livestrong.com - daily plate) to make sure that you're getting negative calories. You'll get hungry, so make sure you're topping up with good healthy food.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you're getting on :)
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • spingle
    spingle Posts: 35
    I have collected my Cube now and I am just a little bit in love with it. :D I went to Whinlatter today and did the blue trail, twice! It is really good fun up there. Technically not that complicated but you can do bits of it very fast.

The bike is great but it is a frisky little bugger. It is very quick and light and I highly recommend as long as you have a little bit of experience. My only complaint is the pedals. I am fairly bad at shredding my legs anyway but the metal pedals that the Cube comes with are lethal. I have cuts on the back and front of one leg and the scratches the length of the other. This probably more a reflection of my ability but be warned.

I am off now to find some fluffy pedals.

But seriously, does anyone know of any good medals that don't shred you legs so badly if you are that way inclined?
  • Excellent!

I searched for fluffy pedals - didn't find any... :?

I take it you're on flatties? I've got Welgo 8s and I seem to be able to stick to them quite well, avoiding too much 'shredding'...