cost of a first stiffee build?

snig
snig Posts: 428
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
new to all this so would be glad of loads of help,the bike will be used for a bit of everything from around the streets to and from work 5 miles,and some beginner's off road,nothing to mad yet,singletrack etc,was thinking on getting a good frame and then upgrading to better parts when I have a better idea on what i want and also to save,so would a stiffee be a good all rounder? was thinking on getting that frame and a cheapish build for now,anyone know any good on line shops to do this as I know next to nothing so would need it all done,and what would a build cost? I know the frame is about £560 but no idea the cost of the rest, cheers for the help

Comments

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Well, depends on what sort of build you want!!

If you go for a budget build, then you'd be looking at around £800 - £1,000. For a more expensive, better build, probably getting on to £1,500. How much were you looking to spend all-up?

Have a look at On-One. I have a slot dropout Inbred, as a singlespeed. Love it. Cheap too!!!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    Yep all depends i wouldnt get the Cove Stiffee for what you need too good frame and if using it to work etc it would go however the Coves are mint and the build price min for it would be around 1000 straight up i would put cheap parts on it would be right quallity frame and cheap parts nah have alook about get very cheap communting bike 100 quid and then build up the Cove for the dirty weekend ride then take the pleasure building it up nice, also have to think work = bike nicked unless u work in very secure place.

so the maths is Cove Stiffee = cheap parts = NO
    same as cheap bike = top expensive parts = also no
    get the balance of:
    £100 = work and gen use = transport / Cove Stiffe and build with good parts = FUN :D
    The Cove is made for aggresive trails and freeride use as it designed to take the abuse, can also take long travel forks cant remember what max travel is so if you say your new then i would look at getting a full bike already done for your budget get on ride and then when got the XP if not allready have then look at the Cove Stiffee. Im not trying to put you off it just think for your use you might not use it for what it is if its a Cove you want theres the Cove Handjob for XC £ 399 i think at mo.
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • snig
    getting a bike for just work would make sense but it would be safe and I want a bike I can use all the time if I'm spending loads on it.

cheers guys,was wanting to pay as much as needed if that makes sense,no use spending less if its going to be a crap bike with a good frame,but I would need to save for it so was wanting an idea,it seems that £1500 would do that,are they all self builds or are there any shop ready made ones as it seems alot cheaper to get a pre made bike and as I know nothing about builds and my local bike shops are just your kids and shopping bikes kind of places.

cheers again
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    a stiffee with a set of bolt through revelations, decent wheels and slx stop/go stuff with controltech finishing kit. Should cost about 1.5k
  • snig
    a stiffee with a set of bolt through revelations, decent wheels and slx stop/go stuff with controltech finishing kit. Should cost about 1.5k

:?
  • snig
    anyone got any good links to shops with differant options on builds with prices etc just emailed a shop a few das ago and no reply,it did say to email to get some equotes but they mustn't want to work?