Astroturf football boots - any good with flat pedals?

Brduk
Brduk Posts: 90
edited June 2009 in MTB general
I've been finding that my standard running shoes aren't giving as much grip as i'd like on my Wellgo 951 pedals, especially in the wet. I've looked out an old pair of astroturf football boots with the nobbly rubber soles, are these likely to be any use in terms of extra grip?

Look a bit like this

product-85058.jpg

Comments

• rackgaki
    rackgaki Posts: 309
    i used to wear them when i started out, they grip pretty well and are generaly quite light
    Dont you just love Marin's...i sleep with mine
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So did I! They grip almost too well - some like to be able to shift their feet just a little.
  • Aldo001
    Aldo001 Posts: 251
    I use skate shoes (Vans, Etnies, DCs etc)
    The soles grip really well on flats
    But if those guys above say they're good then go for it
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    My mate wears Karrimor hiking shoes, waterproof, ample grip with a rugged sole that stands up to studded platform pedals
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    I used to use my Merrells and my wife uses her Karimoor hiking shoes - stif sole, and quite grippy too.

I now use Nike Air Morgan 6.0s with a plus/minus sole - very grippy, sometimes a bit too grippy, have to take my feet off the pedals to reposition them, no chance of moving them while on the pedal!
  • Brduk
    Can't be doing with the Vans, just dont like flat soled shoes for some reason.

Think i've give these a try as my football days are behind me (dodgy knees) no matter how soft the playing surface is. Might pick up a pair of cheap trail shoes (Karrimor/Regatta etc) too as the football boots aren't that suitable for work.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    My mate wears Karrimor hiking shoes, waterproof, ample grip with a rugged sole that stands up to studded platform pedals
    Me too. Picked up a pair from a discount sports for a about £10-15.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Daz555 wrote:
    Me too. Picked up a pair from a discount sports for a about £10-15.

was that sports direct by anychance? I've been looking at a few..not sure which ones to get....i've destroyed a pair of Vans already and need some lightweight pins for the hills..

cheers Daz

G
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i used to to use an old pair of vans they gripped ok but then i got some 5 10s these things are amazing the stealth rubber is soooooooooooooooo grippy its unreal and good at scrambling round on the rocks to....
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Brduk wrote:
    Think i've give these a try as my football days are behind me (dodgy knees) no matter how soft the playing surface is. Might pick up a pair of cheap trail shoes (Karrimor/Regatta etc) too as the football boots aren't that suitable for work.

If you've got dodgy knees you cannot afford to scrimp on shoes for cycling. You need a decent pair that will support your foot properly (preferably with a stiffened sole), allow your ankles to rotate properly and transfer your pedalling energy efficiently. If you have weak knees to start with your asking for trouble by using improper footwear.

I can't get my head round people using football or running shoes for cycling at all. I mean, you wouldn't go ballroom dancing in a pair of fell-running shoes would you?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bacause they work for some people? Work for me! Only way to find out is to try some different types.

Too stiff a sole can mute feel: I like a bit of give as it improves the grip I get with the pedals I use.
  • Brduk
    To be specific, my knees only suffer (and when I say suffer, fluid builds up south of the kneecap) when the impact levels involved rise above and beyond what you would expect when say hillwalking, i.e. prolonged running or kicking objects. For example, I can still play an hour of badminton and only suffer the same mild stiffness that sets in for anyone else in my age group (early thirties). Since about 10 years ago, i've had various scans including MRI's, which have been assessed by surgeons, they cannot find anything to operate on, or cause for the condition. So i'm prepared to beleive it is nothing too serious, and have found over the years that it is helped by reaching a greater level of fitness and keeping my weight down.

I gave them a try today on my six mile run each way to work and back and they felt fine, although it's possible different results may be discovered over time or/and longer distances.

Your advice is most probably correct in a general sense towards people with knee problems (especially for people with more serious issues than mine), and I don't doubt that cycling specific shoes would be an improvement, however, like many other parts/components/kit involved in cycling i'm happy to carry on until wear these out, before "upgrading". Law of diminishing returns and all that.
    dave_hill wrote:
    If you've got dodgy knees you cannot afford to scrimp on shoes for cycling. You need a decent pair that will support your foot properly (preferably with a stiffened sole), allow your ankles to rotate properly and transfer your pedalling energy efficiently. If you have weak knees to start with your asking for trouble by using improper footwear.

I can't get my head round people using football or running shoes for cycling at all. I mean, you wouldn't go ballroom dancing in a pair of fell-running shoes would you?
  • abdultawaab673
    abdultawaab673 Posts: 2
    edited February 2022
    artificial grass for arizona Having removed my SPD pedals to try to get more confidence in off-road riding in the mud and wet, I am searching for new cheap shoes that are fairly waterproof and tough with good grip on standard pedals Image

I'm considering buying some football boots (not the studded variety) as the laces are covered usually and there are deep grooves in the sole. Does anyone have any suggestions on which shoe is good?
  • Perrygc
    Perrygc Posts: 13
    Due to having had three surgeries on my foot and ankle I can only use flats. If on a budget, then I find that the advice from 10 years ago above is still current. I use the Karrimor trail walking shoes in the winter as mentioned as they are cheap, have an aggressive sole and are reasonably waterproof. They will take an awful lot of abuse and look similar to dedicated mtb shoes. In the summer I use Karrimore summer trail/fell running shoes which are lightweight and similar to astroturf football boots with an aggressive sole to engage flat pedals but are well ventilated so your feet will not overheat.