Newbie saying hi and after a little advice

mic_Cambs
mic_Cambs Posts: 6
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

After a bit of hanging around in the background I've decided to sign up and say hi and pick your wonderful brains about biking.

Basically I've been slowly getting into mountain biking but have a really heavy full suspension bike that I hate and thought I might treat myself as I'm getting a bit better now and the good weather is coming, plus I've been offered a second hand 2008 Boardman Comp HT for £450 from a friends brother that looks pretty good and he claims has only been ridden for about 100miles.

So my questions are:

1 - Is the Boardman Comp any good?
2 - Do you guys think I'm safe buying second hand or am I opening myself up to a world of trouble?

All advice appreciated.

Cheers

Michael

Comments

• Nothing wrong with second hand at all, as long as you read the tips and advice in the buying section. I just bought a GT Avalanche 1.0 07 bike for £170 with 2x new tyres, which is a real steal, done about 60 miles on it already and loving every minute. As long as its been looked after, and you check it over for signs of damage etc you could potentially save a lot of money from buying new.
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • sarkmeister
    sarkmeister Posts: 142
    The Boardman Comp is very good value new, so £450 sounds like a very good price.

Offer £400 :lol:
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • +1 for the Boardman Comp being one of the best at its price point. The whole Boardman range is getting some very good plaudits in the MTB media at present so you could do a lot worse. Have a go on it first, if he's a mate maybe he'll lend it to you for half a day to go for a decent ride and see if you get on with it. You can then check that the wheels are true, the brakes work etc etc.

One thing to ask him was whether it's been in for a service. Normally between 4-8 weeks after purchase, most bike shops will take the bike back in just to check it over re-tune the gears as the cables will stretch - this is normal. If not, its no major drama as if the gears are slightly out, most shops will only charge a few quid to give it a once over.

Good luck!
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Boardman's are great. I fail to see how they can build such a machine for the price. My mates Boardman Pro had Reba's and Juicy 7's with SRAM components.

They are a racey set up so try before you buy.
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Hi and welcome :D

Boardman Comp is a very good bike, as are all the Boardmans. 8)

I agree with what everyone else above me has said.

Offer £400, and spend a few quid getting it serviced at a bike shop. 8)

To be honest tho, £450 is a steal if its only done 100 miles... thats only a weeks riding!

Bite his hand off lol :wink:
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???